• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Are we going up?

Are we going up?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
But the aim for the season was promotion, in all probability we won't make the play offs so the manager rightly will be criticised as it will be a failure
The aim of a dozen clubs will have been promotion, and they can't all go up in the same season.

If we miss out by a hair's breadth, the extent of the criticism of the manager is not justified.

By that measure we have 'failed' as a club in 94 of the 100 seasons we have existed.

drwhoman

The aim of a dozen clubs will have been promotion, and they can't all go up in the same season.

If we miss out by a hair's breadth, the extent of the criticism of the manager is not justified.

By that measure we have 'failed' as a club in 94 of the 100 seasons we have existed.
As ever RLC, you put a positive spin on everything, which is to be admired. That said, not so long ago we were in the automatic promotion places. That is the big disappointment for me. Whatever the reasons, injuries to key players probably being a factor, we have not ‘gone on with it’. It suggests a mental fragility within the player group, which has to be a dealt with next season. Poor form away from home is a reflection was a reflection of this weakness.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

The owner and manager both said the aim for the season was promotion, so then yes the season has been a failure

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
In simple terms it probably has been a failure. We haven’t (or are unlikely to), been promoted.

But at the end of the day Micky deserves another season to try again (in my opinion)

Player
Manager
John King
The owner and manager both said the aim for the season was promotion, so then yes the season has been a failure
You can never guarantee that your aims will be achieved immediately. We have to have aims, otherwise we would have no ambition, but that does not necessarily mean that promotion had to be achieved in Mellon's first season back at the club.

ADD

Player
Norwood
You can argue it either way but I am sure with the extra £400k investment from Santini we easily had a top 7 budget this season. We had our most successful manager of recent times back again so I would expect that MP himself will see us not even making the play offs as a failure irrespective of what we all think. How bothered about that is he is the real question arguably.
The concern going forward with the rumoured budget cuts for next season is will we even be theoretical contenders next season?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
You can argue it either way but I am sure with the extra £400k investment from Santini we easily had a top 7 budget this season. We had our most successful manager of recent times back again so I would expect that MP himself will see us not even making the play offs as a failure irrespective of what we all think. How bothered about that is he is the real question arguably.
The concern going forward with the rumoured budget cuts for next season is will we even be theoretical contenders next season?
Our budget will still be competitive, its how we spend it then how we use the squad will be the main issues.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It will be interesting to see what next season brings. I think a lot will hinge on whether we recruit well in the summer. Last years was pretty dismal so hopefully we can get in early and bag some decent players.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It will be interesting to see what next season brings. I think a lot will hinge on whether we recruit well in the summer. Last years was pretty dismal so hopefully we can get in early and bag some decent players.
Big summer ahead of recruitment, will be especially hard with the 2 moneybags teams likely to come up from national league.

For me I don't mind if we have a couple of players in their mid 30s but much more than that and it's an issue, we certainly could do without the farce of the signing of Duffy

Player
Manager
John King
Big summer ahead of recruitment, will be especially hard with the 2 moneybags teams likely to come up from national league.

For me I don't mind if we have a couple of players in their mid 30s but much more than that and it's an issue, we certainly could do without the farce of the signing of Duffy
We also need to make sure the squad is in place before 30th July. We threw away potential points last August with a squad that was only half complete, and we can see now just how costly that was.

Reactions: Boz

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We also need to make sure the squad is in place before 30th July. We threw away potential points last August with a squad that was only half complete, and we can see now just how costly that was.
I can still recall the comments from Micky after the Rangers friendly about being more aggressive getting signings done only for 1 or 2 signings in the following 2 or 3 weeks

drwhoman

Let us hope that James Vaughan can have an impact. Signing the likes of Mani last summer was very odd.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, some very poor signings indeed.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes, some very poor signings indeed.
Off the top of my head I can think of:

Mcmanaman
Maynard
Maguire
Desiurvwe
Duffy
Walker
McPake
Ryan Watson
Liam Feeney

The last was a contract renewal but he was lucky to get one.

Some decent signings of course but hopefully more quality next time round

Player
Manager
John King

Mcmanaman
Maynard
Maguire
Desiurvwe
Duffy
Walker
McPake
Ryan Watson
Liam Feeney

Yes, I agree with all of them.

At least we have got a core of decent players under contract now, and one or two other good players likely to stay, rather than the standing start we had last summer.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

Mcmanaman
Maynard
Maguire
Desiurvwe
Duffy
Walker
McPake
Ryan Watson
Liam Feeney

Actually think some of those signings were reasonable. Watson not a bad player as he’s shown with Salford. I don’t feel Maynard was that poor either and McPake is hard to call either way.

Player
Manager
John King
I would have to disagree. McPake has offered very little and won't be retained, and Maynard was never going to contribute regularly at his age and in his state of fitness.

Watson simply did not perform, whatever he has done elsewhere, and was a failed signing.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Actually think some of those signings were reasonable. Watson not a bad player as he’s shown with Salford. I don’t feel Maynard was that poor either and McPake is hard to call either way.
McPake has rarely performed for us and has looked a shadow of the player who played against us last season. Rumours that Rangers are going to release him from the remainder of his contract