• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Carlisle United Friendly

ADD

Player
Norwood
Miller and Jennings start up front - slightly surprised I thought MM would go for Mullin and Miller again. Ray in for Nelson - that will be interesting to see how he does with Manny.

I also see there is a a trialist on the bench. anyone know who?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Blackett-Taylor & Nelson injured hopefully not for too long, no word yet on the trialist

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would guess tonight's team is close to the one that will start against Rochdale. It sounds like we are battering them but can't find the net.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Despite hitting the bar 3 times we are 2 0 down

Player
Manager
John King
Difficult to know what to make of it from afar. We have certainly had our chances but are getting pummelled 3-0.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just one of them games. I'd be more worried if we weren't getting the chances.

Player
aldo
the main concern is that we are conceding loads of goals and only scored in two behinde closed door games . its not filling me with confodence . 15 in 5 games at least its happening now so they can sort it out

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm never sure how much weight can be laid on pre-season friendlies, but it is a concern that in defence, where our recruiting seemed the strongest area, this hasn't carried through to these games.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Last summer's games were hardly brilliant but look what happened when the real stuff started. Teams chop and change so much it can be difficult to judge how a settled team would perform. However, statistically and confidence-wise it doesn't look good at the moment.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I agree and appreciate 100% it is only pre-season and I know we hit the woodwork several times but even so we should not be losing 3-0 to Carlisle..
If it finished 0-0 after we hit the woodwork several times fair enough but to concede 3 is not good especially as Pressley said that they had a full training session in the morning before the game - maybe true may not be I don't know.
Of course it could all turn around against Rochdale but the fact MM is already tinkering with his formation and switching back to 1 up front is a concern in my book. I had thought he would go with Miller and Mullin up front.
Still not heard who the trialist was? For those there did he look any good and do we know who he is?

Player
Manager
John King
I agree and appreciate 100% it is only pre-season and I know we hit the woodwork several times but even so we should not be losing 3-0 to Carlisle..
If it finished 0-0 after we hit the woodwork several times fair enough but to concede 3 is not good especially as Pressley said that they had a full training session in the morning before the game - maybe true may not be I don't know.
Of course it could all turn around against Rochdale but the fact MM is already tinkering with his formation and switching back to 1 up front is a concern in my book. I had thought he would go with Miller and Mullin up front.
Still not heard who the trialist was? For those there did he look any good and do we know who he is?
If Mellon can't try different formations now, when can he do it ? I think we will play with both two and one up front at different times, against different opposition, and he obviously wants to see how both systems operate.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Playing with one up front only really works if you have a player who can do it well. Nors was excellent when on his own as we all know.

Mille and Mullin don’t seem the lone striker type and I’m not sure about Payne or ponticelli but time will tell

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
That was Carlisle's final friendly.
Our season finished two weeks after theirs so it's likely they started training earlier than us.
No alarm bells for me yet.
May not be so relaxed if Dale give us a smacking next week though!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I really don't know why people get so involved in the results of friendly games. It really doesnt matter. Now is the chance for getting fitness levels up and experimenting with different formations.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky said post match he’s still looking to bring another attacking player in with some pace to get in behind.

Blackett Taylor having a scan on an Achilles problem

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Playing with one up front only really works if you have a player who can do it well. Nors was excellent when on his own as we all know.

Mille and Mullin don’t seem the lone striker type and I’m not sure about Payne or ponticelli but time will tell
I think Mullin could play as a lone striker and has the necessary work-rate. Miller could have in his prime but lacks the fitness and stamina to do so now. Like you no idea regarding the others.

ADD

Player
Norwood
If Mellon can't try different formations now, when can he do it ? I think we will play with both two and one up front at different times, against different opposition, and he obviously wants to see how both systems operate.
That's a very fair point RLC
I guess I was expecting that Miller and Mullin would-be given as much game time as possible to get an understanding going.