• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Ash to Aberdeen

frenchrover

Player
aldo
And surprise, surprise I notice the Exeter No 1, Artur Krysiak (24 yrs) ex-Polish U19, announced on 8th May that he was leaving the club. I guess we just need to await the annoucement!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Junior Brown couldn't play in the play offs as he was banned after the red card for us.

Brown was not in Graham Alexander's plans so he will almost certainly be available. Whether we want him or can afford him is another matter.

Disappointed about Mooney. The timing of his move is strange as with Fonners set to leave and a new manager in place, he almost certainly would have been first choice next season. I would have liked to see him stay and establish himself.

Regarding Gill, I would assume he has principally been brought in as a coach, which in itself is a good move as our backroom staff has been far too small in recent seasons, as many people have pointed out. As for his abilities as a player, most Exeter fans seem to think he is a bit past it, so I would hope we will sign another defensive midfielder if Jennings leaves.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think Mooney was ever given enough opportunity at Tranmere, regardless of how poor OFWs form and how well he performed when standing in for the Welshman, he was dropped as soon as Owain became available again. Presumably he was only offered a 1 year deal or no assurances about his prospects of more starts this season. If OFW is going, it puts us in a difficult situation regarding keepers, as Ramsbottom lacks the experience to be our no 1.

Fairly neutral about Gill, but as there was money for a player-coach, I'd have preferred an offer to Lowe, which might have stopped him departing for Bury.

I hope our new manager is going to extend his recruiting beyond players he's worked with before. Maybe time to start considering Mick and Jeremy's list?

Player
Manager
John King
I hope our new manager is going to extend his recruiting beyond players he's worked with before. Maybe time to start considering Mick and Jeremy's list?

In fairness to him, he has only been in the job 48 hours ! Every new manager wants a couple of 'lieutenants' alongside them that they are comfortable working with. I am sure signings from other clubs will follow in due course. I also disagree about offering Lowe a role as player coach; difficult to see how we could do that before the manager had been appointed and if one of the egos from last season was hanging around in a senior role it would be difficult for the new man to stamp his authority.

However, I agree that it is strange that we saw fit to offer Kirby a two year deal but not Mooney. I think the latter is a better player and was more crucial to our plans for next season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
How do people now how long a contract Mooney was offered?

As for Lowe we could've offered him another deal he would not have signed it, he was always going to Bury

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
How do people now how long a contract Mooney was offered?
The details are on the BBC website. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27623426
It's interesting that Jason mentions his lack of league experience and his keenness to get some at York. However, he is likely to be number two at the KitKat, whereas he might have been number one at PP. I can only assume better money or some personal issues caused him to go.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I meant nobody knows how long a contract we offered him. does seem bit strange as Fon seems likely to got so would probably would've been our number 1

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
How certain can we be that OFW is leaving? Nothing been confirmed yet, but Mooney must have had some inside knowledge about what the future holds and decided he'd have more first team opportunities at York, despite the fact they have an established keeper, or he was offered a longer/better paid deal there.

When Lowe was first rumoured to be off to Bury, it was mooted that he'd also be given some role on the coaching staff, an area he aspired to work in, although that doesn't seem to have materialised. One of the things McMahon said in his post-relegation remarks was that we didn't have enough coaches. I don't think it was a given that Lowe would have gone to Bury, if he'd had been offered a coaching role with us, who knows... While he comes across as a mercenary, he's also a grafter who'll get stuck in and from the snippets that have emerged from behind the scenes, doesn't seem to have been one of the awkward squad.

No criticism was intended of Rob Edwards initial recruits being players he knows. However looking at where Exeter and Bristol Rovers finished last season recruiting purely from them would not inspire confidence. Fortunately our Secretary and Chief Executive have been drawing up a wish-list of players, which I anticipate extends beyond the west country!

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Talking of combatitive midfielders I note that Michael Brown has been released from Leeds. Wonder whether we could afford him - at 37 he seems to just want to play and do coaching badges - may settle for our type of offer.

Defo need a striker or two - think Stockton is still at squad level at the moment - even in L 2

Player
Manager
John King
When Lowe was first rumoured to be off to Bury, it was mooted that he'd also be given some role on the coaching staff, an area he aspired to work in, although that doesn't seem to have materialised. One of the things McMahon said in his post-relegation remarks was that we didn't have enough coaches. I don't think it was a given that Lowe would have gone to Bury, if he'd had been offered a coaching role with us, who knows...

I am pretty sure we would not have been able to match the money Bury have offered him, regardless of his job description. Edwards has already been asked to work with one coach he does not know - McMahon - so it would have been far from ideal if he had been appointed with Lowe also in situ and then been unable to bring any of his own people in.

Taking those factors together, I don't think appointing Lowe as a coach was ever really a possibility.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I am pretty sure we would not have been able to match the money Bury have offered him, regardless of his job description. Edwards has already been asked to work with one coach he does not know - McMahon - so it would have been far from ideal if he had been appointed with Lowe also in situ and then been unable to bring any of his own people in.

Taking those factors together, I don't think appointing Lowe as a coach was ever really a possibility.

I'm inclined to agree with you about the kind of money Bury could offer. Less sure about the issue of Edwards picking his own coaching team and any manager would have liked a player of Lowe's calibre in his squad, so could have been adaptable in that respect. However it didn't happen and we move on.

On the goalkeeping front from reported remarks, Ramsbottom does seem to be viewed as capable of being a sub keeper, whether that is to OFW or a new keeper remains to be seen.

Going back to Ash-related issues, I would hope that the club are pushing the boat out to get Max to sign an extended Kirby-style contract. Of our current younger players under contract, he's most likely to attract attention from elsewhere and anything to ensure we get some cash when he goes would be good.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Totally agree Boz, its a must for me we offer an extended deal to Max

Player
Manager
John King
Going back to Ash-related issues, I would hope that the club are pushing the boat out to get Max to sign an extended Kirby-style contract. Of our current younger players under contract, he's most likely to attract attention from elsewhere and anything to ensure we get some cash when he goes would be good.

Yes, I agree. Max will be an excellent player at League Two level.

Regarding Fonners, I believe that we have a one year option on him, so unless we choose to sell he will be here next season ? If so, it would explain why Mooney was happy to leave.

For all his faults, Fonners would probably be the best keeper in League Two next season if we can hold on to him.