• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Bolton Wanderers v Tranmere Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
So, here we go with at least our sixth "must win" match this season. Most of these we've lost and we are now seriously in danger of being cut adrift. The cup has been a massive distraction and has stretched our thin resources. It may prove ultimately to be our financial salvation but we have still some way to go before we are safe from a quick return to League Two.

It's not even worth trying to pick a team for tomorrow, as there are so many injuries and suspensions. We may even sign or offload another player by midnight. It looks like the defence will pick itself - only Caprice, Woods, Feeney, Ray and Wilson are definitely fit and available, although I'd be tempted to play McCullough ahead of Ray. There's still plenty of choice in midfield and I assume Woodyard and Morris are shoo-ins. Perkins may get the other place. Upfront, I am expecting Ferrier to start with possibly Jennings in support. If Danns is fit, I'd play him and move Morris to number 10 for Jennings. I would then expect Gilmour, CBT and Vaughan to feature for at least the last half-hour.

Don't ask me to predict the result. Will it be yet another disappointment and missed opportunity or will we finally kickstart our ascent to safety?

Last edited:
Player
ian goodison
BBTC is spot on regards the team haven,t a clue myself as to the line-up beginning to feel like the last chance saloon at present but it,s rovers so going for a 2-1 win!!!!!!!!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Again I have no idea what the team will be but think the game will end up a draw

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky confirmed pre match that Clarke is out for a few weeks.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Pity, but at least we know where we stand. Enough fit lads to still play 352 - even without Ray.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
So, here we go with at least our sixth "must win" match this season. Most of these we've lost and we are now seriously in danger of being cut adrift. The cup has been a massive distraction and has stretched our thin resources. It may prove ultimately to be our financial salvation but we have still some way to go before we are safe from a quick return to League Two.

It's not even worth trying to pick a team for tomorrow, as there are so many injuries and suspensions. We may even sign or offload another player by midnight. It looks like the defence will pick itself - only Caprice, Woods, Feeney, Ray and Wilson are definitely fit and available, although I'd be tempted to play McCullough ahead of Ray. There's still plenty of choice in midfield and I assume Woodyard and Morris are shoo-ins. Perkins may get the other place. Upfront, I am expecting Ferrier to start with possibly Jennings in support. If Danns is fit, I'd play him and move Morris to number 10 for Jennings. I would then expect Gilmour, CBT and Vaughan to feature for at least the last half-hour.

Don't ask me to predict the result. Will it be yet another disappointment and missed opportunity or will we finally kickstart our ascent to safety?
There is no way Ray will play BBTC, as two full backs were preferred to him at centre half on Wednesday. He is completely out of the picture and could be gone by midnight. Similarly, I would expect Vaughan to start, although in what formation and with which strike partner (if any) I have no idea.

I would say we are already cut adrift and we need a victory urgently to prevent the situation becoming irretrievable. Once the gap extends beyond six points, I think it is pretty much all over for us to be honest.

Bolton are a side of similar quality to us, and this really is a must win game.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Not easy to predict a team, for sure. However, I'd be playing Ferrier and Vaughan upfront with CBT and Morris to provide service. With Manny and Clarke out our defence is going to be hit and miss anyway, so I'd keep it simple with 4 at the back - Woods / Feeney / Nelson / Wilson - less understanding required than a 5. Perm any 2 from Woodyard/Danns/Perkins/Gilmore/Jennings in the middle So I'd be going 442 on this occasion but not suggesting that should be the way forward. TBH I've got as much chance of winning the lottery as being correct with that selection! More importantly I'm meeting my nephew there tomorrow - the last time we did that was at Rotherham which was memorable! Fingers crossed for a similar good feeling, preferably a "W" this time - another 9 +5 would be fine!

OMG - just seen Cookie on loan! Scratch that - 3 up top!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
OMG - just seen Cookie on loan! Scratch that - 3 up top!
My thoughts exactly! Shame he wont be playing tomorrow.

Player
Manager
John King
Feeney can I think, because his signing came more than twenty four hours before kick off. Looking at the defensive injuries, he might have to play..........

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Feeney can I think, because his signing came more than twenty four hours before kick off. Looking at the defensive injuries, he might have to play..........
I can't see how he can't unless we play 4-4-2 with Woods and Ray in the middle. Unlikely. As I posted earlier, I think we may see McCullough in a back five.

Player
Manager
John King
I can't see how he can't unless we play 4-4-2 with Woods and Ray in the middle. Unlikely. As I posted earlier, I think we may see McCullough in a back five.
We could play Ridehalgh and Woods at centre back, with Wilson and Caprice at full back. However, I would expect Feeney to start in the centre with either Ridehalgh or Woods, probably Woods.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With Cook being unavailable would think Micky may stick with one up front for this game, unless he plays Morris and Jennings as false no 9s :confused:
Defensively, Nelson was on the bench v Mackems so presume is an option, though I’d expect Feeney to start in a back 2 or 3.
We need to stop the rot and get something from this game.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Rides is doubtful apparently. If he is fit then I would go with him LB with Feeney and Nelson central and Woods RB, I would have Wilson RM with Morris playing LM and Woodyard in CM then perm any 1 from Jennings, Gilmour, McCullough and Perkins (Danns is injured) with Ferrier and Vaughan up front.... For me 532 is not going to keep us up so we have to gamble...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
For me 532 is not going to keep us up so we have to gamble...
I agree. It is also against the bottom club so if we have hopes of staying in this league we have to go there and beat them.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
They are only the bottom club because they have had 12 points deducted and they were unable to recruit well for financial reasons during the last window. I expect their results to improve over the next few weeks.
Having said that, I agree we have to start winning again soon and this match is as winnable as they get.

Player
Manager
John King
With Cook being unavailable would think Micky may stick with one up front for this game, unless he plays Morris and Jennings as false no 9s :confused:
Defensively, Nelson was on the bench v Mackems so presume is an option, though I’d expect Feeney to start in a back 2 or 3.
We need to stop the rot and get something from this game.
The official site says Nelson is injured, but I don't know if that information is out of date.

Player
aldo
its great seeing Gilmour getting a game the ferry man and James up top let sqeeze and push up lets do this