• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Blades v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Another massive game for Rovers against a Sheffield United side who have improved under Nigel Clough (they are unbeaten in six in the league), but appear solid rather than spectacular. By all accounts United were poor against Oldham on Boxing Day, with the exception of the in-form Jose Baxter, and their first eleven certainly looks weaker than it did in the previous two seasons.

I would imagine we will play the 4-5-1 once again and this is certainly a game we should be looking to take at least a point from. Wallace remains a doubt following his head injury at Shrewsbury, and if he does miss out I would like to see Jennings play the midfield holding role, assuming he is capable of putting in a 60-70 minute performance. Ronnie's biggest dilemma comes at centre back: although Ridehalgh impressed at Shrewsbury, Horwood looked really poor defensively in the first half of that game, allowing far too many crosses into our box. Personally, I would (just) favour the return of McNulty with Liam moving to left back, rather than risking Horwood in the starting eleven.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would be happy with a point from this game as although they are below us in the league they have improved under Clough, I would agree wit RLC about the starting line up. I think the first goal is likely to be crucial and hopefully we can get something out f the game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good chance of getting something here. Agree that McNulty needs to go back into defence with Horwood missing out. If the midfielders perform well, I think we'll give them a good game.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
1 down no Wallace or mcnulty only 6 subs and holmes off injured not a good half

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
another bad day, seems very odd thatnone of Edwards otsemobor mcnulty & hateley were in the squad surely they were not all inured.

Player
Manager
John King
It was not remotely a 3-1 game today as we were decent in possession for the majority of the match. However, not for the first time this season we committed suicide with awful defending for all three goals.

I said before the game that Horwood was an accident waiting to happen and the first goal was his fault, pathetic defending from a corner. To concede so early was a major setback, but for the rest of the half we played the better football in midfield, with Jennings and Koumas impressive. Our best two chances fell to Lowey, the first of which he really should have scored after rounding their keeper. We also started the second half brightly, but were caught on the counter attack for both goals, with our makeshift back four all over the place after we lost the ball on the halfway line: the full backs were very poor on both goals and in Max's case this is understandable as he is a midfielder, but Horwood was simply abysmal today.

Sheffield United were pretty unimpressive, dangerous from set plays and out wide but with no real quality in the middle of the pitch; we played a major part in all three of their goals. All of which makes the outcome even more disappointing.

Apparently McNulty was ill, but I would agree that it is bizarre that none of Edwards, Otsemobor or Hateley were even on the bench. We have three right backs in the club, yet ended up playing Max Power as an emergency full back for 50 minutes of the game today. Ridehalgh has apparently been recalled by Huddersfield, so who knows what the back four will look like for the Wolves game. Whatever eleven plays we have to try and dig something out of the game, as even a draw could see us slip back into the bottom four.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Edwards apparently was injured, if Ridehalgh has gone back w need a left back and quick as Horwood is too weak defensivly

Player
Manager
John King
Edwards apparently was injured, if Ridehalgh has gone back w need a left back and quick as Horwood is too weak defensivly

We also need a right back (in the short term) as Holmes will be out for three weeks according to Ronnie.

drwhoman

Disappointing but there we go. As several contributors have said recently it would be great to get some decent loanees in January. I imagine Edwards will go back to Blackburn. I think there was comment on the official site the other day that he has a hernia problem. Wolves will not be easy - a club that should not be in our league but for their own incompetence.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
so we are going to struggle badly in defense on wednesday just as were up against Wolves oh dear it doesn't bode well.

Hope next year turns out better than this year as we had the worst record out of all 92 teas this year.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting account from RLC. I heard from a Blades fan at the game, who said it was one of their best performances of the season. While we could easily have got 3 more, so he reckoned could the home side.

I share the bemusement of other posters about the total lack of defensive cover on the bench. The fact there were only 6 subs suggests someone indisposed late on (McNulty?). Ronnie will need to be quick off the mark recruiting loan cover. Other results didn't go for us today and it is difficult to see us getting anything from the Wolves game.

Player
Manager
John King
I heard from a Blades fan at the game, who said it was one of their best performances of the season.

Just shows how poor they have been this season really. They created more chances than us, but our midfield was better. In fairness, Baxter, Maguire and the two wingers were good for them (aided by the poor defending of our full backs).

Apparently both Hateley and Otsemobor were injured, hence their absence from the bench. Hateley may be available for Wolves, however.

I agree that sorting out the defensive problems in the January loan window will be vital if we are to stay up.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just watched the goals and they were poor defensively, just what RLC has said really. We aren't going to take much from sides if we cannot defend. Injuries and loan players are going to make a weak back four even weaker and it's concerning with the Wolves game just around the corner.

We are struggling with injuries at a time when there's uncertainty regarding our loan players. We know Lowe can gets goals up front, midfield we have cover for and can perform well, but like RLC says, priority is to sort out the defence now. Horwood is a liability defending and should not be used.

December has been a pretty disastrous month. Five games, four defeats and one win. 14 conceded, 4 scored. Doesn't read well at all.

Last edited:

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
See Gareth Roberts isnt getting a game at Bury. He was a half decent left back ;), props wouldnt cost too much either.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Lonerover, I think you'll find Roberts played for 74 mins on Sunday. Moore blew his chance to sign him when he became available at Doncaster.

drwhoman

It may be that at the time Roberts was asking for too much money. After all he was a successful Championship full back for a number of years and he would probably have commanded twice what Rovers could pay. Time has now passed, of course, and his aspirations may be somewhat lower!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Roberts is finished hes been out of the Bury side for a while hes not what we need.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Roberts is finished hes been out of the Bury side for a while hes not what we need.
Agree with this. From what Bury fans say, he's very much their equivalent of Steve Foster, decent once but not now.

Player
Manager
John King
I would agree that we don't want Roberts, we need a proven League One leftback, which Horwood certainly is not unfortunately.

It seems strange that Huddersfield want Ridelhalgh back: while he is a decent player I would not have thought he is good enough for the Championship (unless they are simply looking to sell him).