• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Aiston and Wilson released.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Tranmere have today released Sam Aiston and Steve Wilson. I've got to say i'm happy Wilson is leaving but not sure over Aiston. I think he may have been good in a confident team. I think low confidence was why he was so inconsistent last season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think this is a good move. If you read the forums, I'm sure you all know I'm not a big fan of Wilson. Good riddance really. Aiston on the other hand, was simply OK. He could have one good game against five bad ones. Far too inconsistant and could never last 90 minutes. Looking forward, it's a good step. These players wouldn't have improved the squad next season and that's what Ronnie us ultimately looking to do. I'm sure we'll see more comings and goings within the next week.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
More dead weight being dropped. All good news.

While I am sure Aiston wasn't a bad player, but probably at about the right level, mid to low league one. Not the kind of player to look to when building a side aiming for the future, and future promotion to the championship. So not a massive loss really, particularly if we can sign a winger who can put in more consistant crosses in his place.

Wilson was an awful goalkeeper and was another blatant 'jobs for the boys' from Brian Little. I echo Ian's "good riddance" on that one.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Yes i'm sure we can get better than Aiston, its just whether we will or not. I would have been tempted to keep Aiston as a squad player because he looked dangerous when used the right way.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Steve Wilson simply not good enough.

Sammy Aiston, tried hard but his final ball often lacked quality. I wish hi well though at Northampton, think he could do well at that level.