• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Bees v Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Current indications from West London are that RLC won't get his wish that the games's snowed off, although a lot can change weather-wise in the next day or so. If it goes ahead, what tactics and strategy should Rovers adopt, given losing to Coventry means we need to take something from this match? Ronnie's the opposite of Les in many positive ways, but quite frequently our ex-boss managed to conjure a result against sides up near the top. Thus far in the season, I don't think we've beaten a side in the top 6.

My preference would be to go back to 442. The defence picks itself(though I'd still think about Goodi for Daniels). Midfield use Palmer and Power as central pair and if we've got to play O'Halloran, maybe deploy him out wide? Recall for Robbo, if fit, JLAA and Amoo (I'd rather Stockton, but Ronnie won't) up top.

Brentford are on a great run of form and got a deserved point at PP with a 96th minute equaliser. I wouldn't complain at a similar result this weekend.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We simply have to play 4-4-2 and let them worry bout us. Cant see us getting anything from this game if it goes ahead.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The temperature is not forecast to get above freezing in London in the next two days so I doubt this game will go ahead whether it snows or not. My preference would also be for a 4-4-2, but if we do play 4-5-1 I would hope Robbo would play in the hole as he did at Sheffield United, as that approach was rather more convincing than the Parry-esque tactics of the first half on Wednesday. Hopefully we are not obliged to play O'Halloran as I think it is definitely time for him to move aside for the returning players.

Boz makes an interesting observation regarding our record against the current top six, although Notts County and Crawley were both top four sides at the time we beat them in the autumn. I can't really think why this should be, perhaps just a case that a lot of our games against the top sides came during our sticky patch when the injuries were at their worst.

Akpro and Stockton actually looked good as a strike pairing in the last 20 minutes last night and they would be my preferred partnership. Hopefully Baggie will get an hour in this game after impressing when he came on last night; if our team returns to something approaching full strength any result is possible, but as I have said, I doubt this match will be played.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The home fans seem fairly hopeful that the game will go ahead...

Like the idea of Stockton and Akpa Akpro up front.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
2-1 rovers, akpro to get both, think it will go ahead...

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thus far in the season, I don't think we've beaten a side in the top 6.
Actually, this stat will surprise you. This season, we have a brilliant record against teams in the top six. Yes, four of the five teams currently below us have beaten us and Brentford got a draw at PP, but none of these results were achieved while our opponents were in the top six. Since they played us, they've all moved up the table. Our worst result against a side in the promotion frame was the away draw at Bramall Lane. This gives me some hope for Saturday (assuming the game is played).

I'm not sure what this surprising stat means. Do we underestimate them? Does a win against the top of the league kickstart their season? In any case, but I'll bet Coventry are in the top six by Easter.

Player
Goodison
I'd go for

Fon Williams

Holmes Taylor Daniels Zoom

Amoo Palmer Power Robinson

JLAA Stockton

If we've got to play O'Halloran, sub him off after 2 mins.

Subs: Mooney, Goodison, Black, Harrison, McGurk, O'Halloran, Bell-Baggie

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Lets have none of this leaving Robinson out the team nonsense. Get the best XI in, go for the jugular. We are top because we can hurt teams and score goals.

It will be a tough game, but go with a positive attitude, we can win.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Fon Williams

Holmes Taylor Daniels Zoom

Amoo Palmer Power Robinson

JLAA Stockton

If we've got to play O'Halloran, sub him off after 2 mins.

Subs: Mooney, Goodison, Black, Harrison, McGurk, O'Halloran, Bell-Baggie

I agree.

Those having doubts about Daniels, rememeber Goody is 40 now and his pace is slowing down.

We've also got the option of ABB and McGurk with Amoo partnering JLAA if need be.

Player
Manager
John King
8.00 am pitch inspection tomorrow morning. The pitch is apparently playable, but it is difficult to see how the surrounding streets can be safe with the amount of snow that has fallen, much of which will re-freeze overnight.

If the game does go ahead, hopefully Doncaster's and Sheff Utd's won't as this will take some of the immediate pressure off us to get a result. Then there is just the small matter of how the Tranmere supporters are going to get down there !

Player
Manager
John King
I would play the team RTID suggests but with McGurk in place of Amoo on the right. Adam changed the game on Wednesday night when he came on,whereas Amoo did not look great on the wing; I don't think he has the trickery to play out wide and is better down the middle.

As Ian says, we always have the option of bringing Baggie on for 30 minutes as he continues his comeback.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Inspection 8am tomorrow so think the game will be off

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Actually, this stat will surprise you. This season, we have a brilliant record against teams in the top six. Yes, four of the five teams currently below us have beaten us and Brentford got a draw at PP, but none of these results were achieved while our opponents were in the top six. Since they played us, they've all moved up the table. Our worst result against a side in the promotion frame was the away draw at Bramall Lane. This gives me some hope for Saturday (assuming the game is played).

It does. I should have said current top 6, but even so, unexpected.

On team selection, Goodison carried the can for the Swindon thrashing, where in reality all bar OFW were responsible. I accept he is ageing, but Daniels has not consistently impressed during his spell and shouldn't be an automatic choice. Hopefully Gibson returns soon.

I also think that Robinson looked jaded last weekend, he is ageing too and it is understandable Ronnie is conscious of this

Player
Manager
John King
On team selection, Goodison carried the can for the Swindon thrashing, where in reality all bar OFW were responsible. I accept he is ageing, but Daniels has not consistently impressed during his spell and shouldn't be an automatic choice. Hopefully Gibson returns soon.

I also think that Robinson looked jaded last weekend, he is ageing too and it is understandable Ronnie is conscious of this

I agree about Goody. He had been solid prior to the Swindon game and could still be effective against certain opposition at this level, ie. those who play a pretty direct game and lack pace and movement up front.

Although Ronnie got a lot wrong on Wednesday, resting Robinson was a good decision. Leaving McGurk out as well was the mistake which, combined with the use of an unfamiliar system, left us unbalanced in modfield.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Kudos to Ronnie though, at least he admitted he ****ed up, rather than blaming the players...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not an easy game this one, and we can't afford to play for only 45 mins. Would be happy with a draw.

Sent via Tapatalk

DIW

Player
Goodison
Certainly going to be a very tough afternoon with an inevitably reduced away following. I would take a draw now, but who knows? A good performance and an unlikely 3 points puts us right back in pole position and sends out a message. It's not impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.