• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Cambridge v Rovers

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
Without a doubt need at lest a point, we cant afford to be cut adrift anymore!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Cambridge have been in poor form ever since their cup tie against Man United, winning only one of eleven games, and if Rovers are to make any serious attempt at getting out of trouble they have to pick up points tomorrow night. We have a few new injury problems with Taylor definitely out and Holmes possibly missing, but the back four we finished the game with on Saturday did ok and our defensive performance was improved. Alan Rogers has stated that Ian Hume is not fit enough even to be considered, so I think we can guess what at least some of the dressing room ructions related to.

Our run-in is very tough and this is one of the 'easier' of our last ten games. I have a sneaking feeling we will get something tomorrow night - hopefully not famous last words.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hume was fit enough to start at York, yet isn't fit enough now? How's that happened exactly? I trust very little that eminates from Adams and it's a shame than Alan Rogers, a decent player for Rovers in his time, spews out this line.

Going on his recent selection form, if the back four that ended the game at Northampton looked like an improvement, then Adams will change things, recall Dugdale, put Molyneux at left-back or something equally crass. He's probably gutted the Blades have recalled McGahey. Doubtless Jennings and Power will be shoo-ins for midfield again, while Donnelly, if he starts will once more be shunted onto the wing.

I hope your sneaking feeling about us getting something tomorrow night is correct RLC, as usual I am less optimistic.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Was there any point signing Hume as he is always 'unfit'. He's had weeks to get himself fit and has played reserve games etc..

Anyway, the usual pre-match nonsense has been spouted out about the players working hard in training and them being up for the game blah blah.. Let's see if they can actually convert that into some desperately needed points. A draw would at least stop the rot.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's interesting that this thread wasn't started until just over 24 hours before the game and nobody has seriously tried to pick the team. It shows how little we look forward to games these days and how much we prefer to talk about general issues within the club. I can only agree with most of what's been said above. The sooner those "dressing room issues" are sorted the better.

Yes, we need at least a point tonight. If not, we've lost six games on the bounce. The last time one of Micky's teams did that was in September at Port Vale and he resigned immediately. He must be under intolerable pressure and I hope for his sake more than anyone's we get a result tonight.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
0 - 0 is the best we can hope for I fear. Too late to re-embed it now, but I believe M.A. should have stuck to three at the back and give us flexibility further around the park - it did seem to be his favoured set up earlier in the tenure when he was initially stopping the rot.

Wonder whether Hume and Koumas don't get as many starts because they may be on an increased payment when they play and just a basic retainer unless they get on.

Hope Donelly starts and is not isolated - whichever position he plays him.

Gate probably 3.8k

Player
Liam Palmer
I'm just off the phone to Micky, here's the starting line up for tonight (433):

Hume
Donnelly, Shuker, Kirby, Myrie-Williams
fon Williams, Power, Odejayi
Thompson, Holmes, Dugdale
The man's a genius, eh?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm just off the phone to Micky, here's the starting line up for tonight (433):

Hume
Donnelly, Shuker, Kirby, Myrie-Williams
fon Williams, Power, Odejayi
Thompson, Holmes, Dugdale
The man's a genius, eh?
Ha, but that team might actually get us some points!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Higgy - I think Hume & Koumas not playing much is all down to their fitness. Even before Jason's recent injury I always felt the 2 yrs or so he had out of the game would mean he would never be able to get back to a core fitness level required even for L2.

As for Hume, I'm not sure when the indian league finished but I think there was a gap over Xmas where he may have gone weeks without meaningful training so again fitness issues.

As for tonights game we need to get something so Donnelly must play - he is by far our best chance of scoring a goal, especially if played up top in my opinion. Playing a solid 4-5-1 is all very well but we need to pick up wins not draws or narrow defeats. Saying that, I would take a draw tonight to at least to stop the rot and keep Micky out of the job centre for a bit longer yet....

I wonder if another defeat may be close to some kind of depressing club record of consecutive defeats - lets hope we dont find out.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm unsure that I accept the lack of fitness as the main reason for Koumas' non-selection earlier in the season. He lasted almost the full game v Accrington and was quite influential.
Hume I'm less sure about, but still think he's fit enough to come on as an impact sub.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Looking at the team tonight it is hard to fathom the formation. If it is four at the back and upfront we are playing Odejayi with Gardener supporting just behind - the we seem to have three central midfielders in a midfield four ie Laird, Power and Jenno. Unless we are playing 4,1,3,2 - or even 4,1,3,1,1 - with Jenno behind Power, Laird and JMW

Cheltenham and Hartlepool winning already - b*gger!

Player
Manager
John King
I have a sneaking feeling we will get something tomorrow night

Don't say I did not tell you.

It sounded like we deserved it and the confidence seemed to return in the second half. Pity about other results, but this was a MASSIVE win and we are right back in the game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Get in!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good result.
Thompson injured again and Jennings suspended for the next game. Another dip into the loan market?

Player
Manager
John King
Thompson got a blow to the head; just a precautionary substitution and I think he will play on Saturday. Daft sending off for Jenno, kicking the ball away.

But let's not be negative, a vital win for Rovers and a good performance by all accounts.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Great result. At least we never collapsed when they equalised. If we can drag Oxford into it, the fixture at PP will be interesting to say the least. Pity about Jenno's pending suspension. Hope he works out how to keep midfield secure without more loanees Boz. Holmes was not even on the bench and if fit should play - could he sit in front of back four.

M

Mal

Were the fouls really worth yellow cards? The BBC only had a third more fouls by Tranmere so 5 yellows (including the double For the red) for Tranmere and no yellows for Cambridge looks odd.

drwhoman

Great result! Jenno sent off and three players booked. Sounds as it they really put in a never say die shift! Not many chances but they took them and they won even with Dugdale in the defence! The team was set up for a battling performance and we got it. As regards Holmes he was injured tonight but putting him in front of the back four is a good idea if fit. Will be interesting to read reports from anyone who went. At least Micky might be able to smile tonight - shame Cheltenham got a point - Elliott Richards scored - typical!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Very good result, but Carlisle's win at Northampton puts our result on Saturday into context. I'm relieved, but this must not be a false dawn like Shrewsbury. We will need to build on this result and get at least a draw against Burton. It sounded a real battle and we scored from our only shots on target, but we must have worked hard. Although Carlisle and Hartlepool won, York lost and now Cambridge and Oxford have been dragged into the mire. So there is hope. I have a feeling it could take a record number of points this season to stay up - maybe 52.