• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Carlisle v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Keith Curle's first game in charge of the struggling Cumbrians, will Rovers fall foul of the dreaded new manager effect? These games have been hard to predict, we got hammered 4-1 last year, but the season before won 0-3 courtesy of a Robbo hat-trick. The home side have David Amoo in their line-up, who had a short-lived term with us, scoring once but at that time seeming to be neither striker nor winger, but something in between.

It will be interesting if RE decides to introduce more experience into the starting xi, as suggested on this forum. It be surprised to see more than one or two alterations from the starting line-up v Exeter. Can't see that many making the trip to Carlisle and fear they'll come back disappointed.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In the long term I don't think Keith Curle will prove an inspired managerial choice, but as Boz says, we are unlucky with the timing of our trip to Cumbria as Carlisle may well get a new manager bounce. I think Holness may be drafted into the back four on Saturday and I would personally also give Koumas at least 60 - 70 minutes, but I can see Rob sticking by Marc Laird and leaving the midfield unchanged. I would also replace Fon Williams with Brezovan, but I think this is unlikely to happen.

We badly need a victory and defeat to the bottom side would certainly pile the pressure on to our young squad and manager. Fortunately - from my perspective at least - Palios's comments today suggest there will be no knee-jerk reactions regarding the manager's position, and Edwards will certainly get more than ten matches to prove himself regardless of the outcome of this game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This won't be an easy trip up north against a side managed by a guy who has hardly had a dazzling managerial career (including a stint at Chester), but seems to have a real no nonsense attitude who will have his side wound up and straight into us right from kick off. On this basis and that RE has concerns over Koumas position in the side, I don't expect much change in the middle or up top with perhaps Holness coming into the back 4.

Amoo scored on his rovers debut I think and then didnt do much after. One of a few recent players when its never been established whether they are a wide man or a front man (McGurk, Akins and now Elliot Richards).

I personally would stick with OFW for another game as the little I have seen of Brezovan has been far from convincing and OFW, for all his flaws, has still won us points this season w.g. Wycombe away and I think his strengths outweigh his weaknesses.

I haven't seen Palios' comments but the reaction of the fans if we lose to another side holding up the table a la Accrington of a few weeks ago, will not be good.....

Player
Nixon
Unchanged side playing a very unsuccessful 4-5-1

Would love a win, but a think a 3-0 or 4-0 Carlisle win, with the Bury game approaching...

2 or 3 big loses would see Edwards up the road before Bonfire Night

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We really need to get a win from this and we should as they are struggling more than us anything less and we will continue the slide down the table think we will just win 2 1

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Unchanged side playing a very unsuccessful 4-5-1

Would love a win, but a think a 3-0 or 4-0 Carlisle win, with the Bury game approaching...

2 or 3 big loses would see Edwards up the road before Bonfire Night

We haven't lost a game by more than the odd goal so far, so while I can see us losing, not by that margin.

Palios' remarks suggest a fair degree of patience and support will be extended to Edwards. If we don't look in danger of dropping into the conference, I'd expect him to be given the full season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There's not a great deal of confidence from supporters as a lot of us are predicting to lose. I going to predict a draw with a decent performance by Rovers with the same old problems. Lack of cutting edge and some naive defending. 1-1

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
9 games, 9 points. Ohh dear..

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Sorry Ian, it's worse than "Oh Dear" as it's 10 games, 9 points. It's looking like we're Conference bound at this rate!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
No real surprise. Will await any reports but RE says we didn't play well.

Didn't think we would get anything when I saw Kirby and Donnelly were starting in a 4-4-2.

Conceded from another set piece. Edwards as a former centre back should be sorting it out. Unfair perhaps but he is already saying the same things but doesn't seem to know how to sort it out.

It doesn't get any easier with a trip to bury next week. As if last season wasn't depressing enough.....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You've got to start having concerns now whether this can be turned around. We don't seem to be getting any better and now 10 games in (thanks frenchrover) there's been enough time for the players to gel and know each others strengths and weaknesses. Not sure RE really has the answers. It's tough but we can't go another 10 games like this. Half the season will be over.

The league table does make depressing reading.

Player
Manager
John King
A new low in this already disappointing season. A very poor performance in a low quality game against dire opposition. As in previous defeats, we created the better chances in open play but missed them, and conceded an awful goal from a routine set play. That is not to suggest there was anything positive to come from the performance, as there was not: in previous defeats we have at least had the consolation of some decent spells of football, but today we were just very poor for long periods, against opponents who if anything looked even worse.

We switched to a 4-4-2 formation, but as I had actually predicted, this did not work as we don't really have the players for that formation. Without three in midfield, we kept going route one and when we lost possession in the middle of the pitch the back four were often incredibly exposed.

