• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA Cup Barnsley v Rovers

Player
ian goodison
we are told the fa cup is the the most prestigious competition going and now we have youth teams being put out just to keep up appearances (sorry for the pun) league & cup rules seem to be made up as we go along at present, nothing about football is credible to me anymore

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
we are told the fa cup is the the most prestigious competition going and now we have youth teams being put out just to keep up appearances (sorry for the pun) league & cup rules seem to be made up as we go along at present, nothing about football is credible to me anymore
Yes, if Liverpool win the competition this season, have they actually won it given they beat a bunch of kids rather than Villa's first team ? It is all a bit of a farce really.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
From what Hill said we will have a number of players out, just hope we can keep it respectable

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
From what Hill said we will have a number of players out, just hope we can keep it respectable
Yeah, not expecting much here at all.

Player
Manager
John King
Clarke, Nelson and MacDonald all miss out, centre back pairing of Ray and Monthe. A reasonable line up overall.

A few senior options on the bench, but I don't know how many are genuinely match fit. If they are all fit, strange that players like Khan and Monthe come in from the cold with very little continuity.

Player
Manager
John King
Feeney and Lloyd out as well.

Barnsley are at full strength. We look light in midfield, which is a worry.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A big test for everyone but especially Ray whose first team action has been limited of late.
i’ve wanted two up front for a while but wonder whether away at an inform championship side may have been a time to play 5 in the middle with just Vaughan up top.
Time will tell. Let’s hope we don’t concede early

ADD

Player
Norwood
Going to be tough - could struggle in midfield but assuming the others are injured/ COVID then probably as strong as we can expect in midfield as CBT, Banks and/or Morris would weaken us even more defensively - but going to be a lot for Lewis and Spearing to do.
I'm most worried about the CB pairing of Manny and Ray - that is a potential disaster waiting to happen - frankly amazed that Ellis is now 5th choice centre back. Would like to see Burton get some minutes today.

Player
Manager
John King
I would have played Morris ahead of Woolery, as he would offer more defensively and would help us retain possession better.

As Sparky says, we also had the option of bringing in Banks and Morris and playing five in midfield.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes agree RLC. Woolery Vaughan and Ferrier are all very attack minded players. They’ll have to keep hold of the ball to allow us to get up the pitch. Khan also will work hard but does he have the defensive attributes for such a fixture? Hill will be understandably criticised if he has picked a team and system that is too attacking for such a tough fixture.

As ADD says manny and Ray could be a potential nightmare, especially if we concede early. I know Ellis has some knee issues but he was my first choice alongside Clarke and can only assume there has been a falling out with Hill or Keith just doesn’t fancy him. Would be a real shame if Ellis left in January.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we'll have very little possession here and only a couple of real good chances so we better make them count! Important not to conceded early. I have little faith with Ray in there.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Defence looks brittle. We don’t know the fitness of those in midfield left on the bench. Agree with RLC Morris offers more defensively and surprised he’s not started if fit. Fear a hammering.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Manny Monthe has had more decent games in a Rovers shirt than George Ray.
But has been very poor in the last number of games he played & most importantly he has been showing he doesn't want to be here.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Overall a decent first half. As you would expect they’ve had more of the ball than us and more time in our defensive third but Scottie hasn’t been troubled too much. The likes of Khan and Woolery have generally tracked back when needed and Ray and manny have been fairly solid. Full backs doing ok. A few half chances for the hosts but nothing more with Woolery heading our best chance at their keeper and Vaughan having a shot saved when he could have done better. We could easily be in front here.

More of the same second half and you never know....can’t afford to switch off though.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Decent half for us, Vaughan really should have scored but longer game goes on level then they may get more anxious.