• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Ben Tomlinson

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A forward signed on a three-month loan from Barnet today. I find this a bit of a strange one. Tomlinson has a decent reputation at this level, but unless Mangan and GTF are considered medium to long term injury risks, I would not have thought this is an area where we would strengthen further, unless we were bringing in a world beater.

The signing certainly does not say much for Margetts' prospects. He has been poor in the majority of games he has started, but he is young and I still think there is great potential there.

More generally, I would not want us to have a revolving door of loan players like the last two seasons. Brabin has been sensible with his squad building so far and I would not want us to disrupt that with endless comings and goings.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I get the impression that he will be used out wide

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
But he's not really a wide player. It exasperates me that we seem to be stockpiling certain groups of players; central defenders, forwards, while other areas have little strength in depth. Tomlinson didn't pull up any trees while on loan at Grimsby and has hardly featured for his parent club Barnet. Prior to that he had a reasonable couple of years for Lincoln.

Margetts has hardly been given much of a chance. He did ok alongside Mangan v Halifax and in the Bromley game, less so in the others. Jackson, who has yet to impress has been given more opportunities by Brabin.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm sure there is some logic to this signing but I think we'll have to wait and see. There's no comment from GB on the OS, so we don't know which position he'll play or whether he's been signed as cover. I guess he's another wide option as his goalscoring record is not impressive.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Slightly worrying are reports from Grimsby that their manager was interested in extending his loan, but Barnet wanted guarantees on his playing time. Their main strikers Bogle and Amond being benched during his loan spell there add credence to that suggestion. In agreeing with RLC about revolving doors, I would also want an avoidance of any must play deals, which have caused problems in the past.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not a huge fan of the loan system but I think GB is just covering himself so he has options. Mangan is supposed to have a dodgy knee, GTF is no spring chicken and Margetts still has work to do. He's not afraid to shoot but needs to do more in games. We also have Norwood who seems to be struggling to hit the target.