• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Barnes Out Petition

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I am convinced that things will improve. I have see 'pockets' of good football played that give me hope. Give it 20 games and if we haven't won 5 games by then.....

I think you're giving Barnes a bit too much credit here mate. Not sure were these pockets of good football have come from, and that's one of my big gripes here.

I'm all for stability and giving managers time, but there is a limit. Seven games lost on the bounce and not one shread of hope from what I've seen this season.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
You could give Barnes a million quid to spend tomorrow and HE WOULD STILL BE AN UTTERLY SHI*E MANAGER.

Muhalo hits the nail on the head there, it's frustrating.

I've been contributing to the online tranmere debates since the old mailing list days. I have never before wanted to commit violent acts to my own computer's keyboard at simply the thought of our FAACKKING IDIOT of a manager.

Get rid of that waste of space, now.

I want Tranmere to get a result every game, of course,.. but I'm shocked to admit to myself that it's my worst fear right now that we'll see a small upturn in results, win a game maybe!!!! and that will give Barnes a stay of execution... long enough to get us even deeper in the Bolton.
Neverbeatdavehiggins, sorry to have to agree with you on that one. I've been supporting Tranmere for 24 years and things have never been this bad. It's got to the point for were i'm hoping they get beat so Knobhead & Knobhead get the sack, and we can get someone in who has a clue. Why he was appointed in the first place is beyond me! He only had 2 managerial jobs, and has lasted no more than 8 months in either!! Granted we are not the wealthiest club in the league, but teams like Bristol Rovers, Brentford are just like us except they have young bright managers who can identify hungry young players and get them to play for them. We actually have a good side, easily capable of a top ten finish, but the players don't look like they want to play for him. 20 games is too long, we've got Colchester and Wycombe in our next 2 games and we must win both otherwise i think he has to go. And his sidekick......

Patience is an overated virtue

In general I must agree with the majority of views expressed; in the longer term I do have patience enough to put faith in our youth system. The problem of course is in the here and now. If John Barnes gets a win [unlikely I agree] then he may get a stay of execution, the flip side is the defeats continue to roll in and sooner or later he is thrown out. Please god the buffoon assistant goes with him. But do we wish for a defeat to see him go knowing that puts us in deeper jeopardy or cheer the odd win as we sink slowly to oblivion.
Cant decide on the lesser of two evils - any suggestions?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would never want to see us lose regardless of who is in charge, i dont want barnes as manager but will back the players and hope that pj sees common sense and makes the change quickly.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with BigMart, never want to see the team lose and if Barnes suddenly manages to get us on a winning run, I can live with that. Share Neverbeat's fears about doing just enough to avoid the sack until it's too late though.

M

Mal

I'll be interested in all the 'sheep' responses if we go on a 7-win streak. Those who go on about how we should get Ronnie back are for the most part hypocrites because they whinged when Ronnie was in charge. They whinged when anyone was in charge to be honest..... Those who are to blame most are the fair-weather 'supporters' who deprive the club of much needed funding. Oh for a crowd like at Newcastle..... Only the diehards in Birkenhead deserve a football club. Perhaps Tranmere should just pack up.
I will never 'hate' Barnes because he is a human being who is at least trying to do something for Tranmere. He may be naive in some Press responses but I find the personal attacks disgusting, especially since it was not his fault that PJ decided to change things. You lot remind me of Monty Python and the Life of Brian.....

M

Mal

Oh, by the way, I supported Tranmere when they were in the 4th division (stuff all this fancy marketing,, we are in the third division at the moment)

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Mal, I have all the time in the world for you. You try to give the long-view, a good perspective, knowing that no matter what you'll always support Tranmere, and so you might as well try to see the silver lining.

But as much as I respect another dedicated supporter of the club and team, I don't see how you can support the manager at the moment. He's useless.

We can't get Ronnie back. As if he'd come back after the disgraceful way he was booted out. He's got the Rotherham job now anyway as I understand it. The point is that we should not have sacked him, no way.

As far as the "sheep", I can't think that anyone, no matter how retarded, no matter how fickle, no matter how they wave their shoes, could possibly flip-flop back to supporting Barnes. He's a very very bad manager, and we've seen it now.

Now, while I'm thinking the unthinkable and questioning if I even want Tranmere to win the next game (I do, by the way) let's also look at the very real possibility that we go down a division, the budgets get slashed yet again... at what fictional point could our two ramshackle supporters trusts get their acts together and take over? I'd guess only after Administration to clear the debt. So that's a points deduction. Next season, already down a league.. then lose the points. Oh it's a horror story the whole thing. There will be people who say getting relegated is what the club needs, that it will be a good thing... those idiots said the same thing while Aldo was around and it's just wrong.

We need PJ to act sooner rather than later and save the club.

What annoys me at the moment is the people who criticise and argue with other Tranmere fans that are calling for Barnes to go, those fans will be here long after he has gone. We share a love of Tranmere... this does not and should not automatically equate to a love of the manager under any circumstance.

So call for Regicide, or at least let others get on with doing it.. and keep in mind this: "The King is dead; long live the King!"

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
The destructive effect Barnes is having...

There is no way, with as few fans as we have, that we should be getting into arguments - even fighting - over whether it's right to openly call for the manager to be sacked or not.

He's tearing our already small club to pieces. And that's another reason he has to go.

