• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Captain next season?

• Thread starter Birkenhead Born and Bred
  • Start date
B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Now that Jacko is at Blackpool. Who do you people would like to see as Tranmere Captain next season. I would like to see Gareth Taylor as captain, I see him as a good leader. If Gareth Roberts stayed I would of made him captain felt he was the heart and soul of the club.

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
if hes fit i wud love to see achto given the band. he has saved us so many times over the years but he wud have to be playing to captain. Taylor as vice captain

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I prefer midfielders as captains, as they cover mosrt parts of a pitch. However, its also good for a captain to have been at a club for sometime, is established and respected. This would have to be Achterberg. But.. I'm not convinced he's a leader. I'd like to say one of the new guys, but I don't know enough about their personalities to judge. I guess McAteer if and when he plays!

DixieDean

Ian said:
I prefer midfielders as captains, as they cover mosrt parts of a pitch. However, its also good for a captain to have been at a club for sometime, is established and respected. This would have to be Achterberg. But.. I'm not convinced he's a leader. I'd like to say one of the new guys, but I don't know enough about their personalities to judge. I guess McAteer if and when he plays!

I agree....which bit? all of it. took the words out of my mouth really....

white life

white for life
Player
but when achtos fit he is nearly always plays. macca will not be able to last all game every game and we will have to keep swapping captains when he goes off or is left out, thats why i wud like achto as he is always there when fit

Player
Morrisey
I dont really want a coach as a manager. I would go for Mullin or if he brings in an experienced defender then he could get the band.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
I would have to agree with the Achterberg camp. I think he's the strongest influence on the pitch and if he manages to recover from the mother of all annoying injuries I think that in itself would be a huge encouragement to the squad.

If McAteer wasn't player coach then I would pick him as captain but as someone has already said, he'd be chucking the armband at someone else everytime he comes off the pitch which wouldn't be good.

white life

white for life
Player
we actually agreed on something nomur.
this could be the start of something special! LOL

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Careful I don't change me mind mate. LOL!!!

NO you're dead right mate

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I'd have to go for Achto too if he gets over his injury problems.

B

Banana Army

I'm waiting to be slated here, but im going for Goodison. If he stays he'll be a rejuvinated player at CB and will lead us well.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Banana Army said:
I'm waiting to be slated here, but im going for Goodison. If he stays he'll be a rejuvinated player at CB and will lead us well.

Well I see where you coming from but I cant see it him as captain meself. I dont really like goalkeepers as captains but I think Acterberg would make a good captain hes a keeper when playing never that shuts up and encourages players and organises really well at times.

Player
Morrisey
I think that it needs to be soeone who is more involved in the game. As you say his communication is good and I think that he should be left to his own devises. wouldn't complain if he got it though!

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
I'm steering towards Goodison too as he seems to have got a new lease of life and a bit more confidence in his ability under RM.

But as I don't see the matches first hand, who's doing the shouting on the field. Is anyone impressed enough in either Mullin or McLaren, as they seem to be settling in at the centre of midfield.

Or has Ronnie put his faith in Sheriff and given him the armband again today as a sign of things to come??

B

Banana Army

nomur said:
I'm steering towards Goodison too as he seems to have got a new lease of life and a bit more confidence in his ability under RM.

But as I don't see the matches first hand, who's doing the shouting on the field. Is anyone impressed enough in either Mullin or McLaren, as they seem to be settling in at the centre of midfield.

Or has Ronnie put his faith in Sheriff and given him the armband again today as a sign of things to come??

Still sticking with Goodi, but i wouldn't complain at Candsell Sherrif

Player
Morrisey
Well as he didnt start Achto because he wanted Ward to start because he would be starting on Saturday I would think that it will be Sheriff. I think yesterday was a complete dress rehearsal for next week.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
He doesn't look like a captain to me that Sherriff, don't think he said a word all game yesterday! Gavin Ward on the other hand gave a lovely match commentary which was very funny. Showed he cares, but some of his advice wasn't all that helpful and sometimes a bit obvious. egs. we looked dodgy from a set play and someone told him to come for it and punch it away. F**king tell the f**king captain! and every time we needed to defend high balls he shouted, head it, head it!=D> :lol:

He gets my vote, all the others seem very timid and not vocal at all, as if they're scared of each other or summat.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Well Sheriff has got it... he should be ok. Only time will tell though!