• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Bantams v Rovers

Match result

• Bradford

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bantams v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Utilita Energy Stadium
Friday, April 15, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Friday, April 15, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Frustratingly, we brought in an experienced front man in Hemmings and he hasn't really delivered. We know he's got the ability and track record so for me, you have to look toward the management and question why.

There have been a lot of failings over the last few months, yes we've had injuries/suspensions but I don't think our freefall has been solely down to this.

Are the players not as good as we think they are?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Frustratingly, we brought in an experienced front man in Hemmings and he hasn't really delivered. We know he's got the ability and track record so for me, you have to look toward the management and question why.

There have been a lot of failings over the last few months, yes we've had injuries/suspensions but I don't think our freefall has been solely down to this.

I don't think the squad is good enough to cope with the loss of players like Glatzel and Morris for any length of time, and there is not sufficient back up for somebody like Clarke, who was excellent for two thirds of the season but has shown signs of fatigue recently. Too much responsibility has been placed on players like Warrington in recent weeks, who is too young to cope with it at the moment.

If you consider the recruitment last summer, players such as Feeney, MacManaman, Mani and Maguire were brought in, sometimes on decent wages, but were not good enough, which has resulted in the squad being unbalanced in certain areas.

Player
Manager
John King
Hemmings is not the issue. He has delivered in terms of goals and assists, and it is the creativity in the side that is the problem.

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
Hemmings is not the issue. He has delivered in terms of goals and assists, and it is the creativity in the side that is the problem.
I agree with this. Hemmings was making runs off the ball yesterday (unlike Nevitt) but wasn't getting the service. We are reliant on Morris and Warrington for creativity and when one is suspended and the other one looks knackered, there is next to nothing for the forwards to feed off

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes agreed. Let’s hope we have a decent summer of recruitment!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’m not convinced that there isn’t enough quality in this squad, when deployed to suit their strengths, to have not been in a stronger position although agree that the recent loss of the banned Macdonald and Morris is a major blow. Micky felt it was more important to bring in a young creative midfielder in Warrington rather that a central defender to allow resting of senior defenders like Clarke. We’ll have to assess that at the end of the season, but for me it was a bit of a lose/lose situation as we probably required both.

I haven’t seen any of the action or heard any commentary from yesterday so my views are limited to reports and forums. It seemed like Warrington was ineffective at the tip of the diamond and got more into the game second half when the formation changed. Still think it would have been better to give Warrington a breather in this game. It didn’t seem like Maynard made any impact when he came on for Nevitt either?

Player
Manager
John King
What was your take on the Nevitt substitution ?
I did not think he had a particularly good game and it made sense to try something different at that stage. I thought Maynard's movement was decent when he came on but, as Over the Water alludes to above, he was not found by the midfield. There was one occasion when Mac Manaman slid a good ball into him when he was in space, but his first touch let him down.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maynard is still very rusty and has not had 90 minutes for quite a while. I think we need to recruit much better midfielders for next season that can knit the play together. Defensively we are fine, we have experience up top but we just need more from the middle.

I like Warrington, he should have a decent career but he is very young and still learning. We need more from the more experienced players. I think some of them do not have the fight needed sadly.

Player
Manager
John King
I still think we need more up front to be honest. If Glatzel had stayed fit that would not necessarily be the case, but at the moment we are basically left with Hemmings as the only experienced, proven striker. Nevitt is improving rapidly but still is not the finished article, and Jolley seems way off the first team at the moment. Maynard will leave and possibly retire at the end of the season.

I think we need more depth and quality in several areas.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

I don't think we know how to use Hemmings to get the best out of him, too often we have lumped the ball in the air to him which is clearly not his strength given

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think we know how to use Hemmings to get the best out of him, too often we have lumped the ball in the air to him which is clearly not his strength given
I think there is some truth in this. Not enough good quality supply either from the midfield, from Warrington or whoever, or from the wide areas.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think next season we need more players who are perhaps say mid/late 20s with decent experience. Subject to budgets of course.

We have a number of either over 30s or players very young and or with little FL experience. As I say it depends on budget but we almost have too many of the extremes I.e mid late 30s with loads of experience or players with not enough

Reactions: Ian