BARNES OUT.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I'll be interested in all the 'sheep' responses if we go on a 7-win streak. Those who go on about how we should get Ronnie back are for the most part hypocrites because they whinged when Ronnie was in charge. They whinged when anyone was in charge to be honest..... Those who are to blame most are the fair-weather 'supporters' who deprive the club of much needed funding. Oh for a crowd like at Newcastle..... Only the diehards in Birkenhead deserve a football club. Perhaps Tranmere should just pack up.
I will never 'hate' Barnes because he is a human being who is at least trying to do something for Tranmere. He may be naive in some Press responses but I find the personal attacks disgusting, especially since it was not his fault that PJ decided to change things. You lot remind me of Monty Python and the Life of Brian.....

What a paper-thin argument. You incorrectly assume those who would have liked to see Moore return recently were against him while he was in charge. And who has said they hate Barnes as a person? Are you John Barnes? Really? You're just talking nonsense now IMO. Read the responses in this thread. Pretty much every point you've made has been blown out of the water at some point.

And LOL @ Newcastle fans being the benchmark. The same fans that ran Shephard, Ashley, Wise, Allerdyce etc out of town without great reason but would rejoice at the prospect of Championship football under Keegan or Shearer? Not really the type of fan base we should be aspiring towards.

Might I also add that you're doing the most "whinging" out of anyone in this thread! :lol:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hmm 7 game win streak at this rate we will do well to win that many all season

muhalo

Player
Pat Nevin
Sorry Mal but your typing nonsense. You sound like you’re trying to make out that you’re some kind of super-fan because you’re not a “whinger.” Well this isn’t an Opera club, it’s a football club, and it’s time to whinge because the conductor can’t keep time. To continue with this already shaky analogy (they’ll be more of those) I’d say you were deaf as well as blind.

You can’t suggest a fan of any club should keep quiet while things go from bad to worse on the pitch. You’re Commander Queeg and haven’t quite grasped just how bad the situation is. Instead you’d rather play it how it was when we were in the good old fourth division. The glory days! Well it’s commendable to have supported the club for all that time but that only proves you’re older than some of us.

I feel uncomfortable attacking Barnes for reasons I’ve already said. He was a great player, may even one day become a good manager – I’d just rather he didn’t learn the ropes at the expense of our club. And surely Mal, if we have 600K less to work with in the budget, and are left with kids playing in defence, why on earth are we trying an elaborate pass and move tactic that still isn’t working? Why aren’t we neck deep in a system that might preserve the confidence of the youth team players and maybe concede fewer goals in the process? Right now we need to score four to stand any chance of winning. Barnes rates our success at the moment by how many we lose by.

Sorry Mal. I hope Barnes pulls it around, however painful that process might be. But in the meantime I’ll reserve the right to whinge, thanks all the same.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I just laughed at the 7-win streak. There's more chance of a 7-man streak on the pitch!!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Barnes Interview

Interesting interview with Barnes in the Guardian today. Some of his quotes include:

"I'll go when the situation becomes untenable, because all managers have to do that. But that won't be my decision. I've been trying to get back into club management for 10 years and I'm not about to give it up easily" (He obviously isn't going to resign)

"I had been pushing for managers jobs for years and this one happened to be around the corner from where I live" (Glad it was convenient for him to reach his place of work!)

"It made a change from not even getting an interview" (Says it all really)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Interesting interview with Barnes in the Guardian today. Some of his quotes include:

"I'll go when the situation becomes untenable, because all managers have to do that. But that won't be my decision. I've been trying to get back into club management for 10 years and I'm not about to give it up easily" (He obviously isn't going to resign)

"I had been pushing for managers jobs for years and this one happened to be around the corner from where I live" (Glad it was convenient for him to reach his place of work!)

"It made a change from not even getting an interview" (Says it all really)

If that's what he is thinking, he has just talked himself out of a job. He's clearly lost confidence in himself and reading this will hardly inspire the players. I think PJ will act soon after he gets back from holiday.

Ally

Player
Aldo
And this, as said by Muhalo earlier, is the crux of the whole issue

"if we have 600K less to work with in the budget, and are left with kids playing in defence, why on earth are we trying an elaborate pass and move tactic that still isn’t working"

This is exactly the reason why we are in this mess and Barnes needs to go or eat humble pie and accept that they system is failing, hold up his hands, apologise, and try to change it. I will have far more respect for him if he does this as it shows he is willing to understand that he has made a mistake.

In the Guardian article - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/25/john-barnes-tranmere-rovers-manager - he talks about not having much experience. Part of cutting your teeth in any role is accepting that you will make mistakes and learning from them. Barnes seems intent of continuing with a passing system that he simply does not have the quality for. It's this arrogance and bloody-mindedness that is contributing to our winless streak, plus the fact that he can't seem to motivate the players. With this in mind, my post that said let's give him 10 league games is looking like a few games too many.

M

Mal

Sonkorly,

Forgive me if I say 'kettle, pot, black' - I read past posts, not only on this forum.

I still think that Barnes should be given more time. End of.

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
I suspect this has been set up by the sort of knowledgeable tosser that rings up 606 or Aldo on 96.7.

Certainly seems to have been signed by some interesting people though. And I only looked at 1 page.

I've just checked it out, I think its a waste of time and it won't make a difference.

Player
Liam Palmer
One interesting story that's doing the rounds amongst the local journalists is that barnes lobbied PJ for at least two years to be given the Rovers job. Certainly Barnes answer in the Guardian seems to indirectly back that theory up.