• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Aldershot v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Didn't hear any of the commentary and the manager's post-match remarks on the o/s were not illuminating. I don't see why we pick a more attacking xi for an away game against a side with a perfect home record this season, by replacing Harris with Mekki, than the more defensive line up on Monday, home against the league's pointless bottom side. Even more baffling when Mekki was apparently playing through the middle, rather than out wide.

Losing this was disappointing, even accepting the Shots are decent opponents. We now have a tough home game against Danny Cowley's Imps. Braintree under his management were the best side to visit PP last season, they're in good form and Rovers will have to make a change as Jennings of the Steve variety picked up his 5th yellow and will be banned

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The decision to replace Harris with jennings made sense as it enabled Connor to play in his preferred position and he was much improved today. Our tactics were generally fine and did not cost us the game. Aldershots threat was out wide not through the middle. If the otherwise excellent Maynard stays on his feet rather than conceding the pen, we get a deserved point. It is as simple as that. Everyone had been calling for brabin to freshen things up. Today he did, our performance was improved, but a decent side beat us, somewhat fortunately.

drwhoman

As others have said, not the end of the world and I suppose it is better to lose the unbeaten tag now and then we can hopefully move on to another positive run. I too found it a bit strange that GB replaced Harris with Mekki but all history now. Not sure what the issue was with Vaughan, I hope it was just injury. Not a huge surprise that his replacement gave away the pen. For a game like yesterday Maynard should have been in midfield. Still he is a Gary favourite and a decent player at NL level. Losing a goal early never helps but after the equaliser we did not kick on. We have improved our attacking options this season but we still struggle to score goals, possibly due to our midfield, other than Hughes, being solid rather than hugely creative. No more than two in any game so far this season. May it change next week!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Disappointed but hey ho....records eventually hang around you like a noose so let's put this one to bed and start again.
Early days but it looks like all the current top eight or so are capable of taking points off each other, unlike last season when FGR and Cheltenham spanked most teams.
We need a win on Saturday to show we're not a flash in the pan and keep our in house moaners subdued!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
For all the dominance in the second half I think we should have been testing the keeper more. Were there any signs of fatigue today?

Player
Manager
John King
We did test their keeper. He made good saves from norwood and Jennings, the latter a one on one. It was a highly competitive game with few chances for either side. It was a much better display than the previous two games and there was no fatigue, in part due to the changes the manager is now being castigated for......

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Ian mentions fatigue.
I was listening to Merseyside on internet (on hols ☔) and sent my lad a text after about 70 mins to say we would concede cos it sounded like there was no energy. If it was fatigue then that creates a whole new dilemma for GB..
Hope that wasn't the case and it was just 'one of those days. From other posts and what their manager said it's the latter.
Jennos suspension brings unavoidable tinkering.
Harris a straight swap - or Vaughan back and Lois in middle?
Let's see GB earn his corn for his next MOM award!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, RLC. Probably in other games at least one of those chances would have gone in and the result could have been different. When you lose, the important thing is to bounce back. If we beat Lincoln, I'll be a lot happier than if we had drawn both games and remained unbeaten. Trying to keep that run going could mean you are happy with a point. I think we are capable of beating any NL side anywhere, so should always go for 3 points. It looks like GB went for the win today with positive line-up but it just didn't work out.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Perhaps RLC or anyone else who was at the game can confirm if Mekki was playing centrally rather than out wide? We need to avoid the square pegs/round holes approach to team selection which contributed to last season's failure.

There is some doubt as to whether Jennings S has actually accumulated 5 bookings; can only find 4 Barrow, Eastleigh, Boreham Wood and today. It would be preferable if he was available for Lincoln.

Player
Manager
John King
Don't think s Jennings is banned. Currently on a train from Euston delayed by three hours but will post a summary in the wee small hours when I get home

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It must have been a late one RLC!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds like a mare of a journey home, RLC. Hope you made it eventually.

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks chaps, finally rolled into Lime Street at 1.30 am.

I thought I would add a summary to my earlier rambling comments.

In the first twenty minutes we were quite poor, with a lot of possession of the ball but playing at the same pedestrian pace as in the Bank Holiday matches. The Aldershot players and crowd were well up for the game and Waddock clearly had a game plan to soak up pressure and hit us with the pace of Fenelon on the counter attack. This is how the first goal arose, Fenelon left unmarked on the right wing whipped a dangerous ball into the box which was slotted home. In the opening stages we continued to dominate possession but created little, whereas Aldershot looked a threat on the counter. Midway through the half Rovers finally clicked into gear, with Connor Jennings becoming prominent in his midfield role. Our football in the next 45-50 minutes was as good as it has been all season and we created good opportunities: Connor Jennings missing a one-on-one with the keeper; Norwood slotting just wide after a great run and cross from Maynard; and Cook finally scoring a deserved equaliser with a superb header into the top corner.

