• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Bantams v Rovers

Match result

• Bradford

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bantams v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Utilita Energy Stadium
Friday, April 15, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Friday, April 15, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rovers will take a good following to Bradford with over 1,200 tickets sold. Given our recent away record hats off to the SWA for travelling in such numbers. As we know the hosts had good expectations this season managing to prise derek adams from promoted morecambe but as is often the case it didn’t work out and perhaps a surprise saw mark hughes return to management. His record however since he got the job hasn’t been great, especially at home. Of his 8 league games overall managing Bradford have won 2, drawn 2 and lost 4. In their last 8 home games they have lost 6. Surely an ample opportunity then for us to get our play off hopes back on track? But then the hosts will think against a side with such recent poor form on their travels, surely it’s a chance for 3 points for them in front of a bumper home crowd.

the hosts have been playing Ridehalgh and cookie of late with the latter having a bit of a scoring drought. He’ll have a good battle against Clarke and you would think would enjoy playing under Hgushes who was a similar no nonsense front man.

as for rovers I can’t see many changes as the squad is limited. Sounds like NKP did ok v Bristol but if davies is fit expect him to return. Mcpake may get a place on the bench although he was ill and injured so may come too soon. Really need the likes of hawkes to step up now as he’s done nothing for weeks.

prediction - a draw for me. Although It could go either way and the first goal will be crucial. Defeat here ahead of a strong Exeter coming to PP on Monday could be a further nail in the coffin for our promotion ambitions this season. I just hope if things don’t go our way then the travellling SWA aren’t too harsh on the players or MM

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not sure if true but someone just put on FB that the ref for Friday is Carl Boyeson who has a record of reffing 15 TRFC matches with 15 defeats for us

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we have to break the away day voodoo and win. We only picked up 2 points from our 2 home games and it's not enough as we are now out of the playoffs. If we can win, that would give us a massive boost for the remaining games. Anything else and I think we can kiss the season goodbye. I really do think it is crunch time now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not sure if true but someone just put on FB that the ref for Friday is Carl Boyeson who has a record of reffing 15 TRFC matches with 15 defeats for us
It is sadly true. Don't think we've won in the last 18 games hes been in the middle over a 12 year period. In some of those he's certainly been a factor like the Blackett-Taylor second yellow at Lincoln, which most deemed very harsh. Think I'd sooner have Breakspear :rolleyes:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As Ian says we really need a win. Confidence can’t be great after all the late goals we’ve conceded recently. I’m sure Micky has done a decent job in lifting the spirits but if we go a goal down it could be a long afternoon. With their poor home record the same can be said for them - we score first and they’ll get on their backs for sure. Therefore we need to be positive and go for that first goal. Hopefully we don’t just look like we’re happy with a point

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We are woefull away and sadly I think that will continue with another defeat 2 0

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Before I saw who was refereeing thought we might get something out of this game, if not the win which is required. Now I'm not confident at all.

In terms of team selection weren't McPake and Davies ill rather than injured, certainly Davies was. If so, it depends what the illness was as to whether either will be available for this game. Assuming neither are available, then the line-up will be fairly similar to the Bristol Rovers game. Maybe worth giving Warrington a rest and starting with the more experienced and physically stronger Foley in midfield, as I think Lewis will be more valuable to us firing on all cylinders for the Exeter game. I did get a ticket for this game, but other factors mean now unlikely to make it though final decision on the day.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not sure the identity of the referee will have much bearing on the outcome, provided we keep eleven players on the pitch.

As Sparky comments above, Davies will probably be available and will come back into the side, but McPake is injured as well as ill and seems likely to miss out again. If that is the case, I would rather we ditched the 442 with wide men for this game, given that MacManaman simply is not good enough to start and Hawkes is below par at the moment. I would play a diamond with Hawkes at the tip, and Spearing, O'Connor and Warrington making up the rest of the midfield quartet.

I agree that we really do need to win this game. If we don't pick up three points it is likely we will be three or four points adrift of the top seven at 5pm, with a very difficult game against Exeter to follow. We don't want to end up in a situation where the game on Monday is effectively win or bust in terms of our play off hopes.

I am hoping that the bumper away following will help to create a cup tie atmosphere and rouse the players from their recent slumbers away from home. We have to win an away game some time, so why not Friday ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I am not sure the identity of the referee will have much bearing on the outcome, provided we keep eleven players on the pitch.
Unsure I'd agree with this, Whether we keep a full compliment of players on the pitch or are treated even-handedly is very much down to the referee. In the same way as we usually fare badly against certain opponents, some referees never seen to give us the rub of the green. In the current crop of FL officials, Boyeson is the one I least like seeing in the middle for a Rovers game. Only Gavin Ward comes close. Despite the Carlisle debacle, even Breakspear hasn't been that bad usually when doing our games.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Unsure I'd agree with this, Whether we keep a full compliment of players on the pitch or are treated even-handedly is very much down to the referee. In the same way as we usually fare badly against certain opponents, some referees never seen to give us the rub of the green. In the current crop of FL officials, Boyeson is the one I least like seeing in the middle for a Rovers game. Only Gavin Ward comes close. Despite the Carlisle debacle, even Breakspear hasn't been that bad usually when doing our games.
We would be unlucky to end up with nine men twice in three games.

If we do our own job on the pitch, I am sure we will be fine.

ADD

Player
Norwood
As Ian says we really need a win. Confidence can’t be great after all the late goals we’ve conceded recently. I’m sure Micky has done a decent job in lifting the spirits but if we go a goal down it could be a long afternoon. With their poor home record the same can be said for them - we score first and they’ll get on their backs for sure. Therefore we need to be positive and go for that first goal. Hopefully we don’t just look like we’re happy with a point
Agreed Sparky - let's hope they go for it and from the off!
A draw against a team so woefully out of form at home simply isn't going to work especially given we also have the worst goal difference of all the 11 teams realistically chasing promotion. A win is a must yes but a win by 2 or 3 goals would be even better!
Will MM roll the dice and go for it - I wonder. Team wise it's late in the day to be making changes but I do wonder if he will do something a bit out of leftfield.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
I know it’s going back a few years, but Sam Allison would have me looking for the exit if he was reffing tomorrow. The man in the middle can create havoc and he did. I’m hoping we give it a good go tomorrow as, much to the annoyance of the wife who’d have preferred me chained to a number of DIY tasks this bank holiday weekend, I’m making the effort to go (she’s yet to latch on that we’re playing again on Monday!). Another ground for my son to tick off and enjoy the local “Spoons” and the beauty of Bradford.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Looks to be a midfield diamond with no real width, Davies starts too

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Unsure about today’s line-up. Not playing with any of the wide players makes us look rather compressed and it puts a lot onto Warrington to do the creative work. We’ll see.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hopefully we can gain some control in midfield and use it to feed the strikers. Come on Rovers!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Unsure about today’s line-up. Not playing with any of the wide players makes us look rather compressed and it puts a lot onto Warrington to do the creative work. We’ll see.
Looks to be yet another strange decision

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well our season continues to fall apart big time play offs be over today, 1down and bit in the game so far