• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Barnes Out Petition

Player
Goodison
I've heard about Barnes lobbying too. Apparently he was saying that there are not enough black managers so he should be given a job. If PJ wants to get more black managers involved - why didn't he appoint Paul Ince who speant most of last season sat 4 rows behind him. Barnes needs to realise that the reason why nobody has given him a job is not that he's black, it's because he's useless. I don't care what colour skin the manager is as long as he's half competent, unfortunately Barnes is dire.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Barnes is correct to bring up the interesting point that there aren't many black managers. I think you're twisting his words though. I don't think he's ever claimed that he's struggled to get a job because he's black, I think it's just an issue fairly close to his heart.

I very much doubt PJ cares that Barnes is black either, he appointed him because he thought he was the right man for the job. Do you really think Ince would come here over MK Dons? lol...

We need a Whitemore/Goodison management duo :-D

Player
Goodison
I think you're twisting his words though. I don't think he's ever claimed that he's struggled to get a job because he's black

I very much doubt PJ cares that Barnes is black either, he appointed him because he thought he was the right man for the job. Do you really think Ince would come here over MK Dons? lol...

Well after his Celtic sacking he said one reason he was sacked was that he was black. As for Ince, I think he would considering he's local and his previous assitant manager is a certain Ray Mathias!

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Barnes used pester power and an overlap of social circles to worm his way into the job, allegedly.

He will play the race card when he gets the boot. Of course he will. Disgrace to his race if he does that, but he'll grab for whatever money he can get, there is little doubt in my mind, as nobody else is going to employ him after this mess he's getting us into.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Well after his Celtic sacking he said one reason he was sacked was that he was black. As for Ince, I think he would considering he's local and his previous assitant manager is a certain Ray Mathias!

Ince and Mathias have parted company I think. You're very deluded if you think he'd pick Tranmere over MK Dons. I don't like Ince anyway.

Player
Goodison
lol deluded? Says the guy with Sonko as his name and Gambia as his location. :) The real reason for your dismissal of Ince is that you dont like him! Mathias didn't go to Franchise as he didn't want to travel there and back all the time.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Just received a William Hill press release about which hih profile boss will go first. I have to say, my money is on Keano...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Which Of High Profile Bosses Will Go First ?

High profile bosses under threat, but:
WHO'LL GO FIRST - KEANE, BARNES OR McPARLAND?

WILLIAM HILL have opened a book on which of the Football League's three highest profile managers at the start of the season will be leaving their club first as Roy Keane; John Barnes and Ian McParland all face pressure at Ipswich, Tranmere and Notts County respectively.
Hills make the former England star Barnes Even money favourite to be the first of the three to depart, with McParland 7/4 to be on his way from County first, with Keane 11/4 to be off before the other two.
'The three are all under severe pressure already, Keane and Barnes because their teams can't seem to win matches and McParland because many suspect a more glamorous, media-friendly replacement is being lined up' said Hill's spokesman Graham Sharpe.
HILLS: to See Season Out?
John Barnes - 7/4 YES; 2/5 NO

Ian McParland- 7/4 YES; 2/5 NO

Roy Keane- 6/5 YES; 8/13 NO

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Keane is the one most likely to walk, Barnes would need to be pushed out and Notts are doing ok and have no plans to change managers per today's radio. Going back to Mathias I read somewhere he was still getting paid by Blackburn til he gets a new job. No idea of the truth of it.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
lol deluded? Says the guy with Sonko as his name and Gambia as his location. :) The real reason for your dismissal of Ince is that you dont like him! Mathias didn't go to Franchise as he didn't want to travel there and back all the time.

Nah, it just works quite nicely for me that a.) he'd never pick TRFC over MKD and b.) I think he's a twat. Though given that I dislike both Ince and Barnes, the latter would probably argue that I'm being racist and denying black managers their break in club football management :lol:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
With all the attention seamingly aimed at Keane, Barnes is lying low..
Sack Keane and be quick!!

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Paul Sturrock at Plymouth seems to be Barnes's main competitor for the worst manager of the season so far and with the threat of the sack hanging over him, saw Sturrock's interview on the telly last night and it was painful to watch... exactly like watching Barnes.

Something or nothing

A nice change not getting beat even though it was largely down to Colchester not able to finish.

A few positive signs with a bit of team spirit too.

But it would be very satisfying to oust the slackers and Shocking Shuker must be top of the list to be ditched. Was our goalie more than just a little nervous or what, failing to come off his line time and again and then arguing with his defenders over his uncertainty. I think his injury has had a big mental effect on him, a shame because a goalie must be fearless or he ends up playing in a BMX helmet like that big girl at Chelsea. If you genuinely need such protection on your bonce then you should not be playing.

On the subject of not playing what does Charlie Barnett have to do to get a game. Its hard to believe some of the ***** we have selected and left on to play when we have good youngsters available eager and willing to learn.

I still think we will go down but we should blood the kids now and all season - thats the way back up and to an improving future.

The big worry would be going down with so called seasoned pros who dont give a damn and then going into freefall in Div 3. Maybe its all part of Johnsons master plan?
After all I do lay the blame for our position at this asset strippers door as he proves once again that he really doesnt care. Didnt he do this before somewhere - oh yes at Everton who escaped by the skin of their teeth and then he cashed in. Johnson youve ripped off money all along, please go and take Mcateer with you.
Yours in fervent hope, A Wellwisher

M

Mal

Think Colchester stuffing Charlton puts the weekend result into a much better perspective.... I forecast 9 points for tranmere after 10 games after seeing pre-season. I wasn't far out. My second forecast was for around 15 points for next 10 games. That was based on looking at the games and having a feel for how the team would have bedded in. I think at least a 0-0 is possible at Millwall. They are only 4 points ahead and mid-table. Again , that puts things into perspective. I'll come back after the next 10 games to see where we got to.... One thing I will say is that possession seemed to be a strength but shots on goal were pretty low against Wycombe. and Good luck, John.....

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We need to get about 7pts a month to reach a safe total. Millwall away is the only seemingly tough game in October and as stated above, the Lions haven't started well.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We may be ten games into the season but it's still early days yet. We have 36 more league games to play. If we can get 12 wins, 12 draws and 12 defeats, that would give us a final total of 55 points. With that total, we'd be comfortably safe. I don't think that's too much to expect given the (lack of) quality in the bottom half of League One this season. We can afford to lose quite a few more games this season, but another run like we've just had would be difficult to recover from.

M

Mal

Crikey, 2 days without a whinge about Barnes. Things must be looking up :)

M

Mal

I've seen worse in the Seventies and Eighties! Even problems under Johnny King.

Only 5 points off mid-table - could be a lot worse.

I seem to recall Hartlepool one season doing well whilst going through a period of win one, lose one. Draws in general are not exactly pointless as they do make a point.

If we win 4 games over next month, I am sure there are some teams who will do a lot worse meaning we'll move up the table.

I'm not particularly shocked by the start to the season simply because I predicted 9 points out of 30, and we got 7. Let's see if the team obtain or exceed my expectation of 15 points out of next ten games.

I see us ending the season in a position of around 15th. I also see a better situation next season.

We can pull this view apart after the next 10 games have been completed.

I did say that I thought we could get a 0-0 at Millwall but I now think we'll actually lose it 1 or 2 nil. We hardly ever do that well at Millwall so have to go with the history. Hope I'm wrong there. I think our home form will improve though as the team 'beds in'.

I'm just a cock-eyed optimist or, alternatively,a realist with lower expectations of this season than all the supporters who joined in the 'halcyon-days'.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohh dear god... This could end very very bad...