• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Chester v Rovers (Cheshire Senior Cup)

Player
aldo
stay off the paddock there are some nasty ones on there lol ive not posted on there for around 3 years now cus of it

Player
ian goodison
hi AM in reference to your comment about the paddock forum there is a poster called aldoes muzzie who I thought was you (apologies if I'm mistaken) but as you say its become quite toxic lately,

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Part of the problem we will have for next season is of the 9 players who are currently under contract Payne Nelson and ray are not wanted and as January showed it is not easy to get rid

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If Waring was in the Chester side presume not all reserves/academy players? With the strength of the side Rovers put out, we should have been capable of beating their first team and you can’t help but worry about how it might go if any of the current first teamers pick up an injury/ban. While all players with self-respect should have put in a shift last night, it’s perhaps more understandable that those out of first team contention wouldn’t bust a gut. Banks, Ferrier and perhaps Woods are the closest to first team action, so disappointing none of them shone, with RLCs observations about Ferrier’s attitude a particular concern.
Woods actually did ok last night.

I am not particularly concerned by the performance, as I have seen it all before in meaningless competitions. I also don't think several of the squad players are as bad as some people are suggesting. A number of them are capable of doing a job in a full strength eleven if called upon.

It was a thrown-together team, largely comprised of players that are lacking match fitness.

However, as I have said previously, it does suggest that Mellon's team selections are generally correct, despite regular calls for other players to feature (Gilmour, Walker Rice, Payne, Mullin and so on).

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Part of the problem we will have for next season is of the 9 players who are currently under contract Payne Nelson and ray are not wanted and as January showed it is not easy to get rid
However, if we get relegated some of those players will be capable of doing a job in the division below and might come back into the fold.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Woods actually did ok last night.

I am not particularly concerned by the performance, as I have seen it all before in meaningless competitions. I also don't think several of the squad players are as bad as some people are suggesting. A number of them are capable of doing a job in a full strength eleven if called upon.

It was a thrown-together team, largely comprised of players that are lacking match fitness.

However, as I have said previously, it does suggest that Mellon's team selections are generally correct, despite regular calls for other players to feature (Gilmour, Walker Rice, Payne, Mullin and so on).
If some of those you name had given stellar performances last night, I get the impression that they still wouldn’t get a look in. Walker-Rice apparently played very well in one of the EFL Cup games but didn’t get anywhere near the first team as a result. My concern is more with those who clearly are in the manager’s thinking and didn’t show at Chester and I would hope MM makes it clear to those concerned that such half-arsed performances are not acceptable.
However, if we get relegated some of those players will be capable of doing a job in the division below and might come back into the fold.
Doesn’t it depend on whether they’re not being picked for not being good enough or for attitude issues?

Player
Manager
John King
If some of those you name had given stellar performances last night, I get the impression that they still wouldn’t get a look in. Walker-Rice apparently played very well in one of the EFL Cup games but didn’t get anywhere near the first team as a result. My concern is more with those who clearly are in the manager’s thinking and didn’t show at Chester and I would hope MM makes it clear to those concerned that such half-arsed performances are not acceptable.

Doesn’t it depend on whether they’re not being picked for not being good enough or for attitude issues?
What basis have you got for saying players would not be picked even if they did perform ? None as far as I am aware. You can't compare games against under 21 teams with senior football. I don't know what the attitude problems are you are referring to either, as the players who featured last night have all worked hard when in the first team. Lack of quality was the issue in the first half of the seaon, not lack of effort.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
What basis have you got for saying players would not be picked even if they did perform ? None as far as I am aware. You can't compare games against under 21 teams with senior football. I don't know what the attitude problems are you are referring to either, as the players who featured last night have all worked hard when in the first team. Lack of quality was the issue in the first half of the seaon, not lack of effort.
What players have been given a chance in the first team as a result of good performances in these games or the EFL Cup? I can’t think of any off the top of my head. Hence my original comment.

There have been suggestions that Payne and Nelson haven’t been selected due to attitude problems or falling-out with Micky. I don’t know if there’s any truth in them, but if they were accurate then dropping a League isn’t likely to increase their chances of being selected.

