• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Brewers v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is not about being a 'devotee' of anyone. It is about being rational and reasonable and doing what is in the best interests of the club.

Player
aldo
as for MM . he will get time of mp but his record in lg 1 is not great . but given his first 3 seasons he has to be given time but how much is a different question . we do need better mf players and a couple solid defenders . we could also do with a goal scorer .. payne seems to be out in the cold . mullin is not up to standard and will move on if not in jan be in the summer the lad from Coventry will go next week he is pants . so we need more up top got a feeling its going to be a busy month and an important one for the club and mm,s job

Player
Manager
John King
In fairness AM, he has barely managed in League One and he kept Shrewsbury up while operating under similar budget constraints to those here. Palios knows that he has massively overachieved given the resources he has had to work with, and he and the club owe him a lot. The chairman understands that this season would always be a real struggle. I do not think Mellon's job is under threat and even if we were relegated I would want him to remain here.

Player
Manager
John King
It is also worth mentioning that we are still not actually in the relegation zone and if we do stay up, it will be a greater achievement than the two promotions in my opinion.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Micky does have some blind-spots, playing Caprice and the aged central midfield, or a reluctance to use our younger players, but he’s done fairly well with the limited squad we were able to recruit in the summer. We’ll have a better idea of our survival prospects in a months time.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think in this division you need experienced players but I think Micky has the problem where his experienced players are too old and his young players not wise enough. He really needs that good blend of players who also have the quality. Without a significant budget he will struggle as we have seen. January might provide some light relief but will not solve all the problems we have running through the squad.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
In fairness AM, he has barely managed in League One and he kept Shrewsbury up while operating under similar budget constraints to those here. Palios knows that he has massively overachieved given the resources he has had to work with, and he and the club owe him a lot. The chairman understands that this season would always be a real struggle. I do not think Mellon's job is under threat and even if we were relegated I would want him to remain here.
Absolutely spot on, RLC. You can always criticise team selections, but we never know how things have gone in training and who had little injury niggles. So often, Micky's unexpected team selections and/or formations have proved to be inspired.

I am mindful of Pochettino's tenure at Spurs. He made steady improvements every season but when he needed some cash to freshen the squad, there was none available because of the new stadium. Gradually, the squad went stale (despite reaching the Champions League Final) and he could no longer get them playing consistently. On a smaller scale, I can see this being a danger at PP. However, I think MP will be aware of this and give MM some funds from the foreign investment and the cup windfall. Whether he will have enough cash to plug the holes, we will have to wait and see.

Player
Manager
John King
Gilmour when for hardly got a game
He was in the team and playing well when he got injured. Banks was a regular in the side. In any case, I don't think Gilmour alone is the answer. We need good midfielders in the 24-28 age bracket.

Player
Manager
John King
I think in this division you need experienced players but I think Micky has the problem where his experienced players are too old and his young players not wise enough. He really needs that good blend of players who also have the quality. Without a significant budget he will struggle as we have seen. January might provide some light relief but will not solve all the problems we have running through the squad.
It will probably take several transfer windows to get the squad up to standard, as we need virtually a whole new squad. That is going to require patience from the supporters.

Player
ian goodison
with hindsight I would away from home be inclined to drop conor for potter to bolster the mid-field as we seem to be over whelmed having said that micky appears by picking nearly the same team weekly (I know we have injuries) he,s run out of ideas

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
It's harsh to say he's run out of ideas; for yesterday's game he'd run out of options due to injuries and suspensions. With the exception of possibly Woods for Caprice, I don't think you could argue there was anyone on the bench who should have started. I am puzzled though as to why the three ageing midfielders aren't rotated; second half at Burton, it was crying out for Potter to provide fresh legs by replacing either Perkins or Danns. If that had happened then the two centre mids v Blackpool could have been two lads who hadn't played a full 90 three days earlier

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
with hindsight I would away from home be inclined to drop conor for potter to bolster the mid-field as we seem to be over whelmed having said that micky appears by picking nearly the same team weekly (I know we have injuries) he,s run out of ideas
I would not. Connor has taken time to adapt to this level but even when he’s not playing well seems to have more stamina than the older midfielders. I entirely agree with OTW in terms of midfield rotation while Banks and Gilmour are unavailable and just because he’s captain Perkins shouldn’t be staying on the full ninety. If we were playing 4 at the back at Burton then there is an argument for Woods ahead of Caprice, while Walker-Rice should be on the bench ahead of Ponticelli in my view.

Player
Manager
John King
Jennings has played well in the last few games and seems finally to be adapting to the level. I am not convinced Woods offers much more than Caprice.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I am not convinced Woods offers much more than Caprice.
From the little I have seen of Woods, he looks like a better defender than Caprice, but it may be we have to accept the pair are either not good enough or fit enough to be regulars going forward.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Whats the latest with Ellis? There's an experienced defender who would do a job alongside Manny.

Player
Manager
John King
To be honest, I am not convinced Ellis will be good enough at this level. He is quite limited on the ball and not particularly mobile, and he barely featured at Shrewsbury once they were promoted to this division. We also don't know if he will be the same player after his serious injury.

Player
aldo
out for the first month or so in new year . been doing light running and no contact training . . we need some ball players an fighters . and stop the silly red cards . also think the training needs looking at the amount of players getting injuries on the training pitches is not good