• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Brewers v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A tricky fixture for Rovers tomorrow, but one where we are capable of picking up points if we are at our best.

Burton had a good victory against Rochdale last week, but their home form is patchy, with relatively few goals scored at the Pirelli Stadium. They put in a reasonable performance at Prenton Park in the reverse fixture and did not deserve to lose that game, but did not look like world beaters either. Liam Boyce is their obvious danger man, although ex-Rover Lucas Akins is also a handful.

I expect that we will be unchanged and will start in the 532 formation which was effective against Wimbledon.

I think about 1,000 SWA will travel tomorrow and I am hopeful we will get a result.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
This is a game we can get something from as I dont think they are much good, I think we will be unchanged and will draw 1 1

Player
aldo
well i have asked Santa for 3 points . i have extra beer and mince pies running on it . he better do the deal . lol look we had a good weekend last week the boys will be pumped and raring to go . lets be super positive sing from start to finish roar the the lads home and have a good party after . connor to come good with 2 and both late winners again after being behind early . come on lads lets move up the table

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hard game to call. We lost the last Boxing Day visit to Burton by 2-0 and finished with ten men. Teams seemed fairly evenly matched in the home game and it should be possible to get something. Presume Chapman has been emergency loaned for this one and for reasons unknown Kane won’t feature again, which points to an unchanged team.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Suggestion on website that both Wilson and CBJ are doubts for this game ... suspect that may well be code for they have gone back to their parent clubs already??

As to result I am thinking today will be a hard fought game. I will take a draw if I am honest though a win would be a perfect late christmas present!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We really have to start winning these games. Having said that, I think we'll draw today.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds like a bit of a hammering defensively today. Will be interesting to hear thoughts of those at the game.

drwhoman

Depressing. However they played we badly need to improve the team next month or else the outcome looks bleak.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Feels a bit like 1 step forward and 2 steps back at the moment. Excellent away wins for Accy and Wimbledon haven't helped our cause. Fingers crossed for Sunday.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We are weak through the spine of the team and really need some quality in urgently

Player
Manager
John King
A very disappointing afternoon.

I think that is the worst we have played out of possession all season, and I believe the major issue was the centre of midfield, not the back four. The midfield duo of Perkins and Danns were run ragged this afternoon and simply could not cope with the pace of the game. Burton moved the ball well and are a reasonable side, but the fact that we struggled so badly in that area of the pitch against what was fairly average opposition, tells us that new additions are sorely needed. We were so lacking in energy and athleticism in the middle that the back four was constantly exposed, and the final scoreline is a fair reflection of the game.

It is a pity, because the front four of Jennings, Ferrier, RHM and Morris played well and caused problems, but their efforts were futile because we never had any degree of control in midfield. I did think that centre forward was a key area where we needed to strengthen in January, but I think the players I have mentioned will cause teams problems and score goals. However, if we are relying on a midfield of Perkins / Danns / Potter for the rest of the season then relegation seems highly likely.

I don't think Micky had his best day either. We set up in a 4411 with Jennings behind Ferrier, and were so overrun I thought we should have switched to 532 to shore things up a bit, or at least bring Potter on for some fresh legs. However, we did not shake things up at half time and the second half continued in a similar vein to the first, very stretched, with our defence constantly under pressure.

In addition to the ageing midfielders, I am not convinced either Caprice or Nelson are good enough defensively in the medium term, although I don't think they were chiefly to blame today.

January will be a huge month for the club.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky very critical post game with an Xmas plea to palios for some spending in the new year.

Perks and Danns have done ok in games but I don’t know any other side with 2 centre mids that age. Don’t forget Perkins, as good as he was last season, was let go by a struggling league one side last season in Rochdale

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's not looking good is it. Let's see what Jan brings but it will have to be some month to help us in the second half of the season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interested in RLCs observations regarding Nelson. While Caprice has usually looked out of his depth at this level where pace alone cannot compensate for Jake’s defensive frailties, find Sid, while a bit raw, has generally done ok, since being preferred to Ray.

I agree that reinforcements in midfield and defence are desperately needed in the coming window to enhance our prospects of staying up.

Player
Manager
John King
I think we suffer from having two inexperienced centre backs, who have played relatively few games at this level. Manny is the more talented of the two and I would prefer him to be alongside someone with greater experience, who is more commanding.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Given we’ve got Ellis and Gumbs coming back, neither of whom are organisers, might we be releasing one of the 3 central defenders signed up in summer? There has been talk of other clubs interested in Manny and we could make something by selling him on, but as probably the best defender at the club, would be sorry to see him go.

ADD

Player
Norwood
A thoroughly dispiriting display - beaten to every second ball, atrocious defending - looked like they could score at will if they could be bothered. Caprice I thought was woeful - yes he didn't have much assistance but Atkins who is nothing special ran him ragged. Crosses constantly overhit and corners not beating the first man.
I know some on here are Mellon devotees but I simply don't get his thought processes such as they are at the moment!
Woods is fit yet he isn't played - surely he is better than Caprice if we are playing 4 at the back so why not play him? Also Wilson? Is he injured? If so, there has been no mention of it now for 2 weeks. If he isn't, then I suspect that he like CBJ has already gone back to their parent teams since the match preview said they were both likely unavailable. Why? Are West Brom not happy with how he is being treated so he has been recalled or has MM had an issue with him and won't play him.
The team is probably not good enough I appreciate but I am also of the view that MM is not at present covering himself in glory either...
Things need to change and quick if we are to stay up as we can't expect just a couple of loan signings in the window to be sufficient to take us away from the drop zone...

Player
Manager
John King
I think the fundamental issue is the quality of the squad, or lack of it, rather than the managers's thought processes. Tactics, team selections and work on the training ground can only take you so far and I don't see what significant changes Mellon could make with the current squad to improve things. I doubt swapping Woods for Caprice would significantly improve our fortunes.

Last edited: