• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Bantams v Rovers

Match result

• Bradford

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bantams v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Utilita Energy Stadium
Friday, April 15, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Friday, April 15, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While mathematically we can still go up as Sparky states, the reality is it’s very unlikely. I think Micky picked the wrong starting xi and it didn’t seem the h/t changes made a great deal of difference. The Exeter game is at best going to be a what might have been type experience and unless we make the play-offs (highly unlikely) will be my last game of the season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
No win in five. Serious questions need to be asked of staff and players.
Selection and tactics are frankly baffling.

Exeter could well win the league now

Player
Aldo
I think that Monday is going to be a Jim Bowen " Look what you could have won " moment , I might just have an appointment with the garden.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boz

ADD

Player
Norwood
That was dire and the fact we scraped a point should not detract from that display which was an embarrassment given they hit the post and Murphy had to make two very good saves as well to keep us in it. We had the goal and Foley's header and that was it against a team whose home form is appalling.

Many of the players did not look interested and seemed to be approaching it as if it was a pre-season friendly in August. MM is clearly not able to motivate them any more for whatever reason and the season is completely drifting. MM seemed pretty resigned at the end of the game as he trudged onto the pitch? Either way when a Manager can't motivate a team then surely he is on borrowed time.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
That was dire and the fact we scraped a point should not detract from that display which was an embarrassment given they hit the post and Murphy had to make two very good saves as well to keep us in it. We had the goal and Foley's header and that was it against a team whose home form is appalling.

Many of the players did not look interested and seemed to be approaching it as if it was a pre-season friendly in August. MM is clearly not able to motivate them any more for whatever reason and the season is completely drifting. MM seemed pretty resigned at the end of the game as he trudged onto the pitch? Either way when a Manager can't motivate a team then surely he is on borrowed time.
I don't disagree but players should be fully motivated with a play off place still up for grabs.

I don't expect Micky to go but I fully expect next season to be similar again with frankly fairly dull football again

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
MM is clearly not able to motivate them any more for whatever reason and the season is completely drifting.
This is a worry but I do believe management and players are at fault. The manager has not been able to address the shocking away form and some of the players just don't look up for the fight. It's quite an awful turnaround in form and questions do need to be answered. None of this drivel we get after games.

Spearing said before this game: "We've got five games now to prove why we should be in the play-offs and I think if we can do that, we should be in them". Well, they've certainly proved why they should not be in them!

I mean we could not beat a team struggling for a home win and with 10 men. I only think to wonder how this would have turned out had they had 11 on the pitch for most of the game. Defence shocking again in parts and Murphy made a couple of good saves to keep the score down.

On a seperate note, Merrie got turned quite a few times by Pereira to show his defensive frailties, the ref had a decent game and I did not realise Bradford got such good attendances. 17256 there today.

drwhoman

This is a worry but I do believe management and players are at fault. The manager has not been able to address the shocking away form and some of the players just don't look up for the fight. It's quite an awful turnaround in form and questions do need to be answered. None of this drivel we get after games.

Spearing said before this game: "We've got five games now to prove why we should be in the play-offs and I think if we can do that, we should be in them". Well, they've certainly proved why they should not be in them!

I mean we could not beat a team struggling for a home win and with 10 men. I only think to wonder how this would have turned out had they had 11 on the pitch for most of the game. Defence shocking again in parts and Murphy made a couple of good saves to keep the score down.

On a seperate note, Merrie got turned quite a few times by Pereira to show his defensive frailties, the ref had a decent game and I did not realise Bradford got such good attendances. 17256 there today.
I can only assume that the players see the inevitable and that most of their contracts will be up soon. Why bother? MM has runs on the Board to survive now you would think but if they start next season poorly?!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I can only assume that the players see the inevitable and that most of their contracts will be up soon. Why bother? MM has runs on the Board to survive now you would think but if they start next season poorly?!
The players should be either hoping to get another contract with us or if not impress others to get a contract elsewhere, not putting in the effort won't help on either count.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

Sadly it's been obvious for a while now that Micky does not know how to change things around to stop the rot. His selections and formations just smack of desperation and why we sign players yet never play them like Walker or Maguire is beyond me and a waste of money

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’ve only seen the highlights but for their goal Merrie didn’t stop the cross coming in and on another occasion he did the same. Albeit small highlights how we haven’t lost that game I don’t know. A great save from Murphy from songo and Angol should score when hitting the post.

Micky post match as honest as ever saying we looked lethargic and leggy. A bit of a worry. He obviously suggests it’s a decent point at ‘such a tough place to come’ - no one else has found it particular tough this season!

