• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Barrow v Rovers (FA Cup)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Solid first half but we got what we deserved after a dreadful second half display. Tactical change at half time from 451 to 442 did not come off. More later.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Ah well. Just a blip rather than a full blown catastrophe if GB was still in charge .
Real shame though that we're not at least in the hat. Only MMs second game and I trust him to have learned something from the game.

M

Mal

tranmereplayer didn't have commentary. Just as well! MM has his work cut out. Can he still bring in players? I have lost the thread as far as transfer process is concerned.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well, if it was a bit of a disastrous second half, that will give Mellon some food for thought (no pun intended).

Player
Manager
John King
After a reasonable first half display, Rovers did not turn up for the second period and deservedly lost the game. Frustrating, as we could have at least forced a replay in this game, even with the absentees: Barrow were competitive and organised, but nothing special.

At the kick off we set up in a 4-5-1, with Duggan on one side, Tollitt on the other. Barrow started the game brightly, looking a team full of confidence and on a good run, and certainly a much better side than the team we beat in August. In the first fifteen minutes we were under the cosh and the goal for the home side, while coming from a contentious free kick, was not a surprise. However, Rovers responded well to the setback and enjoyed a period of twenty minutes of sustained pressure. We did not create a great deal in this spell - Cook was far too isolated up front - but we played some reasonable football and the equaliser, however fortuitous, was deserved. Our three men in midfield began to control the game in this period, and while Barrow had a considerable threat from set plays, we were playing more football.

At half time I felt quite comfortable, but for the second period Mellon made a tactical change, replacing Harris with Kirby and going 4-4-2. I can understand why he made the switch, as Cook had no support and we did not have a great threat in the final third. However, after the change to a midfield two we lost control in the middle of the pitch and our back four came under sustained pressure. The second half was largely dominated by Barrow, with Rovers guilty of giving the ball away far too cheaply, failing to win individual physical battles and offering virtually zero attacking threat, at least until Stephenson came on with fifteen minutes to go. I would not criticise Mellon for being brave and making a change, but I think the 4-5-1 formation suited us more today given the opposition, our current form and the players we had missing.

It was generally a day to forget but there were a few positives. Duggan did ok again, and Stephenson looked lively when he came on, and should probably start next week if Norwood is unavailable. I was also pleased that Mellon made tactical switches at half time and during the game, even if they were not all successful. I was even more impressed by the constant advice and encouragement Mellon and Jackson gave to the players from the touchline, in marked contrast to Brabin. Micky also acknowledged the Rovers fans before and after the game.

Plenty of food for thought for the manager, but once the injured players return and he gets familiar with the squad, I think we will be ok.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Going to console myself by saying that at least it's not three points that have been dropped.

Player
Manager
John King
Great to see Mellon highlighting many of the deficiencies in his post-match interview - lack of good quality possession high up the pitch, lack of movement, lack of partnerships on the pitch - that Brabin either ignored or simply could not see.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Don't think we need many new players, just the injured ones back and more time for Mellon to get his ideas across.
I agree. It's rarely easy to find something positive to write after a defeat. But what I would say is that if we had scraped through it would have papered over the cracks. Losing might make Micky bolder in trying to make us into a better attacking force. Remember, in the last nine matches we've registered just seven goals - and two of them were scored by our opponents. With so many recognised strikers in the squad, we should be top scorers in the league. Micky needs to make this a priority. If he fails, we will be lucky even to make the play-offs.

Player
Manager
John King
I think the major problem for us - as it has been for eighteen months - is the lack of creativity in midfield. When our most creative players, Jennings and Hughes, come back into the team Mellon will hopefully be able to address this problem. If he can't, we will know that we simply don't have the personnel to create chances.

However, as Micky says in his interview, failure to create is not just about the man in possession of the ball. The lack of movement in the side, particularly from midfield players getting into advanced positions, is another deficiency Brabin has left for us. Hopefully Mellon can address this problem on the training ground.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I've not had the chance of seeing Micky's interview yet, but it sounds encouraging that he's recognising the problems, something his predecessor didn't seem to do.

While agreeing lack of creativity is a significant factor in our problems, there have been games like the home with Maidstone, where a lot of decent chances weren't converted. Hopefully that can be addressed too.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Watching Micky's demeanour during the post-match interview I think he has suddenly realised the size of the problem he is facing in getting this squad transformed into a team good enough to challenge for promotion. He quite clearly identifies our lack of creativity but also stresses our inability to retain possession of the ball and for the players to improve their decision making process and their need to make better use of the ball when we are in possession. Micky I feel prefers his football to be played on "the deck" rather than being pumped long on the chance that Cooky can lay it off for someone else.
Whilst disappointing to be out of the cup so early yet again, it is clearly more important to get promotion out of this league and this game has given Micky the opportunity to assess a number of the squad. I'm sure he will have been disappointed with the display shown by some, although he is keen to point out that he thought a reasonable level of commitment was shown by the team as a whole during the match.
Another week is now available to Micky and Mike Jackson to begin the process of getting the squad to play the way that they see as being necessary to gain the consistency of performance needed to get promotion. Hopefully, this will begin to show in the game next Saturday away Solihull.

Player
Manager
John King
In fairness to Brabin, I don't think we were particularly a long ball team under him, just that there was not enough movement or variety in our play, with too much 'possession for its own sake' in the middle third of the pitch. I think this is what Mellon was referring to yesterday, plus the fact several individuals had real off days (notably Jennings) and gave the ball away a lot.

M

Mal

Need to give Micky time. John King lost 11 out of first 16 games in 1987 league.... At least, as far as I recall. He then brought in some very good players.

drwhoman

It is positive that both Hughes and Norwood will be training on Monday. I suspect Micky will have to bring in at least a midfielder but we will see.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It is positive that both Hughes and Norwood will be training on Monday. I suspect Micky will have to bring in at least a midfielder but we will see.
Let's hope Micky can find more experienced midfielders than GB or PC managed.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Jeff Hughes is experienced though. We don't need to be bringing in more loans until MM has explored the options available. Osborne has shown glimpses in the creative side to be worth extending his loan spell maybe.

I was a little surprised at the options on the bench here. Vaughan ahead of Gumbs, though Evan could play across the back four. No place for Almond, the youngster Ilesamni being preferred instead.

Player
Manager
John King
Jeff Hughes is quite creative and Connor Jennings is as creative as any player in the division, so until Mellon has worked with them for a few weeks it is too soon to talk about an overhaul of the midfield. I also agree with Boz that Osborne looks quite promising and always wants to play forward, as we saw for the second goal against Wrexham.

As Mellon said on Saturday, creativity is not just about the player on the ball, it is also about movement off the ball and what you do on the training pitch every day. Under Brabin we set up in straight lines with zero movement, so it is no surprise we hardly created anything.

Last edited: