• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA Cup Barnsley v Rovers

drwhoman

A disappointing if unsurprising result. At least we tried hard and made Barnsley work for it. The lack of punch up front other than Vaughan is a real issue. I am not sure we will see much change in the squad this month given Covid so the season may be a right off even if it finishes. And well done to Marine - only 5-0. Very good considering the team Spurs put out. For example, Bale was on for the second half admittedly when it was really all over. A nice touch that Jose bought a ticket to watch the game online. A good earner for Marine even if their fans would have been disappointed not to be there.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ferrier is another frustrating player for me. Runs around a lot, looks like he’s really up for it but there is just no end product.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Ferrier is another frustrating player for me. Runs around a lot, looks like he’s really up for it but there is just no end product.
I think he played better today than in some games, but he does not score enough goals and his decision making is often poor in the final third.

I still think he might be OK as a foil for Vaughan in League Two, if we play two strikers.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

What's your thoughts? We got beat 1-0. Haha :D

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I might be doing Rovers an injustice here but was anyone else a little disappointed with Barnsley? Considering they are doing quite well in the Championship, I expected a lot more.

Player
Manager
John King
I might be doing Rovers an injustice here but was anyone else a little disappointed with Barnsley? Considering they are doing quite well in the Championship, I expected a lot more.
I thought some of their passing and movement around the eighteen yard box was very good, but we did well to contain them. I think you have to give Rovers credit for competing with them and being organised defensively.

Player
aldo
I am just a little down all around with the hosts and our own all-round play, they where ok nothin' brilliant but apart from two first-half chances we did naff all and could still be playing and would not have scored, hill says he wants goals from all over the pitch and football that will excite and be entertaining the fans have we seen anything nearly like that at all if anything we are creating less and doing worse now than when he took over, I don't know what the answer is but something needs to change or someone because this season, MP wants promotion but at the moment you would have to say no chance, and if we do I will cook for free for the home team next season

Player
Manager
John King
AM, I think we have to be realistic and accept we were playing a top Championship side, and even with a full strength team we were unlikely to get anything from the game today. I think the performance was a clear improvement on a number of recent games and gives us something to build on. The players battled, and that is all we can really ask for.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
AM, I think we have to be realistic and accept we were playing a top Championship side, and even with a full strength team we were unlikely to get anything from the game today. I think the performance was a clear improvement on a number of recent games and gives us something to build on. The players battled, and that is all we can really ask for.

I agree with this and don’t think we could have asked for much more today, especially with the absentees.

the question is whether our league form will improve as that is our bread and butter and ultimately what Hill will rightly be judged on. It’s not been great of late and needs improving quickly

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With the different camera footage today, you could see Keith Hill getting quite animated during the match. I don't think it was quite in the Brabin league of being mostly directed towards the officials though.

Like Ian, I was expecting more from Barnsley, don't know whether they were off their game or Rovers made life difficult for them, probably a combination of the two. There didn't seem a vast gulf between the sides although the Tykes did have the greater quality.

There is a difficulty up front. I don't think Ferrier is ever going to be a goal machine, he can be awkward for opponents to handle but rarely comes close to scoring, maybe one chance today. Vaughan came closest but without Feeney, he wasn't getting much service. Woolery played fairly well and Jake Burton was just beaten to a good cross into their box. Might be worth giving him a start for the Leicester U21s game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Woolery probably showed today that his best position might be out wide with his pace. Burton is too young. Payne not fit and I agree with boz that Ferrier just won’t score enough, no matter how awkward he can be for defenders when he feels like it. Any transfer budget we have which may depend on anyone leaving, needs spending on someone who can score

Player
Manager
John King
As I have said before, in the current climate I doubt we can afford to bring in a goalscoring striker in the January transfer window. It just is not going to happen.

More realistically, I think we need someone who is a better foil for Vaughan, and to get more goals from our attacking midfielders and wide men, as we did during the period under Dawes.

Player
Manager
John King
Just as an aside, it was much more enjoyable watching the game with a decent commentary today. It makes a huge difference to the experience.

No pointless chatter, and I actually got to hear the interactions of the players and coaching staff, which was interesting.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just as an aside, it was much more enjoyable watching the game with a decent commentary today. It makes a huge difference to the experience.

No pointless chatter, and I actually got to hear the interactions of the players and coaching staff, which was interesting.
agreed. The team was good. It was the same commentary the BBC used on MotD.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Thought that was a good performance overall although as many have said before we simply didn't create enough albeit against a good Barnsley side who knew they had been in a game.
Spearing epic performance belying his age. My MOM. Woolery thought excellent - when he skinned their LB for pace was impressive. O'Connor was excellent also with some grea blocks - makes it even more incomprehensible how he has until today been sidelined. To be fair to Ray also did very well today. That said wonder what has happened between Elllis and Hill - to me inconceivabke he is 5th choice CB, Manny thought was awful again today - so many passes straight to nobody or to a Barnsley player. CBT also really has gone massively backwards - his close control and running into blind alleys is so frustrating. Would sell both if anyone still wants to buy.
If we can play like that in League games we will do much better than we have been.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we can play like that in League games we will do much better than we have been.
Yes, and KH in his post match interview is right when he says the one thing you need before anything else is the right attitude. If the players put in the effort the results will come. We've seen how they can play today so let's have the same attitude on Wed and Sat.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre

yes I went to bed with Scotties screams of “no shot!” Ringing in my ears!! Was good to hear

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Not much to add really! I really enjoyed the game and thought we put in a good performance. The gulf between mid L2 and a Championship "form" team is a massive one and we did well to give them a game. I thought Spearing was outstanding and there were excellent performances by O'Connor and Ray who will have enhanced their future prospects. I don't think anybody let us down and it was a solid team performance which kept us in with a chance until the final whistle … or the one before it! Let's hope that, despite the defeat, it helps confidence moving back into the league programme. A good standard of commentary was refreshing after the iFollow garbage that we have had to suffer!