• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two AFC Horwich v Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just the performance we needed. Excellent lads, keep it going.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Game over!!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
What pleased me most was the players brought in. Sid was no nonsense and doesn’t give you the worries every time a ball goes back to him. He’s almost like a younger version of Clarke, nice and vocal and doesn’t mess around.

Credit to hill for bringing Young in to the side who was excellent too. Keith will have enjoyed that game for sure as some had questions about him after last week, just a shame the SWA weren’t there.

a result I never expected so Hats off to the players and staff

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A thoroughly deserved win and comfortable in the end, although they had chances we were overall much the better team.

Sid was nonsense and should get a run in the side now, only downside was Spearing being injured.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A superb performance by Rovers, who outclassed a very mediocre Bolton side.

I thought we were shaky defensively in the first fifteen minutes, perhaps due to the personnel changes, but once we settled and got our passing game going, we were in complete control. We looked much more comfortable back in the diamond formation, but it was also noticeable that we mixed our game up much more today, going long at times rather than trying to pass out from the back on every occasion.

When Spearing went off injured, Bolton did briefly come back into the game and the back four looked more exposed, but fortunately Kieron's strike came at the perfect time.

I thought pretty much everybody played well, with Feeney, Morris and Spearing excellent in possession, and Sid giving exactly the kind of no-nonsense performance we needed at the back. McDonald was impressive out of position and Vaughan was excellent leading the line and defensively on the set plays. However, I thought Young was man of the match. His vision, composure and distribution were fantastic for such a young player, who has been frozen out of the first team picture for weeks.

Hopefully Spearing's injury is not too serious.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A very good day for us in other ways. The top three teams all lost, moving us another three points closer to the automatics.

This is a crazy league. Eight out of the ten teams who won beat teams above them in the table, including us of course.

Merry Christmas, everyone - from Tier 4. Stay safe!

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Great result! Will look forward to catching the highlights later.

Player
ian goodison
made up with the result today and hopefully may keep the hill bashers on the paddock forum quiet it seems like it will be a topsy tervy league for a while

ADD

Player
Norwood
Pretty much agree with others - we were pretty poor to start off particularly our passing but got much much better and looked far more cohesive as the game went on. Young was excellent - a real curveball pick really considering he apparently was back playing for Newcastle U23's this past week presumably expecting to go back in January! Thought CBT was still a bit off the pace - definitely more involved but his touch was lacking on many occasions.
McDonald also did well out of position - still not sure why he was subbed last w/e. All in all an excellent result - let's hope the blip is over and Hill has made all the mistakes he takes responsibility for for some time:)

Player
Manager
John King
I have only just realised, after listening to the This is Tranmere podcast, that Kahn was not in the squad either today. Hill certainly made some big decisions this week.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Pleased for Hill today. He made changes and we were solid for most of the match against big rivals. Credit were credit is due, is what a great performance and an excellent result. Clarke and Nelson looked like a good pairing at the back and I was really impressed with Jack Young. Any news on the injuries from today?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Pleased for Hill today. He made changes and we were solid for most of the match against big rivals. Credit were credit is due, is what a great performance and an excellent result. Clarke and Nelson looked like a good pairing at the back and I was really impressed with Jack Young. Any news on the injuries from today?

only spearing mentioned which Hill thinks will be fine, just a precaution

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Having seen only brief highlights of Exeter and none of this game yet, would be interested in why people think there was such a difference between the two games? On paper, the side Keith sent out last weekend was as strong as the one today and yet totally different outcomes. Vaughan's availability for today obviously a significant plus and some might say Monthe's absence and starting Sid Nelson was also be important.

Keith Hill and the management team deserve praise for making these calls, given the outcome.

Player
Manager
John King
Having seen only brief highlights of Exeter and none of this game yet, would be interested in why people think there was such a difference between the two games? On paper, the side Keith sent out last weekend was as strong as the one today and yet totally different outcomes. Vaughan's availability for today obviously a significant plus and some might say Monthe's absence and starting Sid Nelson was also be important.

Keith Hill and the management team deserve praise for making these calls, given the outcome.
I think the change of formation back to the diamond, Young in midfield to help Spearing, Vaughan and CBT up front, and Nelson in place of Manny, were all big factors. Plus, the difference in the general application and attitude of the players.

Also, the defence not taking as many risks playing out from the back and inviting pressure from the opposition. We went long when we needed to.

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes a lot was down to attitude but the first goal in any game is always key. Scottie made a fairly routine save in the first 10 mins but if that had gone in, heads could have dropped after our recent defeats.

Plus I think Exeter are a stronger side than Bolton