The first 25 minutes of the first half were poor. Curle, to his credit, had identified our left side as a weakness and Davies and Kirby struggled to deal with the attacks of Amoo and their right back. Far too many balls came into our box and Fonners and the back four once again looked hesitant and shaky. In this spell of pressure Carlisle hit the bar, but in the middle of the half we did settle down and put two or three decent moves together: Richards should have scored after good build up from Donnelly and Baggie, Donnelly smashed a shot wide and we a couple of crosses flashed across their box which we could not convert.

Although we had been poor, at half time I thought the game was there for the taking as Carlisle had looked so weak. We did start the second half reasonably brightly, but the game began to drift at 0-0 and it was obvious changes were needed to pep us up. Not the first time this season, I think Edwards made the wrong decision in this spell: he sat on his hands, probably happy to scrape a draw from the game, Carlisle scored from the only chance I can remember them creating in the second period, and once again we were left chasing the game. Edwards did then make three changes, but as in previous weeks the substitutions seemed to unsettle us, and we never seriously threatened to get back into the game, albeit Donnelly did lash a chance over the bar after a decent move.

Individually, I was impressed with Donnelly's workrate and enthusiasm, but he lacked quality in the final third. Max played well and Danny Holmes had a decent game. Few other players come out with credit, and if they enjoy playing for the manager so much, I think they should start to prove it by playing with a little more conviction. In all, we looked a team bereft of confidence and ideas for much of the ninety minutes, and it was by far the worst performance of the season so far.

I would echo some of Ian's comments above regarding the manager. It increasingly looks like we will be in a relegation dogfight, and whatever Rob's other strengths, I am not sure he will be the man to deal with that situation. I think Palios may have a big decision to make in the next couple of weeks.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks for the report. It didn't sound good over the radio and even AD struggled to say anything positive. If we cannot take points from the weaker sides in this division, we are in trouble.

What was the general feeling amongst supporters? I see RE made a comment about the 'get Edwards out' sign being displayed in the away end.

Player
Manager
John King
What was the general feeling amongst supporters? I see RE made a comment about the 'get Edwards out' sign being displayed in the away end.

A few of the younger hotheads were shouting for Edwards to go, but I think the silent majority were just extremely disappointed by what they were watching. The individual who displayed the banner has not done us or Edwards any favours, as he clearly looked distressed in the post match interview, and if the pressure becomes too much for him there is no chance of him turning things round. I do trust Palios to make the best decision for the club and I don't think he will be swayed by the more vocal elements.

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
Just watched it on tv, it didn't look very good, it seems like a bad time to be a tranmere fan

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think that as games go by then its starting to become obvious that Edwards is not upto the job he struggles to change things round to any effect and hasn't got an effective plan b and plan a is clearly not working, we need to be ruthless or we could have a season of struggle at the wrong end of the table

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
When someone like RLC, who I would definitely place into the 'glass half full camp' posts such a gloomy assessment of the Carlisle game, then I am seriously worried.

Reactions: Ian

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
i think palios should make a decision sooner or later about rob edwards.he is trying his best but nothing is going right for him.we should be doing a lot better in this league.the trouble is if edwards is sacked who will replace him to be honest,some people have said dave jones paul ince but i dont think we would get either they would probably want money to spend which we dont have.i dont think palios will leave it too long to make a decision.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
i think palios should make a decision sooner or later about rob edwards.he is trying his best but nothing is going right for him.we should be doing a lot better in this league.the trouble is if edwards is sacked who will replace him to be honest,some people have said dave jones paul ince but i dont think we would get either they would probably want money to spend which we dont have.i dont think palios will leave it too long to make a decision.
I still think they'll give him a bit more time and maybe assess around Xmas time. If fortunes don't improve pretty soonish, I can't see the board sticking it out. I like RE and I can see what he's trying to build but he doesn't have the experience and with non-league football at stake we can't afford experimentation. We need experience at the helm and we need a settled, balanced team that will go out each week and give a consistently battling performance to get us up the league.

The aim it seems now (after 10 games) is not to try and push for the top places, but to get a series of solid wins under our belt, get some confidence back in the team and steadily get through this season.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
It would be a brave man who forecasts anything other than another defeat on Saturday up at Bury, a defeat which, with other results possibly "going against" us from the 4 teams currently below us, could see us in the bottom 2 with a quarter of the season over and it would not surprise me if that is the case come 5 o'clock on Sataurday the "subs board" will be held up for RE. With their stated aim for this season being retention of League status, I cannot see the Palios' putting up with a further slide down the League. Given that RE was not a Palios' appointment, I feel there will be less of an "emotional" tie to the current manager. Also as any new appointment would need time, and games, to assess the current squad prior to determining replacements in the January "window" I cannot see someone who is as football savvy as Mark Palios leaving any decision on management change until the "last minute"and it wouldn't surprise me if "contingency" plans are not already in place and frankly after such an abysmal start to the season I would be disappointed if such plans were not in place. With only 12 games left (7 at home), after the Bury game, before the "window" opens I would hazard a guess that the Bury result may well be pivotal in determining RE's future. And as RLC says I will trust Palios to act in the club's best interests.