• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Chester 1 Rovers 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Ragged performance tonight, by far the worst I have seen this pre-season. Although we apparently have a further friendly arranged for Saturday, I would question the wisdom of playing such a weakened side against relatively strong opposition so close to the start of the season. None of the youth players who appeared impressed, and the manager can not have learnt much about their individual strengths from such a disjointed, lacklustre display, with so many changes from the strongest eleven.

Fonners was not in the squad and it seems he is on his way out of the club. The trialist who played the first half in goal could stop shots, but did not particularly command his area; the keeper in the second half was not tested a great deal. Really disappointing that Fon Williams has accepted an offer so late in the day and really left us in the lurch.

Of the trialists, on tonight's performance MacDonald definitely is not good enough and should not be retained; Toure had a tough night against their very tricky right winger and did some things well, others less so. He has potential, but does not look ready to go straight into the first team, in which case I am not sure we can afford to sign him. Rowe and Richards looked really sharp again and were probably our best players.

A lot of the momentum of the Eveton and Boltion games seemed to be lost tonight, which could have been avoided if a stronger side had played the majority of the game. The Rovers fans probably outnumbered the home support and certainly deserved more entertainment than they got.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Apparently Fon was at the game, there maybe an injury to Ramsbottom and we are looking for short term back up ?

Player
Goodison
If OFW is staying, perhaps the club want to sign another goakeeper as back up, then loan out Ramsbottom to play first team football. Since the Trust are now covering some of his wages, perhaps they can now afford to do this.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Further to the friendlies did we get another one arranged behind closed doors?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Higgy, we beat Crewe 1 0 Friday night Stockton scored the goal

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Thanks Bigmart hope Stockton can keep the run going.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The starting line up against Crewe was as follows:

Fonners, Woodards, Holness, Ihiekwe, Holmes, Kirby, Laird, Koumas, Power, Stockton, Richards.

I would guess this is the team that will be selected against York and based on pre-season I agree with all the choices. Rowe is a bit unlucky to miss out, but if we start with both Koumas and Power I think we need Laird's defensive qualities in midfield.