• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Adam Mekki

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Signed on a 6 month deal. He scored and was one of the better players v Shrewsbury, also looked sharp when coming on v Blackburn. Offers something different and despite a patchy last year or so, with a couple of clubs, think this is a good move.
My only query is the short contract. While understandable for players who have to prove their fitness, like Matt Hill (or Woodards last season), those issues don't apply here. Maybe Brabin thinks will keep him on his toes keen to impress for an extension.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
He has looked decent in pre-season and deserves an opportunity. As Boz says, his CV is not that impressive - surprising, really, as he obviously has ability - and Brabin is probably right to keep his options open with a short-term deal.

I still have no idea who the other winger we have on trial is: not Jackson at Oxford, who looks nothing like him.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
He is not exactly a marquee signing, but GB has obviously seen enough of him to give him a chance. It must be very difficult for triallists to play at their best in pre-season games, as they are unlikely to be match fit and are playing with a bunch of strangers. I think the six-month deal is fair to both sides.

It's worth noting that CVs don't always give a reliable indication of promise. The classic example for me is a striker who played a handful of games for each of his first five and his last two league clubs, scoring just four goals in total. However, he spent 10 years at his other club, becoming their record goalscorer with 142 in the league and 38 in other competitions. Who was he? Ian Muir.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's been suggested the other winger was Courtney Cameron, who was at Torquay. Didn't impress in the 45 minutes last weekend, but apparently played well v Everton.

I agree with BBTC that it's what they do for Rovers rather than anyone else that counts.

M

Mal

We are only in the NationalLeague. Let us see how he copes at this level. To be honest, that goes for all the new players.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Is Mekki the guy who scored against Shrewbury? I was at the game but had no idea who imwas watching. Bunch of strangers!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We are only in the NationalLeague. Let us see how he copes at this level.

Mekki has had a few failures at this level though, being released by both Barnet and Dover last season.

However, he definitely has some ability and hopefully Brabin will get the best out of him.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
To be fair, a lot of these players have been floating around these leagues for years. Like RLC says, let's hope GB can get the best of of them and we see a bit of magic on the pitch.

Paul Roach

Player
Ian Muir, Kenny Irons
Mekki, I think will be a good signing! He looked good and I'm sure he will gel in the weeks to come, like a lot of the squad. The other winger,the number 11, I think we should give him the same type of contract and see how it goes. It's been a while since we've been such a threat down the wing.