• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Blades v Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Rovers travel to Bramall Lane for what is surely our biggest game of the season so far. While promotion will not be won or lost on Saturday, the game may give a strong indication of how Rovers will cope in the second half of the campaign.

We are not exactly travelling in great spirits: major long term injuries, of whom Gibson is apparently the latest, and a patchy run of form which has seen crucial points dropped against inferior opposition.

However, Rovers have made a habit of confounding expectations this season and the side that plays on Saturday will not be markedly weaker than the one which won at Notts County a couple of months ago in a match of similar magnitude.

United also have their injury problems with Kitson and MacDonald, arguably their best striker and midfielder, both unavailable.

I thought Max Power should have been given a run out in the Portsmouth game, but I think Harrison's defensive qualities will be needed on Saturday, and there may be a possibility of Ronnie playing a five man midfield given Wallace's absence. Defensively, the unforced errors of recent weeks definitely need to be cut out.

It is likely we will finally lose top spot at the weekend, as only a victory will be sure to keep us top, but a draw would ensure we fall no lower than second and would be a good result.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Gibson out for 6 weeks, gone back to 'Borough for treatment.

Think I've said before, when we've got Cassidy, O'Hallorhan and Stockton available to play up front, a 5-man midfield only makes sense in a 3-5-2 formation; it would be daft playing with a lone striker.

I can't see many changes from last week tbh, though wouldn't mind Robinson playing centre midfield. My fear is that this is the game when we can no longer patch things up against a Blades side who are starting to get into gear.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I can only see a home win as with our injuries and the fact that we are not keeping clean sheets mean trouble. 2 0 to them and i fear we wont be back on top of the league again this season

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
However, Rovers have made a habit of confounding expectations this season

You know things are getting weird when you're half-expecting your team to confound your own expectations.

If we defend properly we are capable of conceding 1 goal or less tomorrow. I'm not willing to write us off just yet.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Think I've said before, when we've got Cassidy, O'Hallorhan and Stockton available to play up front, a 5-man midfield only makes sense in a 3-5-2 formation; it would be daft playing with a lone striker.

3-5-2 would not be good in a game where we're unlikely to dominate posession

i don't think 4-5-1 is much of an option either at the moment, with a lack of pace in forward and wide positions

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree it is unlikely we will change formation, but I think it is crucial that Palmer and Harrison play as a genuine partnership tomorrow. They did not seem on the same wavelength in the Walsall and Portsmouth games and there were alarming gaps in the centre of midfield at times.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tough game, but we have a great away record ( never ever thought I'd be saying that). We have a great chance to get a result here. I'm staying positive. Top of the league by end of the day?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Like all good Rovers fans, I fear the worst but hope for the best. After what's happened this season, I won't be surprised by any result.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I agree it is unlikely we will change formation, but I think it is crucial that Palmer and Harrison play as a genuine partnership tomorrow. They did not seem on the same wavelength in the Walsall and Portsmouth games and there were alarming gaps in the centre of midfield at times.

i think that was entirely harrison's fault tbf to palmer

Status
Not open for further replies.