• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Andy Mangan

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
There are strong rumours circulating that Mangan will return in January, which would be no great surprise given Micky's comments at the recent Q&A.

I think centre forward is certainly a position where we need to strengthen. At the beginning of the season I thought we were well covered in this area, but Norwood's recent injury and suspension has made me reconsider. Darren Stephenson is still very raw and is not ready to start games regularly; despite his goals at Solihull, Kirby is never going to be good enough to play regularly; and Connor Jennings is more of a creative, number ten player than a striker, and Micky has already said that is the position where he will be used when he is fit. All of which leaves us a bit light up front, and it was noticeable in the Barrow and North Ferriby games (when Norwood was absent) that Cook got no support whatsoever from his strike partner.

As a result, I think signing Mangan is a good idea. The only worry I have regards his temperament, particularly if he does not start games regularly. However, we know that Brabin's man-management skills were awful and Mangan seems to have a rapport with Mellon, so perhaps there would not be an issue.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If Micky wants him, we can get him and we can afford him, then it's a no-brainer. He would add something we don't have. The only issue I have is that we would have a lot of forwards to keep fit and sharp. However, as RLC alludes, we could struggle up front with suspensions and injuries as the winter progresses. So if the finances allow, it would be a good insurance policy.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
unsure about this one, not doubting his talent but has had a few injuries and there were rumours of fall outs with players as well as the manager last time he was here

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
He's signed. We've paid a fee and given him an 18 month contract

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
well we sure have competition for places up front now, lets hope the service can be provided to the strikers to fire us up the league

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
One of Brabin's bigger mistakes was getting rid of Mangan so quickly. Micky has worked with him before and knows how to get the best out of him. Also can cope with his forthright manner. It wasn't the first area I thought we'd strengthen tbh, but a good player to have available

Player
Manager
John King
To be honest, I did not realise we could sign a Football League player outside the transfer window so for the deal to be completed tonight came as a surprise. There is no doubt Mangan is an excellent player at this level, and the only time we looked a decent side under Brabin was for the short period when he and Norwood played up front together.

I do share some of Mart's concerns regarding Mangan's temperament. However, Brabin fell out with numerous players when he was here, so who knows who was to blame for Andy's early departure. I hope Boz is right and Micky is able to handle him.

Our forward line certainly looks formidable now.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Last season we were desperately short of quality up front. There wasn't much competition or cover even before Andy left. Now we are well served in all departments, particularly if we can hang on to Ben Tollitt. I am more confident about defensive cover than I was. In any case, finding good defenders on loan is easier than decent forwards, as we found to our cost last season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
No big surprises to see Mangan back. Excellent news however. Mellon is no mug and I'm sure he'll be able to keep him in order. I'd echo bigmarts commments about his injuries though. As long as he stays fit, he'll be a real asset.

Another great move by the club too as there were a lot of unhappy supporters when Mangan left.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Mangan has a great cv. I hadn't realised he has been in two NL championship sides as well as playing for Micky three times previously. In the announcement on the OS, he is saying all the right things. I think his signing will lift everyone concerned with the club.

drwhoman

If he has worked with MM three times before he will be fine. I wonder if we paid what we got for him! Micky seems to be doing all the right things so far.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The club is certainly doing a good job repairing the damage done under GB. If we continue winning games the home attandences should improve too.

Player
Manager
John King
For Palios to approve this deal he must be confident Mangan won't cause problems in the dressing room. Interestingly, the Shrewsbury staff and supporters say what a great character he was to have around the club, even when he was not playing, which again brings Brabin's man-management skills into question.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
For Palios to approve this deal he must be confident Mangan won't cause problems in the dressing room. Interestingly, the Shrewsbury staff and supporters say what a great character he was to have around the club, even when he was not playing, which again brings Brabin's man-management skills into question.
We have been a bit light on characters since Andy Robinson left PP. And not doing that brilliantly. Let's hope he can keep the squad's spirits lifted when things don't go so well.

Player
Manager
John King
Latest score: FGR 1 Aldershot 1, 88th minute equaliser for The Shots. Get in.

A great result for us if that is how it finishes. A seven point gap would not be good psychologically at this stage.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's a shame that Rovers couldn't manage to move a game, Gateshead away for example to this weekend. As RLC says a 7 point gap feels vast.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Gutted. I hope FGR have a bad spell at some time as at the moment catching them is going to be difficult.

M

Mal

FGR will have a bad spell. It is inevitable. Suspensions and injuries will happen. I am confident tranmere will catch them.