• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Champions League final

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Am I the only one to notice how badly genuine football fans are being treated by UEFA? The final has rightly been moved from Istanbul, but why not to Wembley? With two English clubs involved it would have meant much lower costs for the fans and reduced international travel. Our government has rightly refused to relax Covid rules for officials, sponsors and broadcasters, so it went to Porto. So again the majority (the fans) lose out to the glitterati. Ironically, infections in Portugal are rising and they may gave to think again. UEFA originally said that the move from Turkey was to safeguard the fans. That claim looked dubious then but looks ridiculous now.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Uefa wanted 2000 of their people at the game without having to quarantine etc our government said no to that amount but could have couple hundred.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I doubt it is advisable for any football supporters to be travelling across Europe in large numbers at the moment.

The key for me is that the play off finals at Wembley will not be disrupted.

Last edited:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Crazy that they have not moved it to England. As RLC suggests the minimisation of travel should be paramount. If it was held in England I wouldn't even allow non-UK based football administrators to attend. I'm so glad football isn't all about money and expense accounts....

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I wonder if the new Indian variant could have implications for the easing of lockdown on 17th May and hence the attendance of fans at the play offs ?

No suggestion that it will as yet, but as we know things can move quickly.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
As the easing of this lockdown continues, it was already hinted for a rise in covid cases positive tests, the spanner in the works is the Indian variant. The lockdown worked up to a point because even with vaccination, the numbers of positive tests is still over two thousand a day. But as always, the number of people travelling abroad and coming back to the country, whether tested or quarantined. The track and trace is better now than it was, but it not perfect by anyone's standards. Thousands of trucks, illegal immigrants, air traffic is increasing, the schools and universities are open, the sport is back in full swing and normalcy is returning. We have never closed our borders
However, the real problem we have is, food. We depend so much on bringing food into the country, manufacturing is down to 20% of GDP.
We do not have the infrastructure to cope with closing our borders.
We do have plenty of money, to throw around. Most of it loaned from the bank of England, who runs the bank for the government. And it will be the next few generations of ordinary taxpayers, that will have to pay back the loans.

If we don't get control or the spread is to quick, we won't see the playoffs. I think Boris is by his performance before is really bothered and frustrated because the Indian variant may scupper his plans for the economic hit if we don't open the country.
Another, however, that the rate of covid cases around the world is increasing despite the vaccines.

If we do get local lockdown again, there will be restricted numbers into venues and no one in government is arrsed about Rovers.

Keep safe

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
As the easing of this lockdown continues, it was already hinted for a rise in covid cases positive tests, the spanner in the works is the Indian variant. The lockdown worked up to a point because even with vaccination, the numbers of positive tests is still over two thousand a day. But as always, the number of people travelling abroad and coming back to the country, whether tested or quarantined. The track and trace is better now than it was, but it not perfect by anyone's standards. Thousands of trucks, illegal immigrants, air traffic is increasing, the schools and universities are open, the sport is back in full swing and normalcy is returning. We have never closed our borders
However, the real problem we have is, food. We depend so much on bringing food into the country, manufacturing is down to 20% of GDP.
We do not have the infrastructure to cope with closing our borders.
We do have plenty of money, to throw around. Most of it loaned from the bank of England, who runs the bank for the government. And it will be the next few generations of ordinary taxpayers, that will have to pay back the loans.

If we don't get control or the spread is to quick, we won't see the playoffs. I think Boris is by his performance before is really bothered and frustrated because the Indian variant may scupper his plans for the economic hit if we don't open the country.
Another, however, that the rate of covid cases around the world is increasing despite the vaccines.

If we do get local lockdown again, there will be restricted numbers into venues and no one in government is arrsed about Rovers.

Keep safe
Thanks, Keith. That really cheered me up. And presumably the result of the playoffs being called off is that they will give the fourth promotion place to Morecambe. ;)

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Hope he's got good running shoes.

Because Cole is in the first eleven and starting, his confidence has grown, with scoring regularly, his estimation has grown, he is proving that on his day and the right service, he will always score goals.

The same can be true of Paul Mullin.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
On Stockton he did well under Micky in our charge to the first NL play-off final, then tried his luck with Hearts which didn't work at all. Neither did Carlisle or the return to Rovers. Think he would be better sticking with Morecambe or following Adams if he does leave for Bradford.

I still think the play-off first leg is likely to go ahead with fans, but you have to wonder if we'll ever get out of this pandemic if we have to double down every time a new variant appears on the scene. It's very depressing.