• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Adam Dawson

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I saw some interesting stats earlier regarding Dawson's previous spell at the club. Of the eight matches he featured in, we won 4, drew 3 and lost only 1, which was the Beastleigh match when we were reduced to nine men. That spell included the 2-2 draw at Wrexham, the 4-0 win against Bromley and the 3-1 comeback game against Aldershot, certainly the most exciting and positive performances we produced under Brabin. Dawson seemed to link up well with Norwood and, particularly, Mangan.

If we can keep him fit - a big 'if' you might say - there could be exciting times ahead.

drwhoman

It is interesting that Mellon has signed him despite his issues. MM is no fool and he clearly sees potential in a guy who has not played for him before. It suggests Micky was keeping a tab on developments at Tranmere notwithstanding his commitment to Shrewsbury. What any good manager would do I suppose.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Another popular move by the club. Onwards and upwards!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Micky is new in the job and hasn't put a foot wrong so far. He's his own man and knows what and who he wants. We need a bigger squad with more goalscorers and creative players to insure against injuries and suspensions. He's clearly got the owners' full backing emotionally and financially. His first two signings are great news.

BTW, I assume Osborne has gone, which leaves Tollitt as our only loanee. That's another positive as we have full control of our squad.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Danny Holmes released by Fylde to join a NLP side.
Surely not........

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I loved DH commitment to the club but he's no better than what we have.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If Danny is joining another NL side, will that put a stop to his coaching of Rovers youngsters?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Like Ian I'm a fan of Danny but we don't need him.

Vaughan and Sutton are both decent at RB. We arguably need cover at LB as Ridehalgh has no competition as Hughes has been excellent of late in the middle.

That said, Rides has also been playing well of late.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, I would agree that we don't need Danny. I actually think Lee Vaughan is an excellent attacking right back and is underrated. He is certainly more suited to Mellon's style of play than Holmes.

Player
Manager
John King
Interesting to read that Micky considered signing Dawson when he was at Shrewsbury, which suggests he really rates him. Interesting too that he comments on his ability to hold the ball and retain comfortable possession, a quality lacking in most players at this level and something that is overlooked by his doubters.

I have also read that in his short spell at Eastleigh Dawson had five assists and one goal.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yep. I thought he was very confident moving forward with the ball. Good close control, likes to take people on, and is always positive. Good old fashioned winger in a sense.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting to read that Micky considered signing Dawson when he was at Shrewsbury, which suggests he really rates him. Interesting too that he comments on his ability to hold the ball and retain comfortable possession, a quality lacking in most players at this level and something that is overlooked by his doubters.

I have also read that in his short spell at Eastleigh Dawson had five assists and one goal.

So why didn't Micky sign him for the Shrews? It would not have been a major outlay for a L1/2 side for a player MM really rated.

Maybe Ronnie was able to teach him something then, given his solitary assist during his shortish spell at Rovers. Though it's a surprise that Dawson wasn't a more regular starter on the south coast if he was doing so well.

Player
Manager
John King
So why didn't Micky sign him for the Shrews? It would not have been a major outlay for a L1/2 side for a player MM really rated.

Maybe Ronnie was able to teach him something then, given his solitary assist during his shortish spell at Rovers.

I think someone once cited lies, damned lies and statistics. I have never believed the one about Dawson only contributing one assist while at at Rovers. Who was the originator of that stat ? Opta, or someone on the Cowsheds forum, LOL. In any case, what is a genuine 'assist' anyway ? Watch the footage of the Chester game last season and you will see Dawson pulling defenders out of position, creating space for others. Like Mellon, I trust the evidence of my own eyes and I think he is a good, creative player.

As for why Mellon did not sign him, I would imagine he spotted him when he was still under contract at Leicester. In addition to which, as a manager of a League One club he would obviously be able to attract more established players with League experience. What is important is that he has signed him now.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha. Ridiculous article but a funny one. He's a good addition to the squad and will improve us. He also fits in with how MM wants to play going forward.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think someone once cited lies, damned lies and statistics. I have never believed the one about Dawson only contributing one assist while at at Rovers. Who was the originator of that stat ? Opta, or someone on the Cowsheds forum, LOL. In any case, what is a genuine 'assist' anyway ? Watch the footage of the Chester game last season and you will see Dawson pulling defenders out of position, creating space for others.
While I agree with you that Dawson has and will contribute to the team in other ways, there is general understanding of 'an assist' as a pass/cross which helps to score a goal. Think the assist he was credited with was for one of the goals at Southport, you've not suggested any others. I can't recall any crosses comparable with those from Sutton and Stephenson for Norwood to net with a header, delivered from Adam's boot, for example.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Does it really matter? Let's just see how he does under MM and we can look at his contribution at the end of the season.