• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Chesterfield v Rovers

What will the result against Chesterfield be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Goodison
I'm expecting to see a makeshift back four or a last minute Godwin Antwi esque signing to play at centre back alongside Goodison - who will predictably play. Apparently we're keeping Fon Williams until Wednesday, I'm not sure whether this is good or bad as I would have liked to have seen Jason Mooney given a game.

My prediction is in the poll above - going to penalties and then probably losing as Tranmere's record on penalties isn't much better than England's! I'm not going for a win as the last minute nature of the defence probably means we're going to concede a goal from something daft like a set piece.

Team I would like to see play:

Mooney

Holmes Vaulks Goodison Zoom

Thompson Power Wallace Bell-Baggie

Akpa-Akpro Stockton

Team I'm expecting:

Fon-Williams

Kay/Holmes if loan player arrives Holmes/Loanee Goodison Zoom

Thompson Palmer Wallace Robinson

Akpa-Akpro Stockton

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This should prove an early and interesting test against a side who will have ambitions of promotion this season from league 2.

Rovers defence (whoever it is), will be tested against a side with decent attacking options that have done well in league 1 in the past (Danny Whittaker ex Oldham, Craig Westcarr ex Notts C, and Marc Richards who scored a lot for Vale last season and someone who would have been a great signing for us.

Hope I am wrong but I have gone for a Spirites win. Our defence has looked suspect pre season and although Goodi wasnt involved and someone new may be playing, I think they will cause us problems and our new offensive players (Palmer, Thompson, Bell-Bag) may still need time to gel having looked like a work in progress albeit in pre season so far.

Lets hope though for a confidence boosting start to the season ahead of Saturdays opener with Orient.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Given lack of centre backs play Mooney at the back. :)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ronnie doesn't sound very positive about this game. It's a difficult fixture against a side who've done quite well in pre-season; not the kind of reward you'd want for being seeded. I share the view that we'll lose.

Likely team:

OFW
Holmes New Defender Goodi Zoum/Vaulks
Thompson Wallace Palmer Robinson
Akpa Akpro Stockton

I'd like to see Vaulks in central defence and one of Power/Harrison replacing Palmer in central midfield.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
At least Fon Williams is set to play which is a bonus. Our chances of getting something from the game probably depend to a large degree on whether Goodison plays through the pain as he usually does, to give us some experience at the back.

Our record in this competition has been pretty appalling since we reached Wembley in 2000, and the omens don't look good for tomorrow. That said, the midfield and forward line quoted by Boz looks good enough to cause plenty of problems for a Chesterfield team that was at best mediocre when relegated last season.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
It would be nice to have a cup run and I think this squad could make progress if we get through this game. Would feel better if we could get a centre half in - to be honest I did not think it would be that hard, although it seems the managment team have been on the phone 24/7.

I take Wotton no longer an option?

White_Magic

Player
Ian Moore
Result sequence

Just checking through the fixture list and here are my predictions for the whole of the season! I know...a bit premature; however thought i would have a pop!

D,W,W,L,D,L,W,W,L,D,D,W,W,D,L,W,L,L,W,L,W,L,D
W,W,D,L,W,D,W,W,W,D,L,L,W,D,W,D,W,L,W,L,W,D,D

Wins - 20
Draws - 13
Losses - 13

Would equate to 73 points...enough for joint 7th place last season! Here's hoping eh \\:D/

Status
Not open for further replies.