I still think Micky is the man but patience is wearing a bit thin amongst many SWA I know. Not just the results but as Ian says, he’s not been able to find a solution to our awful away form and goal scoring record on our travels. Is this poor coaching? Or could Micky claim the players just aren’t good enough?

drwhoman

The players should be either hoping to get another contract with us or if not impress others to get a contract elsewhere, not putting in the effort won't help on either count.
You are probably right bigmart and maybe the dynamics within the team are not right. There seems to be a lack of collective drive. It cannot be that the players are not good enough - we were second only a few weeks ago albeit that we have lost important players since.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
You are probably right bigmart and maybe the dynamics within the team are not right. There seems to be a lack of collective drive. It cannot be that the players are not good enough - we were second only a few weeks ago albeit that we have lost important players since.
It just feels the same as last season except this time I don't see us making the play offs

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Watched this on iFollow today at a family gathering with one of our son in laws, an ardent and over emotional Bradford supporter but at least the SWA kitted grandchildren outnumbered the claret/amber mini bantams. Thought it was going to be like the Boxing Day 20 match at PP with us losing 0.1 having to take all sort of painful banter from the neutrals, except this time we didn’t really deserve anything from the stuttering disjointed performance and even the ref was allegedly on our side. Callum Mc I humbly take back all those derogatory remarks I made when you entered the fray: you saved my blushes and rescued the Easter weekend mood of despair.
I have seen us play some good crisp attacking play at times this season but in all too rare short patches. However although not seeing as many games as many, mostly see us as an bang average mid table side side which just does not enough quality to drive on for promotion.
We seemed to play like strangers at times today, with forward momentum so often lost with misunderstandings or passes behind and not enough dynamic movement. MOM for me Joe Murphy who kept us in it.
Amazingly even now we could still sneak into the playoffs by stringing a couple of wins together and stranger things have happened. Of course improbable, more in hope than belief I will drive out past our Premier league stadium to at least two more games.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was another laboured away performance, and confidence and belief in the squad are very low at the moment. The vast majority of players are below par but certain individuals, Hawkes and Warrington, are really struggling. However, I think it is absolute rubbish to suggest there is no effort. At the final whistle a number of the players slumped to the pitch in disappointment, and were clearly gutted at the outcome, and as much as we huffed and puffed for the majority of the game, the players kept going which resulted in the late equaliser.

The tactics are being queried, but I would have started with the diamond formation. The wingers have not been performing for weeks, and Hawkes was really poor again when he came on, and that system should have allowed us to control the ball in midfield. However, we started poorly again with no conviction and allowed Bradford to get on top, and that meant we were always going to be exposed in the wide areas because of the lack of width with the formation we were using. However, to give Mellon credit, he changed back to a 442 at half time and we had the most adventurous line up possible on the pitch in the second half.

Bradford deserved to win the game given their performance with ten men, but there were some decent individual displays from our players. Murphy and Cogley had good games, and I thought the movement of the strikers was good at times, although they were not often found by the midfield. However, I think particular credit has to go to MacManaman who earned us a point and played very well in the second period, his best performance in a Rovers shirt. It is just a mystery where that player has been for the last nine months.

In terms of Micky's position, I did not expect us to make the play offs before today's game and I don't now. However, I still want him here next season. The reality is we have been hit by injuries and suspensions at the worst possible time - Glatzel, Spearing, Morris, MacDonald - and as a result players like Warrington and Hawkes have been run into the ground and are playing on empty in terms of confidence, with no real chance of rotation. I think the squad obviously needs strengthening in several areas, and I think Mellon is the man to oversee that process in the summer.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It’s a time for cool heads and difficult decisions. Last season Keith Hill came in late and got us into the playoffs, with the bonuses of the third round of the FA Cup and a trip to Wembley. Arguably, had he not lost his star striker to injury and premature retirement, we could now be in League One.

Instead, he gets the sack and Micky comes back and despite a full season in charge he looks unlikely to match any of Hill’s three achievements. So, in theory he looks likely to pay the price of failure.

However, I think he will stay. Mark’s record of recruiting managers is mediocre at best. Brabin, Adams, Jackson and Hill have been and gone. Only Micky has given us any success. So, I think Mark will be reluctant to let Micky go. Instead, he’ll refresh the squad in the summer and give Micky more time. Whether it will turn out well, I can’t say. I’m just predicting what will happen.

