• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Bolton

drwhoman

I see they are on the cusp of bankruptcy with the Inland Revenue are due to present a winding up petition today if a deal cannot be done with new owners. I know we have a mixed history with them in recent times but they are a historic club and it would be sad to see them go. They won the Cup in 58 beating Man Utd 2-0 ( who had just gone through the Munich air disaster), their goals including one from Nat Lofthouse, an England centre forward, who barged Ray Wood the Utd goalkeeper into the net. Not something we would see today!! Also, I think they may have been involved in one of the first televising of a First Division game against Burnley (?) in the 1960s? Black and white of course! Interesting that they are also being sued by FGR over the failed transfer of Doige. I thought the FGR owner did not need the money? Irrelevant but Doige is never worth that anyway.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Interesting that they are also being sued by FGR over the failed transfer of Doige. I thought the FGR owner did not need the money? Irrelevant but Doige is never worth that anyway.
I think their treatment of Doidge, which was disgraceful, is more the issue. In any case, surely it is wrong for any club to sign players when they know they don't have the resources to see the deal through ?

Bolton have been sailing close to the wind for years now, and I think action finally needs to be taken against them. I would not want any club to go out of business, but if they go into administration, get a points deduction and drop a couple of divisions, so be it. A lot of their supporters would probably accept that scenario if it got rid of their current owner.

drwhoman

Fair comment RLC. You would have to be mad to try and sign a player without having a money source but maybe Anderson is mad!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Bolton have been sailing close to the wind for years now, and I think action finally needs to be taken against them. I would not want any club to go out of business, but if they go into administration, get a points deduction and drop a couple of divisions, so be it. A lot of their supporters would probably accept that scenario if it got rid of their current owner.
Absolutely. Bolton are one of the original 12 league clubs, are well supported and their fans deserve better. What you suggest, RLC, is a suitable punishment. Remember, it could easily have been what happened to us back in the eighties if Peter Johnson had not rescued us.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Don’t want to see any club go under and in recent years no FL club has. However, notlob have had a couple of dire owners in Gartside who wanted to stop relegation from the top flight after his club got there and now Anderson.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It will probably get rescued at the last minute but they only have themselves to blame. That Doidge transfer was a nonsense. I'd like to see them drop a few divisions, that would put a smile on my face.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A deal has been agreed to sell the club and pay off the tax bill and I presume other debts

drwhoman

The winding up order has been delayed until the 3rd April. The alleged purchaser needs to sort out his position at another club just to complicate things. BTW, I was not aware that Macclesfield are also having financial problems and they have also just avoided a winding up order by finding some cash to keep the creditors happy. The players have been paid late which is not good news. You wonder if, to gain promotion last season, they overextended themselves financially. Always difficult to know how much to spend as against what you achieve as a result.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think it is a case of Macclesfield overspending. Their wages are peanuts, but they struggle to survive purely because their gates are so small.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Real risk their game at home to Bees tomorrow won't take place cos players on strike - no pay.
Not too long since we were looking at them in PL with some jealousy. Could imaginably play them next season!

Player
ian goodison
as with bury the people who have bought the clubs all of a sudden say they didn,t realise the real problems at the time, surely these people have experts at hand to look into any shortcomings that may arise

Player
Manager
John King
Their match tomorrow has now been postponed.

Proverbial about to hit the fan. They will surely face a points deduction or further demotion after this ?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Unbelievable. What a sad state of affairs.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
This will be a big test for the football league, they surely have to get tough rather than the usual do nothing

Player
ian goodison
part of me would love to sign players then hope we can bring in enough money to cover costs but am glad we have mark & Nicola who have the welfare of the club at heart, as bigmart says will be interesting to see the reaction from the FL

drwhoman

I see Bolton should be able to start the season albeit with a 12 point deduction but at this stage the EFL are not satisfied with Bury and they may not be allowed to play their first game against MK Dons. What a mess!

Player
ian goodison
Bolton to get a £2 million loan from the pfa whose chairman used to play for yet nothing for bury