• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Chester v Rovers

Player
aldo
yes great effort . toll playing we need to start quick and strong and give em nothing . lets hope the fans are good and sing there hearts out . there are reports of several hundred home tickets being got hold of bye are fans . just hope for a great game .

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
If its a close call then police/stewards will have to have their wits about them because just I alone know half a dozen who have "their" tickets.
If we can get a comfortable early lead then you suspect a large number of their fans won't hang around.
There's still a worry that a heavy pitch might hinder us but at least we're fresh - unlike their lads who had two pretty gruelling games over Easter.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Have to hope that the rain doesn't wreck the groundsmen's efforts in getting this game on and that we're still grateful when the final whistle blows!

Same side as Eastleigh, when we weren't at our best in retaining possession, Traore replaced by Harris on the bench

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Ritchie S may have something to say but generally MM doesn't tinker with a winning team. We might bemoan a lack of bite in the middle right this minute but let's see.
Whilst not entirely "mixing it" against Eastleigh, Hughes put in some great tackles. And Norburn is one of those who has a game changing goal in him.
Just hope Astles pukes on the pitch this time because they've been smacked good style!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Cookie!!!!!!

Player
aldo
get i cooooooooooooooooookie monster . get him a contract for next season . brilliant . we need to close down better . and toll needs to get out wide an run at them . get the full backs pushing up a little more to .

Player
aldo
what would you give for eddie bishop now . he and other rovers legends are playing at cam lairds at the end of season

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It doesn’t sound the most convincing of games for Rovers but psychologically a good time to score. Hopefully we can build on the lead second half.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
AM, if we were winning 5-0 I'd happily see Eddie B there to make friends with one of theirs. Unfortunately we're not, and we need 11 players on the park!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Think we’ll secure this one with another goal from Cook.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Game over. 2-0 Norwood.

Player
aldo
have to love the nooooooooooorrrrrrrrrwwwwwwooooooodddddddd and a 1 on 1 as well love it
AM, if we were winning 5-0 I'd happily see Eddie B there to make friends with one of theirs. Unfortunately we're not, and we need 11 players on the park!
lol cowshed loved eddie was brilliant but did get sent off a little

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sutton now losing 2-1 after two late Fylde goals.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Excellent result.
It could have been a banana skin.
Need to save up for the twin towers!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A satisfactory result and a lot of good news elsewhere. Second place is definitely a possibility and if not we are well placed for third. Macc struggled at Ebbsfleet taking a two-goal lead, conceding a penalty, having a man sent off and then letting in an equaliser. Pressure is beginning to tell, but I think they will get there. Sadly, Chester are now the first side to be relegated.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sounded like a solid if not spectacular win. Look forward to any reports but result all that mattered with Macc and Sutton both dropping points. If we can win our games in hand it’ll be interesting.

Interested how Tollit did - hopefully getting better bit by bit.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A deserved victory for Rovers.

The first half was patchy. We looked rusty after a couple of weeks without a game and we gave the ball away too cheaply at times. Chester were competitive and caused us some problems in the wide areas, with both Mahon and Vose having decent games. However, on three or four occasions we did put slick moves together and created by far the best chances of the half: two efforts off the woodwork from Norwood and Hughes and a good run and strike by Tollitt, in addition to the goal, which Cook finished expertly after another good ball from Jeff.

The second half was much better. We pressed higher up the pitch and retained the ball well and did not really give the opposition a sniff. There were not many clear chances aside from Norwood's goal, the best a lob over the Chester keeper from Cook. The Chester players protested that our second was offside, but it was clearly on from my position on the halfway line: Cook was offside but played no part in the move and James did well to round the keeper and provide a cool finish.

Individually, I thought Norburn looked sharper than in recent weeks and Tollitt continued his improvement. Ben still is not at his best, but there were several surging runs from him today. I thought McNulty and Buxton both had very solid games. However, my man of the match would be Jeff Hughes, who was excellent with and without the ball, particularly in the second half. It was good to see James Wallace get some more time on the pitch as well.

On to PP and Gateshead on Tuesday, where victory could lift us to second place.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
From Chester Chronical -

"It was a sad sight before kick off. The on and off field turmoil had taken its toll on Blues fans and the home support was well outnumbered by the visiting following, who had taken up their allocation of around 1,800 for the all-ticker affair. The apathy was startlingly evident".

Reminds me of the 70s and 80s when we always took over Sealand Road.
On a serious note, a shame it was us that put them down, though they could perhaps blame Solihull M!
Got to feel for their genuine fans. Hope they sort out the off field shenanigans.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The Deva today reminded me of Prenton Park in the early eighties. A club on its knees.

Aside from the number of Rovers fans present, the match did not really have a derby feel to it at all. I hope Chester sort themselves out in time for next season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
An encouraging win from Rovers, hopefully to be followed up with another 3 points against Gateshead before a pair of more challenging fixtures.

Feel sorry for Chester, but there are some concerns about how the fan-run model has worked for their particular club and a lot of dubious decisions taken by those running their club. It sounds like it may take some time to turn things round.