• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Bluebirds v Rovers

Bluebirds v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Holker Street
Tuesday, December 29, 2020 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 - 09:30 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is a trip to Holker Street next for Rovers, an old stomping ground from our National League days where we generally struggled. Barrow have come a long way from the ugly, long ball tactics of the sides we faced a few years ago, and are in good form since the sacking of David Dunn. Their top scorer last season, ex-Wrexham striker Scott Quigley, struggled in the early months of the season but is beginning to find the net. This will be Michael Jolley's first game in full charge.

It is difficult to know what to expect in terms of team selection, tactics or performance given our inconsistencies. The changes I would definitely make would be to play O'Connor at right back, MacDonald at left back, and Ferrier up front to partner Vaughan. O'Connor seems to have been scapegoated for one really poor performance against Walsall, when nobody played well, but he is a decent player and as effective as MacDonald in my opinion. It certainly seems pointless to play Callum on the right wing, where he has to constantly turn inside into traffic due to his lack of confidence in his right foot. I don't particularly rate Ferrier, but he has done quite well when he has come off the bench recently, and I think Vaughan needs more help physically. Playing two strikers would at least give us the option of being more direct on occasions, rather than trying to score the perfect goal.

Barrow's pitch does not look great, which could cause us some issues.

Prediction: no idea.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Prediction: no idea.
:D

Yes, I think we need to give more support to Vaughan who has looked too out of it for my liking since Hill took charge. Ferrier seems to be more of an impact player like Mullin who plays generally poor from the start but looks useful coming off the bench. We need to find consistency and whether Hill's 'tweaking' is not helping, we could certainly do with a win here to keep us in touch.

Having said that I think we are playing a lot better away from home having witnessed the last two poor home performances, so there is hope.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I was thinking on Saturday that our current system may be better set up for playing away from home at the moment. That said, Hill seemed to indicate that the record of 6 wins from 9 since he came in is decent so major changes to system or personnel aren’t required. He did though mention Vaughan needing more support and although Ferrier did ok yesterday, suspect he may bring Lewis back in. I’ll be surprised if he plays 2 strikers down the middle as that would mean CBT wide in possible 4-4-2. I think feeneys best position is wide right so him and CBT on the wings would be decent but then which 2 play in the middle? Spearing and another? Decisions decisions

another defeat would mean 4 out of 5 and against a barrow side we will expected to win against. I was impressed with quigley during his spell at Wrexham and remember he scored in a 2-2 draw at the racecourse I went to when cookie got an equaliser. They also have ex Rovers youngster Mike jones and ex loanee josh Kay.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree about the centre of midfield, as we don't really have anyone that can partner Spearing in a 442, despite the relatively large size of the squad. Young is too lightweight in my view and Banks can't be trusted in that role away from home.

I was thinking more of retaining the diamond with CBT starting on the bench, but agree that is unlikely.

Strangely enough, we have a number of midfielders / forwards that play wide, or as a number ten, but relatively few conventional central midfielders and strikers.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree about the centre of midfield, as we don't really have anyone that can partner Spearing in a 442, despite the relatively large size of the squad. Young is too lightweight in my view and Banks can't be trusted in that role away from home.

I was thinking more of retaining the diamond with CBT starting on the bench, but agree that is unlikely.

Strangely enough, we have a number of midfielders / forwards that play wide, or as a number ten, but relatively few conventional central midfielders and strikers.

yes I’ve thought a few times the squad is a bit unbalanced in the midfield areas. Even when we bought Lloyd in I was a bit surprised as we have him, Morris, Woolery, CBT, Lewis, Banks, Feeney, Spearing and Young. All those names but no one who could partner spearing arguably in an effective 4-4-2. Lewis perhaps could be an option but not convinced. Feeney got all those assist last season playing right wing where he’s played all his career.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Whereas with all those midfielders we only have 3 recognised strikers and one of those in Payne hasn’t been fit for a while and Ferrier has his injuries.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Having said that I think we are playing a lot better away from home having witnessed the last two poor home performances, so there is hope.
Didn't cover ourselves in glory at Exeter though, Ian.

In terms of squad in-balance, we've only got one right-back yet 5 central defenders. It's a bit puzzling that Keith Hill is apparently interested in recruiting a left-back from Hartlepool, when we've Macdonald, Ridehalgh and Morris, who are all capable of playing in that position. I got the impression from the manager's remarks that he's going to stick with Callum on the right. Not a fan of this, but I don't think he played that badly yesterday out of position, perhaps too keen to give Feeney the ball for crossing, though when Liam moved elsewhere, he showed he was capable of delivering a cross from the right.

