• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Cambridge v Rovers

Cambridge v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Abbey Stadium
Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

drwhoman

To play with one striker you need a midfielder or two who is capable of scoring regularly. Unfortunately, that is probably not the case with the players we have, capable that they might be in other skills. No goals in the first three games. I wonder if that is an unfortunate record for Rovers?

Player
aldo
for god's sake ok we did not score, but we where 1000miles better than the other week, and things can only get better. we play the reds u21s on Tuesday we will need a strong team out can,t see too many changes think it will be Payne and Woolery up top

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I guess the two strikers argument depends on the quality of the squad. When we had cook and Nors in the national league then you sort out a system with 2 up front as neither could be left out.

whereas now we have Vaughan , Payne and Ferrier. Vaughan is the main man but Jacko (and most of the SWA), clearly don’t think Payne is good enough to partner Vaughan. Time will tell if Ferrier can partner Vaughan but the one up front may just be because he only has confidence in Vaughan at this level

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I guess the two strikers argument depends on the quality of the squad. When we had cook and Nors in the national league then you sort out a system with 2 up front as neither could be left out.

whereas now we have Vaughan , Payne and Ferrier. Vaughan is the main man but Jacko (and most of the SWA), clearly don’t think Payne is good enough to partner Vaughan. Time will tell if Ferrier can partner Vaughan but the one up front may just be because he only has confidence in Vaughan at this level
I think there is some truth in this.

The real quality in this squad is in the midfield and wide areas, where we have an embarrassment of riches (Spearing, Banks, Morris, Khan, Feeney, Woolery, CBT) whereas we have only one striker that is proven as top quality at this level (Vaughan). That is bound to influence team selections and tempt the manager to play five across midfield.

However, I think Jacko would be a relatively cautious manager regardless of his options. He spent his career as a central defender and is only a few games into his first managerial job, and is probably still wary of defensively shambolic performances like last Saturday's, which could cost him his job very early on.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’ve been surprised that we’ve gone down the lone striker route, but can see the validity in what’s said by RLC and Sparky above. Unsure why there’s such a negative view about Payne though. MJ has made encouraging noises about him and in the games I saw of him last season, he wasn’t stand out terrible in the way Ray often was. With Ferrier out of the picture at present and the lack of any other strikers on our books, it must be worth giving Payne some match time with Vaughan to see if an understanding can develop

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I wonder whether we are trying to get Payne off the wage bill before the end of October, and bring in an upgrade on (potentially) lower wages.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
An interesting idea, RLC. While there are undoubtedly uncontracted upgrades out there, unless a move is to Payne’s advantage, hard to see him moving on.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Unless we bring in another striker then realistically with the squad we have & formations we use then we will struggle for goals all season.