• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Calvin Zola

• Thread starter Matthew The Rover
  • Start date
M

Matthew The Rover

Ok, not the best finisher, even on Merseyside (but would be a good challange for Jonny Wilkenson as England team kicker) and he doesn't have the best first touch, plus it often takes him 30 or even 45 minutes to settle on the pitch and find his feet.

However, Calvin's height is very usefull and his work rate is fantastic, also, when he finally settles into a game, he is one of our best and most damaging players.

I'd like to see Calvin get a go ahead of Facey on Daturday against the Dongs, if only to see him and let him have some first eam action, for a change.

Your thoughts?

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
I think calvins got it inhim to be a great player but he can be frustrating :lol:

but i agree daggers well deserves his chance

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I think Zola should have been brought on against Bradford for Facey... but if I had to choose between them which i'd start then i'd go for Dagnall because he is more of a goalscorer I think.

M

Matthew The Rover

If we had Greenacre, Davies and Dagnall all upfront in the same side, with Harrison/O'Leary, Jennings and Rankine in the side, we'd have no height, knowbody to win headers, no flick-ons (not that we have many) and therefore less goals, and we aren't scoring many anyway!

DixieDean

Matthew The Rover said:
If we had Greenacre, Davies and Dagnall all upfront in the same side, with Harrison/O'Leary, Jennings and Rankine in the side, we'd have no height, knowbody to win headers, no flick-ons (not that we have many) and therefore less goals, and we aren't scoring many anyway!

if we played it on the ground we'd be fine. It is FOOTball after all :D :D

Player
Morrisey
Tranmere play at their best when passing it how they want and controlling the game! I going to brentford last season when we couldn't string 4 passes together and ended up just trying the long ball! It doesn't really work. I have said for a while that daggers needs a run out!!

M

Matthew The Rover

I know the long ball game doesn't work for us, and I know we are best with the ball on the floor, but who's going to win the crosses, corners and free-kicks which are air bound?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maybe Facey is fitting into Little's gameplan of playing 3 up front, or slightly on the wing, whatever it is, and we all know Little. If, in his mind, the player is a good player, he'll play him no matter how he's doing on the field.

For me, he's not doing enough. We've got two goals out of him in 12 games. Hmm.. I honestly think we'd see a better return from Daggers who looks hungry, and maybe even Davies and Zola.

Davies is still quite young and Zola, I'm still to be fully convinced about but with his problems definately needs to start getting into games.

Player
Morrisey
If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Exactly! Look at Walcott I think, who plays for Southhampton. He is a goal machine.

AS for height! Davies is 6"1', which isn't small!

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
good enough old enough.

yer i agree with thaT.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Yeah whereas that is true there is still the worry of a player just running out of steam when they are younger due to inexperience. I think Dagnall may have learnt quite a bit and if he is ever going to play regulary for us then this will be his season. As for Davies, he is good enough but lets just make sure he doesn't run out of steam.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
id rather play daggers than zola