I’m bitterly disappointed with how this season has gone. I don’t understand what has happened. You can’t blame everything on injuries and suspensions. But I’m inclined to back Micky for at least another six months.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It’s a time for cool heads and difficult decisions. Last season Keith Hill came in late and got us into the playoffs, with the bonuses of the third round of the FA Cup and a trip to Wembley. Arguably, had he not lost his star striker to injury and premature retirement, we could now be in League One.

Instead, he gets the sack and Micky comes back and despite a full season in charge he looks unlikely to match any of Hill’s three achievements. So, in theory he looks likely to pay the price of failure.

However, I think he will stay. Mark’s record of recruiting managers is mediocre at best. Brabin, Adams, Jackson and Hill have been and gone. Only Micky has given us any success. So, I think Mark will be reluctant to let Micky go. Instead, he’ll refresh the squad in the summer and give Micky more time. Whether it will turn out well, I can’t say. I’m just predicting what will happen.

I’m bitterly disappointed with how this season has gone. I don’t understand what has happened. You can’t blame everything on injuries and suspensions. But I’m inclined to back Micky for at least another six months.
In fairness, Hill had Vaughan up front for three quarters of the season, and if he had played a similar number of games this season we might well be going up, or at least making the play offs. It is also worth mentioning that Hill was not in charge for the entirety of those cup runs, and inherited a team that was already playing well under Dawes and was full of confidence. He did not recruit our better players the previous summer either.

However, I agree that in terms of his on the pitch performance, Hill was quite harshly treated last season. I think it was the right decision to let him go because of off the field matters, but we can't become a club that fires successful, experienced managers every six to twelve months despite top half finishes. That is a recipe for constant instability, and ending up in Everton's situation.

Player
Aldo
In fairness, Hill had Vaughan up front for three quarters of the season, and if he had played a similar number of games this season we might well be going up, or at least making the play offs. It is also worth mentioning that Hill was not in charge for the entirety of those cup runs, and inherited a team that was already playing well under Dawes and was full of confidence. He did not recruit our better players the previous summer either.

However, I agree that in terms of his on the pitch performance, Hill was quite harshly treated last season. I think it was the right decision to let him go because of off the field matters, but we can't become a club that fires successful, experienced managers every six to twelve months despite top half finishes. That is a recipe for constant instability, and ending up in Everton's situation.
What was your take on the Nevitt substitution ?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We have been absolutely woefull away from home all season and as well as suspensions and

Injuries Micky has to share a fair part of the blame too for various totally baffling decisions.

We have been constantly outplayed away from home and not picked up enough points which then puts so much pressure on home form with the inevitable outcome we are seeing.

I would replace Micky in the summer as I don't think he will change, he will want a big squad and we will have a number of players never getting a look in, we won't be very entertaining to watch.

I think Micky will stay for next season as Mark has faith in him, the only way that is likely to change would be a dramatic reduction in season ticket sales. The argument of his previous promotions is now starting to wear thin as for me this season has shown being pragmatic or however you want to describe our style has not worked and the season will be a failure

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
For anyone interested in the stats Mickey Melon 1.59 points per match, Keith Hill 1.75 points per match.
I’m not making any judgement call on that as stats can be interpreted to suit any argument.
With regards to Mellon I’m ambivalent; do I want him gone, no. Do I think he errs on occasions, yes.
Yesterday wasn’t a pleasant away experience with regards to the game; fractious to say the least in the away end. It’s incredible how a goal can gloss over what went before. I’m personally trying to struggle to put too many positives on the game, I normally try to eek out the good, and I felt a point was harsh on Bradford with Murphy and the post doing us a favour. I thought our movement off the ball was lacking and too often the passing was behind the player or intercepted. Nevitt’s substitution was understandable to some degree as he was pretty anonymous, although the same could have been said about Hemmings with a number booing the substitution. Yes, there was effort there, but effort from what looked like a tired side (even Mickey alluded to this). Creativity was sorely lacking until the goal and we often chose to come back inside rather than use any width; wing back play was in short supply.
It’s interesting reading on the Bradford forum, for those that give other forums any credence, as it’s pretty scathing about us.To be honest, it’s possibly the first time I’ve been on an opponent’s forum and there hasn’t really been a balance added or counter argument. Most will take that with a pinch of salt and perhaps I should have better things to do with my time, but sadly some will think they’re not too far off the mark on this occasion.
Time is running out for us to put some much needed wins on the board.
Apologies for the air of negativity and by Monday I’ll have renewed belief we can help FGR to the title (sad when it comes to that!).