• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

bury wow what the hell

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Regardless of technicalities, I think they should have been expelled so I won't be signing I am afraid. In any case, it would be farcical for them to be reinstated at this stage. They need to take their medicine and start again, like Chester, Hereford and many others.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Regardless of technicalities, I think they should have been expelled so I won't be signing I am afraid. In any case, it would be farcical for them to be reinstated at this stage. They need to take their medicine and start again, like Chester, Hereford and many others.

Totally agree, they cannot be re-instated for me at this stage or any stage

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Oh the irony! In trying to rescue Bury’s EFL place Andy Burnham has made things worse in a twitter storm by misquoting what he meant to say which suggests Bury would effectively be stealing a promotion spot from the Vanarama. His ‘plan’ to have them reinstated into EFL2 next season is insane anyway, just love it when politician ‘know all’s’ try & interfere in the beautiful game!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
What a read! He seems a very loyal player with a genuine love for the clubs he plays for. I'm pleased he's joined us - and I'm sure he's very happy too.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
And then some gobby jack the lad Shaker goes on 5 Live and gets put down imperiously by MP!!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Oh the irony! In trying to rescue Bury’s EFL place Andy Burnham has made things worse in a twitter storm by misquoting what he meant to say which suggests Bury would effectively be stealing a promotion spot from the Vanarama. His ‘plan’ to have them reinstated into EFL2 next season is insane anyway, just love it when politician ‘know all’s’ try & interfere in the beautiful game!
What do you expect from an Everton fan!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Another one bites the dust?..

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Another one bites the dust?..

It has been going on for far too long at Macclesfield. I do feel sorry for the players and support their actions but that is the risk of joining MTFC. For a pro footballer a contract with Macclesfield shows a massive desire to be playing EFL football but it has got to be the absolute last resort to achieve that goal. While I understand this, I'm sure there must be some players who would be better off at more stable clubs in the NL. Recent history suggests that a magic wand solution to their woes is unlikely.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Big risks getting to the promised land.

Player
ian goodison
it seems to me the EFL are putting the ball back in the clubs court as the know they are powerless to stop what looks like a runaway train,

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
This is really depressing stuff when you think that our aspiration as a club is to be sustainable in the Championship. This report makes it sound impossible unless the bubble bursts and/or the playing field is levelled. As the parachute payments increase and clubs are willing to spend more on wages than income, I struggle to see how any team can make its way that far up the pyramid. Yes, I can see how well supported teams could drop down and bounce back but not how reasonably supported teams from the NL/L2 can move upwards. The only way would seem to be a friendly billionaire, even then why wouldn't they choose to fund a Championship club who are only 1 step away from the "Promised Land"? :(

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The whole structure has problems which have been directly caused by the formation of the Premier League and its financial clout. At NL level, look what happens to ex-EFL clubs. We only just survived (in my view). Now as a league club we get a few crumbs, but not as much as in the Championship and parachute payments distort things even more. The EPL itself is far less competitive than the old First Division. League titles were shared between several clubs since the war, but we have had only six different winners of the EPL (including Blackburn and Leicester) in 27 years. Only three clubs won the double from 1900 to 1992, but winning more than one trophy is commonplace nowadays.

It makes owning ANY football club a gamble from a purely financial viewpoint. Very few clubs successfully rise through the leagues and stay there for long. We have supported a club which has been in Tier Three or below for all but 11 years since 1921. Maybe we should be happy with where we are. Times have changed from the heady days under Kingy and Aldo. Better to support a League One club than have no club at all (like Bury and a few others soon to follow).

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Agreed, but it blows away the whole romanticism of being able to move through the leagues as could happen in the past - Northampton, Swansea, Watford, Wimbledon, Barnsley - even though it happened rarely. It takes a chunk of joy away if you can't even dream of the top league!