• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Barrow v Rovers

Match result

• Barrow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Barrow v Rovers
Posted by Ian
The Dunes Hotel Stadium
Saturday, February 5, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 5, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
These really are here for the taking. Defensively, they are all over the place. Doohan not had a save to make. Good half from Rovers, let's have a few more goals second half.
Be good for confidence if we can get another goal or two.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What a cheap penalty to give away. Banks scores from the spot. Come on Rovers, let's get back into this.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Awful penalty to concede. Camera angle not great but looked unnatural. Two points dropped if we don’t win this as they are poor.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
1-0 is always a risk to lead because as comfortable we were it’s only one moment to make it 1-1. Doohan has done very little but neither has their keeper. We need a lift in the final third and have options on the bench

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Barrow finishing strongly and miss two great chances. One good save from Doohan and a poor header sent over

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Lost our way a bit here.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not following the game closely, but surprised that Micky hasn’t made a sub or two even for fresh legs.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
2 points lost is not good, makes Tuesdays game vital to win

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A draw not a disaster in tricky conditions but feels like a bit of a missed oppportunity after a decent first half. Sutton only drew so we still have a four point gap. Onto a big game on Tues.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky will no doubt ‘respect the point’ and other results weren’t too bad. We were not great however in the attacking third apart from Hawkes goal and the odd moment in the first half. They should have won it with two very good chances. Agree with boz that the lack of subs was a bit baffling. Morris was having an off day and the front two worked hard but Micky could have freshened things up with the likes of Jolley, mcmanaman or even Warrington. Nevitt coming on in the 93rd minute seemed a bit pointless.
Not a bad result of course but again you scratch your head that we’d win that type of game comfortably if we were better in the final third. With much tougher games to come can we still keep those clean sheets where one goal can sometimes be enough? Time will tell

Reactions: Boz
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
That was only the second time in a league game this season we have taken the lead and failed to win. Every other time except Harrogate away we have scored more or (more likely) held out for a 1-0 win. With that incredible statistic, we can't really complain. If only we could score more than one goal in a game more often we would be out of sight at the top.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A disappointing result which opens the door for the likes of Mansfield and Exeter now.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was a decent performance, but a frustrating result. In the first sixty minutes we were clearly the superior side and dealt with the atrocious conditions far better than the hosts, who looked a poor team in all honesty. We kept them at arm's length and were completely untroubled, and without a cheap penalty I don't think they would have got back into the game.

I am not sure whether it came across on Ifollow, but the conditions were appalling, with a howling, swirling wind. We were playing against the wind in the first half, which meant that for long periods we simply had to manage the conditions and play the percentages. However, on a number of occasions we did get the ball down and play, and I thought our attacking moves were actually better today than in either of the previous two games. Hemmings and Glatzel were on the same wave length and showed signs of developing a partnership, and I don't agree with Sparky that we were not threatening, at least in the first half. The goal was a fantastic move, with a great first touch from Glatzel after a Doohan clearance, a good ball from Morris, and a brilliant finish from Hawkes. We had further chances to score a second goal and kill the game, the best of which was a Hemmings effort blocked on the line after more good work from Glatzel. However, unfortunately the second goal did not come.

In the second half we were more contained, and less threatening, but we were controlling the game well prior to the penalty incident, which I think was Barrow's first genuine effort on target. In the final twenty minutes the game became stretched and both sides had chances, our best effort being a shot from the edge of the box by O'Connor which was tipped round the post, Barrow's a shot from an angle from Rooney which was well saved by Doohan. I thought we tried to force things too much in the closing stages, and did not show enough composure around the box. However, we kept passing and probing and the commitment of the players could not be faulted.

Individually, I thought both strikers played well, with Glatzel showing lovely technique on occasions and some great movement from Hemmings. Hawkes gave us something extra with his pace and directness. Both full backs had very good games, and KP was fine at the back save for some wayward distribution. Man of the match probably Glatzel.

Definitely two points dropped, but certainly not disastrous given that other results were fairly kind to us.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
They should have won it with two very good chances.
Hemmings missed a virtual open goal in the first half, so we should have been two or three up before they even had those chances in the final ten minutes.

That is not a criticism of Hemmings, I am just emphasising that we really should have won the game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I felt we had our moments going forward especially in the first half but overall not enough for a side wanting automatic promotion. That said and as Micky alluded to post match, the conditions sounded pretty bad and as RLC said it didn’t come cross that bad on ifollow. I just still worry about our goals for record but to be fair, it’s gotten us to second so far

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hemmings missed a virtual open goal in the first half, so we should have been two or three up before they even had those chances in the final ten minutes.

That is not a criticism of Hemmings, I am just emphasising that we really should have won the game.
Yea that chance wasn’t easy to be fair as he was running away from goal a bit. He worked hard again

Player
aldo
some fans are getting on Hemmings back already god give the guy a chance, just got home tired hell of a busy day

ADD

Player
Norwood
The conditions were clearly awful you could see on Ifollow - ball being blown backwards on occasions from Keeper clearances into the wind. Think if the conditions were better we would have won but on the other hand we should have been good enough to win anyhow!
Fair summations generally I felt - though I felt their chances from couple of headers ment that on balance a draw was a fair result. Showed how desperate they were that their commentator kept on referring to how many points clear of relegation they were and their cynical time wasting also worth mentioning - Scotty has a valid competitor for best time wasting keeper in Farman!
I agree Glatzel was excellent - he and Hemmings seem on the same wavelength yes but we still did not create enough supply for them. You can maybe forgive that due to the conditions but thought Dacres Cogle for one was unusually poor yesterday even aside from conceding the penalty which tbh you couldn't tell 100% either way from the angle of the camera. Doohan also still kicking too much which gifts the ball back to the opposition - I have to assume that by now he is being asked to do so rather than simply not being confident enough in distribution.
Finally I also was surprised that MM made no subs until a rather pointless sub right at the death. Yes the conditions were awful but surely would have been worth making a couple of changes earlier - Warrington perhaps to try and create a bit more?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That was one of Hemmings' best performances I thought and looks to be gelling more with the squad. He did miss a really good chance after great work from Glatzel. He got a decent shot in, it was just a shame on of their defenders got his body in the way just in time. His goals will come though. I could tell it was pretty terrible conditions from the iFollow footage but it was probably ten times worse in person! That ground looks pretty ropey too.