• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Adam Dawson

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Has been released by Eastleigh and seems to be on his way back to us.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Incredible. The world's longest transfer saga since Luis Suarez' move to Barcelona.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hmmm

Meanwhile Steve Jennings having an op and out for about 6 weeks. With Maynard back and forth on international duty and Micky not keen on giving Duggan a run-out, things are looking a bit thin in central midfield.

Player
Manager
John King
I am not overly concerned about central midfield as we have three senior players competing for probably only two starting places, even without Jennings. Obviously losing Jennings for such a long period is a blow, whatever his critics would say.

It is obvious Micky wants to play with more width and Dawson is a good player. I will be pleased if this signing goes through.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm Positively salivating at the thought of a 4-4-2 against Chester on Saturday with Tollitt and Dawson out wide, Hughes and Harris in the middle and Mangan up top with Cook.

Goals goals goals !!

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I am not overly concerned about central midfield as we have three senior players competing for probably only two starting places, even without Jennings. Obviously losing Jennings for such a long period is a blow, whatever his critics would say.

It is obvious Micky wants to play with more width and Dawson is a good player. I will be pleased if this signing goes through.

3 senior players in central midfield; Harris, Hughes, Maynard? If Lois is on international duty then that leaves us with 2. It's manageable, but would be more comfortable with another experienced player available. Agree that despite his faults, Steve Jennings will be missed during the recovery period.

Tollit, Stephenson, Almond, Mekki and Kirby can all play out wide. If Dawson has got the fitness and mental side sorted, then he would undoubtedly be a useful addition, but given the options already at the club, it doesn't feel an area where we're desperate for reinforcements.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm not convinced any of Mekki, Kirby or Almond are good enough to be in a promotion winning team. Stephenson probably the same altho still young.

Whereas Dawson had genuine quality. Pace and set pieces too. I'm not sure where all this stuff about his state of mind comes from. He clearly wants to be based up north as his missus is expecting. A bit odd why he went down south in the first place but I'm sure he had his reasons.

All season he's either started or been on the bench for Eastleigh so should be fit.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree completely with Sparky. Aside from their abilities, none of Kirby, Almond or Stephenson are genuine wingers and Mellon clearly does not rate Mekki. Hence, if he wants to play with two wingers at the moment he can't. He has only one option, Tollitt, who is not even our player. So I am not sure how you can conclude that we are already overstocked with wingers.

As for midfield, we are in an injury crisis at the moment, but I don't believe we should sign a permanent player every time we lose a player for a couple of months. Do we really bring in another defensive midfielder when we already have Jennings, Harris, Maynard and Hughes on the books, who can all play that position ? It would be crazy in my view. The loan market is obviously an option, but I think we have to ride this period of injuries and suspensions.

More generally, I think Mellon is trying to give greater balance to the squad. He wants to be able to play as many different systems, try as many different permutations as possible, and I think that is why we are (allegedly) signing Dawson.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The mental thing is his inability to stay anywhere for long. He's played for about a dozen clubs in the last five years and apart from the first spells at Nuneaton Town doesn't seem to have delivered on a consistent basis. He's featured in about half of Eastleigh's games this season. In his last spell at Rovers, he was decent at set-pieces, but scored none and only one assist. Faster that what we had then, perhaps, but no great pace, Stephenson is faster. With the right mindset and an effort to be more incisive and reduce the stepovers he could prove an asset.

Re midfielders, recruitment does not need to be confined to a defensive player, another creative central midfielder would extend the options available.

Player
Manager
John King
Re midfielders, recruitment does not need to be confined to a defensive player, another creative central midfielder would extend the options available.
At the Q&A Mellon confirmed he would like another, more creative midfield player. However, the right player won't be any easier to find just because Jennings is injured.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm not convinced any of Mekki, Kirby or Almond are good enough to be in a promotion winning team. Stephenson probably the same altho still young.
Completely agree. From the mindset of looking at promotion and future prospects, Mekki is not good enough and will always be playing in lower league. Not sure why we signed Almond. We know all about Kirby and I do think Stephenson has real talent but is still quite raw. Certainly one for the future though given the right coaching.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
At the Q&A Mellon confirmed he would like another, more creative midfield player. However, the right player won't be any easier to find just because Jennings is injured.
Equally the need for such a player increases because of Jennings' absence

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
No big surprise but Dawson signs. Really looking forward to this Chester game (not that I wasn't before!) if that makes sense.

I know Boz has some reservations but I think MM will get the best out of him and the way we are setup to play now will suit him even more as I really liked his attacking style of play and his ability to take players on.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It would have been a sensible decision to give him a deal to the end of the season, to hopefully act as an incentive to Adam to try and earn a longer deal. Not convinced about the wisdom of an 18 month deal.

I'm unsure if he'll start v Chester, given how well we played at Dover, who would you drop to fit him in? Good option to have on the bench.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Boz - the O/s says the contract is until the end of next season. 17/18.

Like Ian one of things I always liked about Dawson was he was really positive. Taking players on and getting balls in the box. Hopefully from corners and free kicks the likes of Cook and Big Mac will thrive.

As Boz says after such a good performance at Dover it would be harsh to make any changes unless enforced. One for the pre match thread!

Player
Manager
John King
We will have to make changes from the Dover game as Maynard is not available. In fact, we will probably change formation as we only have two experienced midfielders available. I like the fact Dawson has been offered a relatively long contract as it encourages him to settle down for the first time in his career.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sparky, I was told wrong but have now checked the o/s and amended the comment, thanks.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
No worries Boz!

Like RLC says hopefully the time has come for Dawson to put down some roots (especially with a ball and chain due !)

drwhoman

Good news. I feel sorry for Almond as I think he was a desperation signing by GB based on Carden's views. I suspect it was too late for Rovers to back out once GB got the P45. I can see him and Mekki going out on loan before too long. Do we know when Connor Jennings will be back? He will definitely add to the team as I know MM will play him in his correct position.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think C Jennings is still a few weeks away.