• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

bury wow what the hell

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Aimson to Plymouth, Maynard to Mansfield, Stokes to Stevenage; they're all dropping into L2!
Interesting that we don't seem to be able to compete with L2 clubs for players. Aren't you glad we are out of it and in L1? More importantly, it makes you realise what an achievement last year's promotion was against so many teams with bigger budgets.

Player
aldo
bury have lost 7 big players and over 60 goals and there manager has got a 1 year deal and around 6 players to train they are in the s$%&t big time . there still not paying the staff . so as there fans are saying who is paying the new manager thats a real strange one . have gotta feel for there fans

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Interesting that we don't seem to be able to compete with L2 clubs for players. Aren't you glad we are out of it and in L1? More importantly, it makes you realise what an achievement last year's promotion was against so many teams with bigger budgets.
I think it is an exaggeration to say we can't compete with League Two clubs financially. It is only Plymouth, Bradford and Mansfield who are spending a lot of money in that division, the first two because they are big clubs at that level, the Stags because they are heavily backed.

Those clubs are not typical of the level and we are in a similar position financially to the other teams in that division, plus Wycombe, Accrington, Rochdale, Gillingham, Southend etc. in League One.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Aimson to Plymouth, Maynard to Mansfield, Stokes to Stevenage; they're all dropping into L2!
With Maynard going to Mansfield, we really have to hope we can bring in Callum Lang on loan. According to rumour, all of our eggs are in that basket now as permanent deals for good strikers seem to be beyond us.

Although I have put a positive spin on our chances with the current forward line, we are short of quality up front and it could be a long hard season if we can't bring in a striker with a better pedigree.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
In defence and midfield I think we are much stronger than last season. It is just the strikers that concern me.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I cant understand how Bury can appoint a manager, how can they pay him when they have no money

Player
aldo
yep its madness . the players not paid in 3 months the staff using food banks . the club been closed for 6 weeks told to leave there training centre . and they have no players and hire a manager . he must be bonkers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In defence and midfield I think we are much stronger than last season. It is just the strikers that concern me.
Agree re defence. In midfield we haven't got Harris, McCullough, Pringle and Smith from last season and Potter, if he's able to stay fit, doesn't clearly replace any of those four.

Surprised we haven't picked anyone up from Bury's disintegration. Nicky Maynard had an excellent season just gone, but prior to that had been through a fallow spell, so hard to assess if he did so well because of his team-mates or a new lease of life in his striker role. Would probably have been a good signing, but can't say I'm gutted that it didn't happen. However, it is worrying if our options boil down to a Callum Lang loan deal.

Player
Manager
John King
Agree re defence. In midfield we haven't got Harris, McCullough, Pringle and Smith from last season and Potter, if he's able to stay fit, doesn't clearly replace any of those four.
Potter does not have to be a direct replacement for anybody: he is a different player, with different qualities to the ones we have had before. In any case, I expect McCullough to sign as well.

Morris and Bartlett-Taylor are clearly the replacements for Pringle and Smith, and Harris is not good enough for this level. Gilmour is more talented than Jay and will be expected to contribute more this season.

I know there are doubts over Potter's fitness, but Potter, Perkins and Banks / Gilmour is a quality midfield.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Potter does not have to be a direct replacement for anybody: he is a different player, with different qualities to the ones we have had before. In any case, I expect McCullough to sign as well.

Morris and Bartlett-Taylor are clearly the replacements for Pringle and Smith, and Harris is not good enough for this level. Gilmour is more talented than Jay and will be expected to contribute more this season.

I know there are doubts over Potter's fitness, but Potter, Perkins and Banks / Gilmour is a quality midfield.
McCullough, should he sign, won't be available for a few months. Morris was here the second half of last season, so isn't a replacement as such. I think Harris could have done a job at this level, but we'll never know. Agree Gilmour is a talented youngster, but more on the creative side. Quality yes, but with Perkins the only one providing much bite, I'm not sure the midfield mix is right yet.

Player
Manager
John King
Morris was here the second half of last season, so isn't a replacement as such.
I believe he is. Smith barely got a look in after Morris signed, and Bartlett-Taylor is clearly a replacement for Pringle. Effectively we were carrying wingers we rarely, if ever, used at the end of last season (Smith and Tollitt).

I agree we need another tackler in midfield, and McCullough will be that player. However, there is enough experience and positional sense in that position to cope without him for the time being.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
And the appointment of Paul Wilkinson has gone down like a lead balloon.

Player
aldo
1 month till the season kicks off some of my mates who support the bury have said they have 6 players left the rest have gone . season tickets being refunded in there hundreds . only the manager is training the boys as he cant bring eneyone in . . can they even play in the lg its gonna be a youth team playing . are they able to do it . also they are understood to belive that they will not be sold and are gonna get a 12 point pen in the next few days . thank god we have great owners who care about the club .

Player
aldo
macc players now taking the club to court over not being paid . notts county not paying staff or players . bolton the same . whats the hels going on something needs to be done

Player
aldo
EFL . now looking to see if Bury can play there first game of the season . we play them think its game 3 or 4 so we might not have to also will they have enough players to start with

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
EFL . now looking to see if Bury can play there first game of the season . we play them think its game 3 or 4 so we might not have to also will they have enough players to start with
In Union the law was to lend the opposition enough players to leave them one short of us. So if we had 20 available and they had 12 it would be 15 v 14; if we had 16 and they had 12 it would be 14 v 13 etc. It guaranteed a game! Of course you always released the weaker players (positional requirements taken into account). Mmm, who would we let play for the opposition …?

Player
aldo
there new manager now has only got 5 players as mr lowe has got another going his way . and now they have a transfer embargo . surley they cant start the season . they also dont have a safety certificate for the ground . .. also most of the non playing staff who have not been paid in nearly 5 months have been made redundant . ... will the club be around on kick off day not good

Player
ian goodison
I go onto the bury forum and to hear what,s going on is terrible then I remind myself those same fans were over the moon with going up, the club has been a mess for ages and to be honest I really don,t care

Player
aldo
i understand all that . but i dont wont clubs to be in such a mess . i think more of the guys who have lost the houses cus they cant pay there bills and put food on there tables . we are lucky with mp and np but if the boot was on the other foot . just remember what are club was like in the 80s we had owners who where killing the club .