I didn't see the Bolton game, but wonder why the vast difference between Jack Young's MOM showing there and a very lightweight performance yesterday, when it felt Bradford were too physically strong for him? If we are to play an orthodox 442, then Lewis is probably the best option alongside Spearing in central midfield although share Sparky's reservations.

My reservations about Ferrier up front persist, just don't think he's suited to the striker role. Woolery is more likely to get us a goal although he isn't an orthodox striker either.

Hope we can get something out of this game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree Boz about Ferrier. On his day he is unplayable but those days are few and far between. Given that and his alleged attitude issues it’s not a surprise he has never really settled anywhere. As I’ve said before we need another front man for competition at the very least as a massive gulf between Vaughan and the others. But decent strikers don’t come cheap. I don’t want to mention cookie again but he’s a constant bench warmer at Mansfield. Just imagine how he would thrive off feeneys delivery from wide.

re a left back I’m a big fan of McDonald so unless hill has no faith in rides then I’d be surprised if that is top of his January wish list

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
I don't rate Ferrier, but he is the best we have available at the moment and did partner Vaughan effectively on a couple of occasions last season.

We do need another striker, but I don't think Cook is the answer to be honest. He has not done anything for some time now and has fitness / sharpness issues of his own.

Player
aldo
just got very little confidence at the moment, we just don,t know what team are going to turn up there either crap or good, hill says he wants the goals spread out and all that but you have to make the chances first to score the goals, think he needs to add a forward in the window ok he prob won't be much but we don't have much apart from Vaughn, the midfield needs to close down more some times we just invite to much pressure

ADD

Player
Norwood
Also no idea - just listened to Hill's press conference post Boxing Day and I am even more confused. Really was very very unimpressive - such a contrast to when he arrived.
Would start something like Murphy, O'Connor, Clarke, Nelson, McDonald. Spearing, Lewis, Khan and Young in midfield and then Woolery/ Ferrier/ Burton up front with Vaughan. Don't think CBT is worth a start at present. Equally agree as others have said don't feel O'Connor did that much wrong and should start at RB.
Feel the next 2 or 3 games are vital - hopefully get back on an even keel and start a new run but if not probably time to accept the reality and keep the powder dry for next season when hopefully things are back to at least a semblance of normality.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Listening to his post match after yesterday, I'm not sure where the passion is. We need a bit of passion, it rubs off on everyone. I'd possibly fall asleep listening to him talking.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The only positive is we’re still only 4 points from the play offs and lots of games to go.

Although we’re only 4 points from 18th so you could look at it either way.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, even automatic promotion should not be out of the question with the players we have, but I don't think there is much faith that we will find the necessary consistency. Time will tell.

Despite what I said about the difficulties of taking over mid season, anything less than a play off place would be deemed a failure by Palios I am sure.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I agree RLC. Play offs a minimum I think for Keith to have a chance of that extra years contract

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Barrow have actually only lost one more game than us: 9 compared with our 8. They have drawn a lot though hence their position in 21st.

their last home game saw a convincing
3-0 against Cheltenham before Saturdays 2-0 win at vale. Interesting in both games they have had less possession. In the Cheltenham game they only had 38% but had 8 shots on target instead of Cheltenham’s 2. Just thinking about some of our recent defeats where we’ve had lots of possession but not done much with it

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
How many of you realise that none of you have been to PP in 2020 to see Rovers win a league game? The only home league wins have been behind closed doors.

That emphasises the value of our away form, which has brought us more points this season than at home. I am hoping this continues for at least one more match and buys KH a bit more patience from the fans ahead of a hectic January with eight games including two cup ties.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Yes I agree RLC. Play offs a minimum I think for Keith to have a chance of that extra years contract
Comments elsewhere Sparky from an ITK that it's almost guaranteed Hill will get another year even with no promotion. Guess if we spend in January we will have a good indication.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Comments elsewhere Sparky from an ITK that it's almost guaranteed Hill will get another year even with no promotion. Guess if we spend in January we will have a good indication.

yes and obviously depends where we actually finish. Top 10 with a positive end to the season then it’s possible. Mid table or lower with plenty of hostility from fans then big question marks would be asked.

with all the games in January hill will have opportunities to impress

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’m not that confident with Barrow having a new manager and the team improving of late. A point would be a relief, but who knows with Rovers this season (or any season) ;)