After the break, the match continued in a similar vein with Rovers well on top: Norwood forced their keeper into a good save with another angled drive and Cook had a good header cleared off the line. At the sixty to seventy minute mark I could not see any way Aldershot could get back into the match as they had been subdued for a long period. However, a long stoppage for an injury to one of their players seemed to disrupt us, and with twenty minutes to go the Shots had a little spell of pressure which resulted in a ball into the box, a rash challenge from Maynard and a needless penalty. Rendell fired home, and the Shots fans went berserk. A couple of minutes later we conceded a quick-fire third from a corner when we still appeared punch drunk from the unexpected penalty. The remainder of the game was difficult for Rovers with the game becoming stretched and the vocal home support in jubilant mood, as you can imagine.

My overall feeling coming away from the ground was that it was a highly competitive, entertaining game against the best team we have played so far, yet we had thrown a point away. We did not deserve to lose over the ninety minutes and with more defensive discipline in the closing stages we could have earned at least a draw.

Tactically, I thought Brabin was right to freshen things up and the display was much improved on the previous two. However, the gamble in playing Mekki did not pay off, as he was terrible. He offered little attacking threat, but more importantly did not track the full back on this side of the pitch. Waddock - the 'Ginger Mourinho' as the Aldershot fans call him - is obviously quite astute tactically and had the home team playing with width and pace, with both full backs bombing on to exploit our narrow system. This demanded that Mekki followed their left back when he attacked, but he failed to do this and left Maynard exposed and Norwood to do his work for him. I think this may have been the reason for switching Mekki to the centre for periods of the game, but in my view he should simply have been substituted.

More generally, I thought switching Jennings to the centre improved the quality of our football. However, I did get the impression that Brabin was tactically outdone by a manager getting the absolute maximum out of a more limited group of players. In possession of the ball Aldershot were certainly not as good a side as Rovers and were happy to simply kick us the ball and defend their half of the pitch for long periods. However, with Fenelon on the wing, their counter-attacking game was more effective than any of the sides we have faced previously.

In conclusion, I think it was a decent display from Rovers and some of the reactions to the defeat have been hysterical and unhelpful. Supporters have been calling for Brabin to be more adventurous: well yesterday he was, and unfortunately we came out losers in a decent game. Perhaps he should have made changes for the Guiseley game, but having played with the same eleven last Monday there was no doubt we needed some fresh ideas and legs yesterday.

I am no fan of GB, but realistically he could not have done any more this season. We were undefeated in seven, top of the league, and unbeaten away from home in nine months. We are going to lose games and I would rather we did it against a decent team away from home, than to someone like North Ferriby. I think need to lay off the manager a bit and see how things develop in the next five to ten games. We have so many things going for us this season and excessive negativity from the crowd could be our undoing.

Finally, a word for both sets of supporters yesterday. They contributed to a cracking atmosphere, the best at a Rovers game in ages.

A massive match next Saturday and we need the three points.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the report RLC.

I've just watched Waddocks post match comments and he admitted they were 2nd best for much of the 2nd half against the best side they have faced up to now, but that his substitutions made a big difference.

A shame about Mekki but I was surprised he started away from home. As Boz alluded to, perhaps we should have been set up more defensively as Mekki can't have been match fit and isn't suited to any defensive work. You wonder also whether Vaughan would have committed the foul like Maynard did for the pen as the latter is a square peg in a round hole, especially when Lois did do well in his holding midfield role of late and in my view should be starting in that position with either Harris and Jenno in the middle and Hughes at lb, or ridehalgh at left back and 2 from Hughes, Jenno and harris in the middle.

Lincoln will be interesting and another test. They lie 3rd

Player
Manager
John King
Our best results this season all came with Maynard in the defensive midfield role and I agree with Sparky that he should be moved back to that position. I have no idea why Vaughan was dropped from the squad completely yesterday as I thought he had done well this season.

On another issue, we picked up three stupid bookings yesterday for dissent to the officials. We know referees are rubbish at this level, but constant backchat to the officials is only going to harm ourselves in the end through needless suspensions. I don't think the manager sets the right example with his constant whingeing at the fourth official and I think this is a problem that needs to be addressed.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
RLC Thanks for the report and your overall views on team set-up and tactics. Let's hope GB get's it right next Saturday.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Good point about dissent RLC and the poor example from the manager.

In many a post match interview he's had a pop at the officials. I think after the guisely match he almost sniggered about the linesmans poor decision. Sometimes this will be justified of course but you wonder whether he harps on about it in front of the players.

3 bookings for dissent in one match is pretty bad and some clubs would fine the players. Bet GB doesnt

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report RLC.

My thought is that it would have been better to have tried the new formation v Guiseley. Also have to wonder why Lee Vaughan is so out of favour that Sutton is preferred ahead of him on the bench. Let's see what Saturday brings.

Player
Manager
John King
My thought is that it would have been better to have tried the new formation v Guiseley..

Yes, I agree. If we had, we would have won that game 4-0 (and probably taken something yesterday).

Last edited:
M

Mal

unfortunately, Hindsight is a fellow who always misses opportunities. Last season brabin was berated by some for changing a winning team, albeit not on this forum. I do think fine tuning is needed to make better use of a very good set of strikers.