• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Carlisle v Rovers

Player
Backayogo
I agree. The 'feelers' are probably already out regarding a change. The slide really can't continue, not just a slide in the way we are playing but also in confidence.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A defeat at Bury and a Ryan Lowe brace would really rub salt in the wounds. Horrible game sometimes..

Player
Nixon
I was on Radio Merseyside tonight , stating many of the above comments.

Its not player quality that is losing us games, it dodgy formations and playing RE bought players out of position.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I heard your call Bossman: I agreed with your comment about playing right footed players on the left, but I still don't think the 4-3-3 formation is the root of our problems. A couple of games ago we were the second top scorers in the division using that formation, and we have created chances in every game.

At risk of repeating myself, I think the bigger issue is the lack of experience in the first eleven and among the coaching staff. I think it might have been advisable for Edwards to bring in an experienced number two rather than Russell, and I believe senior players like Koumas and Holness have to become more involved in the weeks ahead.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Where was Holness on Saturday? Not on even the bench. The fact that there wasn't any defender on the bench, even a youngster like Gumbs, suggests something had cropped up late on, but I haven't seen any explanation for his absence.

On coaching experience, Russell has some. I'd be more critical of RE for replacing McMahon with Gill as Assistant Manager, rather than opting for someone more experienced.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
On the whole I'm supportive of the new ethos of developing our young players, however I'm not convinced that doing this with a young and inexperienced manager is the way forward. I'm desperate for RE to succeed, I really am, the club has had enough uncertainty and upheval over the last few years and we're in dire need of some stability, but if we're in the bottom half at Christmas it will be time for a change.

Just in case anyone needs any more cheering up... just a few seasons ago we were playing Southampton in the league and even beat them a couple of times. There are now 87 league places between the two clubs. Funny how quickly things change in football.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I seem to recall a cracking game when we beat Leicester City too not so long ago........they got promoted from league 1 that season but it was one of those games where you come away with a really happy feeling - not had that for a while.......

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Palios is decisive in so much he took action and bought the club to stave off non-league football. So I believe he will act way ahead of Chritmas if not straighaway - given his fear of conference football was his motive for buying the club.

I really hope RE gets time, but I believe end of October may be nearer the date - if no improvement.

I think 4-5-1 would do it and get ABB on the ball more in a roving role. Also agree with RLC and Boz we need to also get experience in to the team - so yes get Holness and Koumas in there ASAP.............even if it means playing Holmes at left back.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Well I think Gray has hit the nail on the head.....a young and a relatively inexperienced squad, with one or two exceptions, being managed by a young and totally inexperienced manager supported by a inexperienced back-room staff is a toxic mix. The concept of developing our young players, including the continuing development of those already in the first team squad (which Palios has stated he sees as essential) is clearly the preferred way forward but it may need a more experienced and street-wise management and staff to manage the process.
I also agree with Higgy that making a decision on the manager's position, if it is to replace him, will have to occur well before Christmas if a new manager is to have time to evaluate the players and staff already at the club and effectively turn things round.
What I am sure about is that Palios will not allow sentiment to sway his judgement on this issue. His clearly stated prime objective is to stave off relegation to the Conference and given our current perilous League position I am sure he will act decisively to save the club that he, and all of us, hold dear. I have no position, one way or the other, on Rob Edwards as manager but I do know that Palios must do whatever it takes, however ruthless that may seem, to save our club from the disaster that would be relegation.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree that the balance between youth and experience on and off the pitch is wrong. I note that we have played six teams currently in the bottom half of L2 and not beaten any of them. However, what's worrying me is that since ABB's second at Accrington, we've managed just a single goal in over 4 games and not looked like winning any of them. The much changed, heavily criticised, injury prone defence has not conceded very many goals recently. We are not scoring enough goals. You can't just blame the strikers. Other players need to get forward at times. By the way, do we have a strikers' coach?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes I seem to recall a cracking game when we beat Leicester City too not so long ago........they got promoted from league 1 that season but it was one of those games where you come away with a really happy feeling - not had that for a while.......
It's been a long time since we've had something to cheer about.

I do feel sorry for Rob because he'll get absolutely no time in turning this around. He's come in at a really bad time when were trying to avoid dropping out the league and time is not on our side. There's just been too much change around the club and it will take longer than we have to make it work.

We may be just as bad with a new manager but I do feel experienced heads would help as mentioned above.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I've just seen this on the BBC site. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29425241 While I admire Rob's openness and frankness, I think you can be TOO honest in these situations.

I don't know where the 'banners' held up by the away fans were, as I only saw a single banner held up by a couple of kids at the end of the game. There have been a few groans at the final whistle of games, but I think the fans have generally stayed patient and supportive, at least during matches.

I agree with the thrust of the comments above. I like Edwards more than any of our other recent managers, and he is the first boss we have had in twenty years that has actually tried to get us playing football.

However, there has been a definite naivety in his approach at times, and I think the decision to rotate the squad and experiment in the first six or seven games was probably a mistake, as you just don't get a honeymoon period in senior football, even of that length. Having been patchy in the opening fixtures, now that we have had a couple of defeats and confidence is low the whole club is under massive pressure.

Last edited:

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I have a feeling the banners are simply kids jumping on the bandwagon started by the 'Pardew Out' banners currently doing the rounds in the Premier League.

I like many others really want RE to succeed. I've only see us once this season but you can see what he's trying to do and it's great to see a young manager in the lower leagues trying to get his team play the right way. I also totally agree with the philosophy the club is implementing in developing it's own young players. All really good steps forward, that will take time and require patience from everyone connected to the club, fans included. The merry go round of managers is something I really dislike and is a fallout from the instant success club owners etc. demand these days.

I agree that Palios is a real football person who certainly has the best interest of the club at his very core. You only have to watch the interview the day the takeover was announced to see how much Tranmere Rovers mean to him. So whilst I'm slightly nervous and disheartened at our current plight I genuinely believe it won't go unchecked and action would be taken, if required.

League 2 isn't a great place to be building a team of youngsters, so I'm puzzled that the likes of Holness and in particular Koumas aren't starting. I feel that the really promising performances in the first few games of the season had Koumas at their heart.

Like a couple of people have already mentioned, end of October beginning of November could be the defining moments for RE's reign. If things are moving forward no problems, however if we're still struggling it could be, reluctantly, time for change.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Realistically, I think we can rule out a quick return to League One. If you accept that, then survival in the Football League is our main target. As long as we achieve this and the team shows some sign of progress, I would expect Rob to keep his job. It could easily go either way over the next few weeks - either we start scoring goals and winning the odd match or we get demoralised and start to ship loads of goals. I can't see us losing every match by the odd goal. So I think we'll know the score by the end of November.