• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA Cup Barnsley v Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not bad at all. Good to see them working hard for each other and look up for it. Good half, more of the same please.
KH nice and vocal too.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think that was a great half. We have battled like hell and been very solid defensively, with both full backs in particular having good games. The front two have caused problems and we have had the best chances, through Woolery and Vaughan.

Just hope we can sustain it.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Overall that was very good and yes Vaughan could easily have scored.
Interesting how we do fitness wise 2nd half as Spearing et al have covered a lot of ground already...

Player
Manager
John King
Tactics are actually good as we are playing 442 with Woolery on the right wing, who is tracking Styles, their attacking wing back.

Player
aldo
would help if the front two would close down more and mammy needs more urgency in his play seems to laid back, OConnor has put in some real good blocks, spearing has been all over the place and doing very well, khan needs better crossing, he has done ok but that's all, wish we could get past the first man at corners. we have done ok let,s hope its a better second half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
But has been very poor in the last number of games he played & most importantly he has been showing he doesn't want to be here.
Chance to put himself in the shop window with a decent display then?

Think we've done fairly well first half. Barnsley do look to have some real quality though and I can't see us keeping them out indefinitely, so will need to do more at the attacking end to be in with a chance.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A solid first half with everyone up for it. One or two unlucky not to get cards and you rarely see no added time at all! The three up front are keeping Barnsley's defence occupied.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rovers behind after an overload sees a decent cross headed in. Need to think about changes as we’ve rarely threaten in this half but the hosts are making more changes.

get CBT and Morris on

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
No attacking threat this half. Changes needed.

Player
aldo
khan,s free kicks are crap ,poor second half sofar we just don,t look like creating anything no matter scoring

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Surprised Morris isn’t on for say Lewis, unless he’s not fit.

Young Burton on for injured Rides

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well we can’t really complain with the result. First half we were well in the game but second half their keeper was a virtual spectator and they were very comfortable at the back. We were toothless.

Decent displays from the likes of Ray, OConnor, Woolery and Spearing but we just weren’t good enough in the final third. The boys put in a real shift though and some food for thought for hill going forward with the players who came in from the cold doing ok.

At least we can concentrate on the league!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Anyway, 2-0 and we go out but it was a good battling display by Rovers. We just didn't have the quality to trouble them in the second half.

Player
aldo
well, that was a waste of time watching that first half ok we where ok some half chances, in second-half think the boys where on the bus home, I am glad I am not paying to watch it at the moment, not sure what Hill has brought to rovers the attacking entertainment and the promise of the fans getting exciting football is not happening, sorry lads just the way I see it

Player
Manager
John King
I think it was a good performance overall. We battled and stuck to the game plan throughout and if we had shown as much spirit in a number of league games this season, we would be a lot higher up the table. Hill got most of the tactical decisions right as well, and gave us a chance with a depleted side.

I thought we actually looked a lot more comfortable in the second half than the first, and had more possession, but Barnsley slowed the game down and sat in and we struggled to create.

I thought Ferrier caused them problems in the first half, but we just don't see that sort of performance from him enough in routine matches. Spearing was everywhere and showed good leadership and was my man of the match. Woolery produced some great deliveries from the right wing, which gives us food for thought. I thought both full backs were excellent, and I don't understand why Hill does not rate O'Connor. I lost count of the number of blocks and interceptions he made today. I thought Ray was the stronger of the two centre halves, with Manny erratic in possession at times and caught on the ball in the build up to the penalty.

Let us hope we have got a few players back for next Saturday.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, the ref spoiled what was otherwise a good display. He controlled a physical game well without using any cards.

Our stand-ins did really well and I doubt Clarke or Nelson would have made a difference. We have genuine quality and quantity for a League Two side.