• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Bolton Wanderers v Tranmere Rovers

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Yes, he is definitely an upgrade on Payne and Mullin based on his career history.
He has a decent pedigree and is probably an upgrade on Ferrier as well.
Cookie and Vaughn probably first two in striker pecking order now. Assuming MM plays two upfront. It might be interesting to see if he throws CBT into that mix - so maybe not a given, depending how Mickey wants to play it.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Whilst cookie is capable of the odd spectacular goals his strengths are powering headers in so we must give him good service so CBT must play imo as he’s our only out and out winger.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Whilst cookie is capable of the odd spectacular goals his strengths are powering headers in so we must give him good service so CBT must play imo as he’s our only out and out winger.
I agree with that, but I think the full backs also have a vital role. We need Ridehalgh back, because he had a good understanding with Cook, and Caprice needs to be dropped because his crossing is so poor.

Wilson or Woods are capable of providing him with decent service, although Wilson's game seems to be more about drifting inside and joining in with play rather than putting deliveries into the box.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree. I can remember rides on numerous occasions putting crosses into the back post for cookie to head in. Wilson was on free kicks against Sunderland and delivered some decent ones so hopefully some service if we play 3-5-2

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What’s rides been doing this season as I don’t remember many of these pin point crosses ? My worry is that our final ball isn’t good enough even with Cook to aim at.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
What’s rides been doing this season as I don’t remember many of these pin point crosses ? My worry is that our final ball isn’t good enough even with Cook to aim at.
I think Ridehalgh has played well this season, particularly when he has played at centre back. I also remember the deliveries for Cook that Sparky refers to above.

We obviously lack creativity, but it is easier to whip balls into the box for somebody like Cook to attack, than it is to play your way through teams when you have quite limited technical players. Cook gives us a focal point up front that we have lacked all season.

I agree that it might not be enough, but we can only try.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It is easy to forget that we were the 6th best team in League 2 last season; that we were promoted with a meagre 72 points; and had the footballing gods smiling down on us as we successfully negotiated the play offs. No surprise that we were bookies favourites for relegation at the start of the season and find ourselves in a struggle now.
Wise words, FNF. And welcome to the forum from another who harks back to "the good old days" of standing in the Cowshed on a Friday night (and a Monday night).

ADD

Player
Norwood
I would haveWalker - Rice on the bench and if things are not going well bring him on for the second half and focus on set plays. Morris has a good delivery but WR is better than anyone else in the club... Cook will relish the service.