• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Bolton

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
My point was that these signings have apparently been funded by yet more debt, which should not be permitted after what has happened.

I doubt we could afford either Murphy or Bridcutt.

For what it is worth, I still don't believe it is certain they will go down.

The rules certainly need looking at

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think (hope) they'll still struggle.

Player
aldo
well that,s what happens . when you get new owners . where palios has done things the right way. and is building the club up brick by brick . . and building for the future . that,s what makes them different from most other owners

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
My point was that these signings have apparently been funded by yet more debt, which should not be permitted after what has happened.

I doubt we could afford either Murphy or Bridcutt.

For what it is worth, I still don't believe it is certain they will go down.
9 signings but none contracted beyond the end of the season so the financial exposure is being tightly controlled. It seems pretty reasonable and not sure what else we should expect. Their new owners need to ensure that they are competitive for the remainder of the season otherwise they'd risk losing a slice of their fanbase and associated revenues.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
9 signings but none contracted beyond the end of the season so the financial exposure is being tightly controlled. It seems pretty reasonable and not sure what else we should expect. Their new owners need to ensure that they are competitive for the remainder of the season otherwise they'd risk losing a slice of their fanbase and associated revenues.
But why could not the money have been provided as capital investment rather than debt ? The club again has significant debt - a £20 million loan repayable in three years apparently - which risks the same problems recurring in a few months' time.

On principle, I don't think a twelve point deduction which can be overturned in a matter of weeks is sufficient punishment for going into administration and fielding youth teams for the first month of the season. What real disincentive is there for clubs to act the same way in future ?

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
But why could not the money have been provided as capital investment rather than debt ? The club again has significant debt - a £20 million loan repayable in three years apparently - which risks the same problems recurring in a few months' time.

On principle, I don't think a twelve point deduction which can be overturned in a matter of weeks is sufficient punishment for going into administration and fielding youth teams for the first month of the season. What real disincentive is there for clubs to act the same way in future ?
I don't know the answer to that, RLC, but after recent criticism I would be very surprised if the EFL hasn't done its diligence over the sustainability of the financial model until the end of the season at the very least. The fact that the loan is repayable in 3 years would suggest that somebody believes it is either repayable or covered by assets. I would be genuinely interested to know how many clubs AREN'T funded by, supported by or carrying debt; it's easy to google those with massive debt but less easy to find this out. I suspect that the answer is not many if any.
Surely, the punishment for fielding an inexperienced team has been the fact that they have achieved only 1 point from their fixtures this season and suffered three 5-0 tonkings on the spin. I will, though, be pretty miffed if they aren't deducted further points for the 2 cancelled matches.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't know the answer to that, RLC, but after recent criticism I would be very surprised if the EFL hasn't done its diligence over the sustainability of the financial model until the end of the season at the very least. The fact that the loan is repayable in 3 years would suggest that somebody believes it is either repayable or covered by assets. I would be genuinely interested to know how many clubs AREN'T funded by, supported by or carrying debt; it's easy to google those with massive debt but less easy to find this out. I suspect that the answer is not many if any.
Surely, the punishment for fielding an inexperienced team has been the fact that they have achieved only 1 point from their fixtures this season and suffered three 5-0 tonkings on the spin. I will, though, be pretty miffed if they aren't deducted further points for the 2 cancelled matches.
I think a club that can't field eleven professionals at the start of the season should not be participating in the League. However, given that Bolton were allowed to start the season, the standard twelve point deduction for entering administration does not seem sufficient to me. The fact they have had to play youth teams is entirely self-inflected and should not mean that other sanctions don't apply.

Bolton have been treated extremely leniently by the League, to the point that the opening weeks of the season have become farcical. However, my understanding was that this situation was accepted because all of the parties involved were going to 'learn the lessons' to ensure there was never a repeat. Today's events suggest to me that very little has been learned. A club that has had serious problems with excessive debt for the last twenty years is now loading on more debt. It is 'business as usual'. The can has been kicked down the road again.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I would be genuinely interested to know how many clubs AREN'T funded by, supported by or carrying debt;
There is a difference between debt which is owed to a private individual and is not repayable within a specific timeframe (our position with PJ), and loans which must be repaid within three years with a 4% interest rate. Neither situation is ideal, but the latter one is obviously far more risky.

PJ was never going to call in his loans to us if it would bankrupt the club, but can you be sure Football Ventures (or their lenders) will be so accommodating ? Twenty million pounds is a lot of debt for a club at this level, even a relatively big one like Bolton.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Seems to be taking forever for the punishment for the 2 called-off matches to be decided. It was over a week ago (nearly 2) that they had the hearing. I wonder if they are giving Bolton the chance to earn some more points, take the new hit and still remain on + points!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Seems to be taking forever for the punishment for the 2 called-off matches to be decided. It was over a week ago (nearly 2) that they had the hearing. I wonder if they are giving Bolton the chance to earn some more points, take the new hit and still remain on + points!
The hearing was last Friday, the outcome will be announced this week

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sky Sports News reckon the outcome might not be announced for several weeks

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Amazingly Bolton have got away without playing 2 games, minus 5 points suspended for 18 months.

The disciplinary panel are a joke for this

Player
Manager
John King
Amazingly Bolton have got away without playing 2 games, minus 5 points suspended for 18 months.

The disciplinary panel are a joke for this
The EFL are a disgrace.

They have basically received a fine of £35,000 for failing to fulfil two fixtures. What is to stop other clubs doing the same in future ?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The EFL are a disgrace.

They have basically received a fine of £35,000 for failing to fulfil two fixtures. What is to stop other clubs doing the same in future ?

From what I can gather it is not down to the EFL but the disciplinary panel who made the decision.

There is nothing to stop any team doing the same in the future

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
That's absolutely unbelievable! Speechless!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Still leaves notlob with a chance of escaping the bottom 3.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
Who the hell runs the Football League? This seems like the EFL appealing against its own decision. Why was an 'independent' body used in the first place? Can't the EFL just apply its own rules?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It doesn't seem to make any sense.