• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Checkatrade Trophy

Will you attend Checkatrade Trophy matches ?

• Total voters
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought I would conduct a straw poll to discover everybody's intentions.

Player
Manager
John King
I thought I would bump this thread, as this wonderful competition kicks off for us next week......

Is anyone actually going to the Crewe game ? I am definitely not attending the City fixture but I am in two minds about the matches against League One / Two clubs.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’m not, due to usual difficulty with getting to mid-week games, but even if I could make it doubt would bother. Apart from the U18s, the rules about who selection for these games are such a mish-mash, the whole thing lacks credibility.
Though I note Mark Palios is extolling the merits of this tournament on the o/s.

Player
Manager
John King
I’m not, due to usual difficulty with getting to mid-week games, but even if I could make it doubt would bother. Apart from the U18s, the rules about who selection for these games are such a mish-mash, the whole thing lacks credibility.
Though I note Mark Palios is extolling the merits of this tournament on the o/s.
There are only about two lines of comments from Palios.

I know he is vehemently opposed to B-teams entering the pyramid, as he has said so at TROSC meetings I have attended. There would probably be disciplinary / financial implications for the club if he said he was opposed to this competition. I would like to hear more from the Trust / TROSC on this issue though, as they can speak with impunity (unless they are afraid of upsetting the hierarchy).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
He didn’t have to say anything at all. The reality is that there are financial sweetners for progressing in this competition, which we appear to need.
In some ways it’s a shame that Rovers didn’t get Man City U18s away, as a trip to the the Etihad may have attracted some. Or do City play their U18 Checkatrade games at the athletics stadium?

Player
Manager
John King
He didn’t have to say anything at all. The reality is that there are financial sweetners for progressing in this competition, which we appear to need.
The League One and Two clubs have effectively been bribed into accepting the under-21 teams by the EPL: either accept reserve teams or lose your 'solidarity' payments from the Premier League, which amount to 500,000 to 1 million pounds per annum. That was the option the lower division clubs were given two years ago.

The under-21 teams only ever play away from home now, which is a blessed relief as there would actually be more interest from the public if matches were played at top flight grounds.

Last edited:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I'll be going along on Tuesday with family as usual. I would prefer the U21 teams not to be in it but certainly won't be boycotting. It's my team and every home game gives me a good excuse to drive down and catch up with the clan. That said, if I had anything special on in East Lancs I'd be more likely to miss an EFL Trophy match than any other. As it stands, having my tea cooked for me and an extra home match should make for a agreeable Tuesday! It will be interesting to see what team MM puts out. Are there some restrictions on the amount of changes that can be made?

Player
Manager
John King
I think we have to play a minimum of four senior players, so there will be a lot of changes, with a mixture of squad players and kids. I can't see Mellon risking anybody in areas of the squad where we have injuries.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The rules are on the EFL website, but not straightforward. We are at risk of a fine of up to £5k if not selecting a side of “Full Available Strength”, a term of which George Orwell could be proud. It’s defined by 4 out of 10 outfield players must have started the previous fixture, or other criteria like being in the top ten of starters over the season. Assuming we come through Northampton unscathed, would expect the likes of McNulty, Banks and Norwood not to feature. It could provide an opportunity to give some game time to players returning from injury.