Player
Manager
John King
What players have been given a chance in the first team as a result of good performances in these games or the EFL Cup? I can’t think of any off the top of my head. Hence my original comment.
I don't think games against under 21 teams tell us a great deal, as I said above. However, Gilmour was given an opportunity after one of those games earlier in the season, when he played at Coventry. He did well in that game but unfortunately got injured. However, when he played recently at Bolton he was average and last night he was very poor.

The point I was making is that few if any of the eleven who played last night currently deserve to be in the first team, something most people who saw the game would probably agree with.

Player
Manager
John King
There have been suggestions that Payne and Nelson haven’t been selected due to attitude problems or falling-out with Micky. I don’t know if there’s any truth in them, but if they were accurate then dropping a League isn’t likely to increase their chances of being selected.
It is all just supposition and rumour then, is not it ? I am sure we did try and move them on in January for financial reasons, but if we need them next season, we will make use of them.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think games against under 21 teams tell us a great deal, as I said above. However, Gilmour was given an opportunity after one of those games earlier in the season, when he played at Coventry. He did well in that game but unfortunately got injured. However, when he played recently at Bolton he was average and last night he was very poor.

The point I was making is that few if any of the eleven who played last night currently deserve to be in the first team, something most people who saw the game would probably agree with.
You were at the Bolton game, the reports suggested that hardly anyone in a Rovers shirt had a good game but Gilmour was by no means the worst performer, yet he was dropped for the next game and now doesn’t even make the subs bench. In that context I can’t be surprised he was poor last night, his relative lack of first team action since we signed him permanently suggests the manager does not rate him.
It is all just supposition and rumour then, is not it ? I am sure we did try and move them on in January for financial reasons, but if we need them next season, we will make use of them.
Yes, no idea of the truth of any of the rumours.

Player
Manager
John King
You were at the Bolton game, the reports suggested that hardly anyone in a Rovers shirt had a good game but Gilmour was by no means the worst performer, yet he was dropped for the next game and now doesn’t even make the subs bench. In that context I can’t be surprised he was poor last night, his relative lack of first team action since we signed him permanently suggests the manager does not rate him.
He was not the worst performer, but he was nowhere near as good as Woodyard and McCullough have been subsequently. I would guess that is why he is not in the team. Plus we are playing a 442 with wingers, which does not suit his game. He is better in a three man midfield. Several other players were dropped after that game.

I love the way the poor performance of a player when the manager does give him an opportunity is still the manager's fault, because he should have played him previously ! That is not how football works. Wilson has made full use of the opportunities he has been given. CBT has been in and out of the team, but has stayed in it when he has made an impact, as in recent weeks.

I don't believe Mellon has a prejudice against Gilmour, otherwise he would not have given him starts last season and would not have signed him permanently. But he has not done anything in recent weeks to suggest he should be playing regularly (not that I am writing him off).

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mellon’s handling of Gilmour has been puzzling. Harvey played a fair number of games while on loan to us last season, but fewer upon signing full-time. It took ages for him to get a chance this season, picked up an injury and has only been seen sporadically since. I agree that he’s more suited to playing in a midfield 3 and while Woodyard is a better player, McCullough has a different role so like comparing apples with oranges. Sadly agree Gilmour is nowhere near the first team now, but can’t help think he’s a talent we haven't got the most out of.

Player
Manager
John King
Gilmour has been unfortunate to the extent that we have a number of midfield options this season (admittedly not all convincing). In the creative midfield role he has to compete with Banks, Danns and to a degree Jennings, and with Mellon now understandably opting to play with wingers to supply the two new strikers, he does not fit into the current system.

My basic argument is that while Mellon is human and will have lapses of judgement, I believe that if Gilmour was performing to a consistently high level in training he would be given opportunities. Mellon has no reason to cut off his nose to spite his face.

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks to Rio for the highlights, although the pedant in me feels obliged to point out that we actually only dropped into the relegation zone after losing to Coventry on New Year's Day.