• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

best ever TRFC goal

drwhoman

Some might remember that neat little midfielder Roy Sinclair who also missed the Toffees game. I used to see him on the bus up from Woodside! How things have changed! Just after the War my father worked at the Prenton and used to serve players before the game!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Some might remember that neat little midfielder Roy Sinclair who also missed the Toffees game. I used to see him on the bus up from Woodside! How things have changed! Just after the War my father worked at the Prenton and used to serve players before the game!
Ah, that's a name I haven't heard for a while. I liked him as a skilful creative midfielder who scored a few goals. We are talking mid-sixties here.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Long before my time, but did not Yardley miss the Everton game because of the Alf Wood incident at Shrewsbury ?
Correct, RLC. The injury was devastating. We were useless against Everton and Yardley was never quite the same again, in my view. He lost a kidney, eventually moved to Australia, came back for a second spell with Rovers and I think he then emigrated again.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
As RLC has said, memorable goals are often such due to significance rather than substance.
Jigsaw's winner in the 4-3 win over Southampton.
Chrissy Malkin's Wembley winner against Notlob.
Nors at Wembley will take some time to consign to the archives though!!

drwhoman

BBTC - I think your memory is correct about George Yardley. We signed him from one of the Scottish teams - Queen of the South ? He replaced Manning after he went to Shrewsbury (?) and Dyson to Leyton O then in Div 2 (?). He played alongside George Hudson who we signed for 20k from Coventry. A lot in those days. A previously prolific scorer who was a bit of a disappointment for Rovers. Injured a lot..