• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

bury wow what the hell

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
All smells a bit fishy to me but then when you're desperate..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
They appear to be a successful young company in the sports business with lots of imagination and drive but zero experience of running a football club. Not that that has stopped dozens before. I wish them well.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
BBC reporting that deal has fallen through - an hour before the deadline.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yep, they looked at the books and quickly walked away. In a right mess.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Unlike some Tranmere morons on twitter, I don't take any pleasure from what is happening today. I still believe the Bury and Bolton supporters should have done more to hold their owners to account, and should have listened to the warnings from other clubs and large sections of the media.

However, this situation is ultimately the result of the mess created by Sky TV and the Premier League following the breakaway in 1992. The levels of spending at the top of the pyramid are completely unsustainable and clubs lower down the order are being encouraged to behave in the same fashion. Rather than protecting its historic members, the 'EFL' is now behaving like Premier League 2 and doing nothing to curb reckless behaviour - in fact, it is actively encouraging it. It is more concerned with maintaining the global 'brand' of the Championship, a division with some of the highest debt to income ratios in world football, than serving the game at the grass roots level.

In tandem with the arrival of bankrolled 'hobby' clubs and the threat of Premier League 'B' teams in Leagues One and Two, I see this as a gradual erosion of the foundations of the Football League.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Clubs need to live within their means as the likes of Accrington and several others have done, Bury were paying wages they could not afford on the crowds and income they were getting, they are currently trying to deal with the consequences.

I don't have much sympathy for Bury or Bolton but I do have sympathy for the companies many who are local who will lose out financially due to the clubs going into administration.

Player
Manager
John King
Clubs need to live within their means as the likes of Accrington and several others have done, Bury were paying wages they could not afford on the crowds and income they were getting, they are currently trying to deal with the consequences.
I agree, but that behaviour is still symptomatic of the wider problems in football.

In the seventies and eighties clubs went to the wall because of poor attendances and a lack of funding, but nearly all of the recent financial problems have been the result of clubs overstretching themselves. The wealth differentials between the different divisions are too great, and clubs are tempted to take on huge debt to try and reach or stay in the Premier League (Bolton) or get to the Championship (Bury).

I accept that both clubs were owned by crooks, but I think the failure of the EFL to properly scrutinise owners is part of the same problem; they would rather let things flow as they are, which they see as the development of their global 'brand', than actually curb this behaviour and change the culture of clubs.

However, I agree that Bury should already have been kicked out of the League, and the fact they have not demonstrates how inept the EFL is. The situation is beyond a farce.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
However, I agree that Bury should already have been kicked out of the League, and the fact they have not demonstrates how inept the EFL is. The situation is beyond a farce.
Absolutely. I wonder if they'll get an extension to the extension to the extension? :rolleyes:

It is crazy how you can have such riches two divisions up and here we are with two clubs with not a penny to rub together. Regarding Bolton, I may be a little tongue in cheek as there is no love lost between us but I would certainly miss the rivalry; healthy or not.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
So Bury had to be within 1% of finalising a deal by 5pm whereas now three new bidders are on the table! I can understand but don’t agree with more leniency towards Bolton as they were at least capable of staging games & as they are several ahead of Bury who have yet to kick a ball there’s more incentive to ensure Bolton’s continuance thus avoiding expunging results.

Player
aldo
lets hope Bolton suffer a little more . there fans as do most of there ex players so yes just a little bit more

Player
Manager
John King

There is an excellent article here by David Conn, who first brought Bury's problems to public attention in November 2014. Needless to say, he was ignored by the club's supporters and the football authorities.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
Bury have finally been expelled. It had to happen and now their supporters can move on.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I don't want to sound like a vulture but now Bury have been expelled from the EFL, surely their player registrations become void. This means their remaining players are out of contract. Would any interest Micky? I'm thinking maybe of Neil Danns. He is 36, but was their captain and could help us shore up midfield on a one-year deal. He is a local lad.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think we need Danns, particularly as we are already a bit long in the tooth in midfield. He will probably end up at Bolton.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I don't want to sound like a vulture but now Bury have been expelled from the EFL, surely their player registrations become void. This means their remaining players are out of contract. Would any interest Micky? I'm thinking maybe of Neil Danns. He is 36, but was their captain and could help us shore up midfield on a one-year deal. He is a local lad.
I was a little surprised that we didn't pick up any of their "better" players during the summer - I assume it was a matter of finance in some cases, a great affinity with Ryan Lowe in others and probably both in some cases.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I have been asked to share this by a friend who is a Bury supporter.

Calling all football supporters.

Bury FC have had 1000’s of messages of support. We need your help more than ever.

We feel the correct EFL procedures may NOT have been followed leading to the unfair expulsion of Bury FC from The English Football League.

Help us to get reinstated, please sign this petition, contact your own club and supporters associations ask them to sign and provide messages of support for Bury FC and show the EFL that supporters and clubs stand together.

Use this link - http://chng.it/k9Kt9gdtxt