• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Cambridge v Rovers

Cambridge v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Abbey Stadium
Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
0-0 HT. Much better from Rovers but still waiting for that elusive goal.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We have dominated and should be ahead. We have controlled midfield and played some great football and the only worry is that we have not scored when on top. Cambridge look average.

Miles better than last week.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
From the commentary it sounded like Cambridge got back into it more after a bright start from Rovers. Hope that the failure to take advantage of those early chances doesn’t come back to bite us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They did get into it Boz but we have still been the better side. Just still a bit lightweight up front.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Still cant score a goal although sounds like playing much better so far.

Be interesting the longer it stays 0 0 will Jacko be bold enough to put more attack minded players on.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Relentless from Rovers now. Incredible we have not scored.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A good result on paper away from home but unfortunately it’s another game without scoring.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Still cant win or score though sounded much better, need that first win quickly to build confidence

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Vaughan did actually score but was ruled out for offside. Hard to see from the limited angles but Jackson was not a happy bunny at full time. Seemed harsh.
There was only one team in it today and Rovers were excellent. Defensively solid, midfield controlled the game from start to finish and if we can click up front and get some goals going in there are definite positive signs.

Player
Manager
John King
An excellent performance from Rovers and I am gutted we did not get the win we deserved.

We looked much better balanced with Morris in the hole and Khan and Feeney out wide, and some of the one-touch football through midfield was fantastic at times. The one concern is that despite being so dominant we did not create hatfuls of chances. However, we hit the bar twice and Vaughan had three or four good opportunities, and we were unlucky with the disallowed goal which did not look offside.

I think several players had their best games of the season. Khan looked much more comfortable on the wing and was excellent, Spearing was very sharp, keeping his passing simple and winning fifty-fifties, and I thought Banks was superb and our best player, the real lynchpin in midfield. Defensively we were solid; Clarke had Mullin in his pocket and both full backs were excellent.

We looked a far better side than Cambridge, individually and collectively, and surely if we keep playing like that the goals will come and we will progress up the table.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounded like we deserved a win, much improved performances across the board. Perhaps Payne should have gone on for the last ten minutes.

Player
Manager
John King
It sounded like we deserved a win, much improved performances across the board. Perhaps Payne should have gone on for the last ten minutes.
I thought we should have switched to two strikers at some stage.

We were so dominant in midfield I can understand Jacko not wanting to change things, but at some point you have to trust that our players are better than theirs and go full on for the win.

The balance is not quite right at the moment, but it was a massive improvement today.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
What a difference a week makes, that was a remarkable turnaround from last week. We dominated the game and played some real nice football with passion and commitment. We certainly deserved to win this match on that performance and we were desperately unlucky to have our goal disallowed for offside. Although the camera angle wasn't great it certainly looked onside to me, and how we missed that chance late on shows how you need a modicum of luck to win matches. A big step forward and a satisfying performance all round. More of the same in future the goals will come and we will definitely move forward. Onwards and upwards SWA.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Have to say the transformation was amazing from the horrendous performance last week. Some great football in a 10 minute spell in the first half especially. Ok Cheltenham were a much better side than Cambridge but even so. As an aside how Cambridge had won their first 2 with an 8 goal difference baffles me as I thought they were poor.
Banks and Feeney excellent as was Morris. Khan also very good today. Spearing much better but to my mind does not do anything spectacular. Defence pretty solid after the very early scare though not really tested that much. Vaughan may or may not have had a valid goal disallowed not that he knew that much about it but otherwise was not great. Two bad misses - should at least have hit the target.
Main issue for me was Jacko's tactics. Not starting with or at the very least bringing Payne on was far too defensive IMO. I would still prefer that we started with 2 up front as Vaughan was still too isolated.
Also to have 14 corners and 58% posession without a goal is disappointing - with that amount of dominance we should have been easy winners.
Will be interesting to se what Jacko does Tuesday - maybe will try 442 although obviously will be resting many players.

Player
Manager
John King
I thought Vaughan played well personally. He scored a perfectly good goal and forced a good save from their keeper in the first half in addition to the other chances, which were not particularly easy.

I also thought his hold up play was pretty good and he won a lot in the air.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Still question marks around Vaughan for me as to whether he can score regularly. Especially playing on his own up front.

Two points from the opening 9 isn’t great but some good signs today.

as we’re at home next week I guess the question will again be does he play one recognised striker? If today’s performance is anything to go by then I guess the answer may well be yes

Player
Manager
John King
Vaughan's CV is very good and I still think he is the best of our strikers and will score regularly at this level if the tactical set up is right.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We just needed a bit more quality in the final third and we really would have put them to the sword. as @ADD mentions above we should have capatalised on the set pieces as we had so many and a lot of the time the final ball wasn't there but it's still early days and there is a lot of football to be played yet. I think this will come over the next few games.

It's a tricky one @Sparky because if you play with two strikers you would hope there would be a better chance to score goals yet with the extra man in midfield it gave us control over the game. Playing with one striker can work sometimes but if we do it we have to be ruthless in front of goal as the chances are limited. James Norwood would suite this role perfectly. I think Vaughan is a good forward at this level but not sure he can cut it as the lone striker.