• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Accrington

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm unsure if there's a limit on the number of loanees you can have, but think the rule is you can't use more than 5 of them at once.

Have to say that while I used to like Accrington, their chairman's attitude following our demotion makes me want to see them come horribly unstuck.

drwhoman

I'm unsure if there's a limit on the number of loanees you can have, but think the rule is you can't use more than 5 of them at once.

Have to say that while I used to like Accrington, their chairman's attitude following our demotion makes me want to see them come horribly unstuck.
I always had a historic soft spot for them after they were demoted in 1960 which was done by the vote of the other Clubs back then. It was a rare event. The bottom club usually got back in which is one reason they changed the rules. Quite ironic really dont you think given what happened to us!?

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I always had a historic soft spot for them after they were demoted in 1960 which was done by the vote of the other Clubs back then. It was a rare event. The bottom club usually got back in which is one reason they changed the rules. Quite ironic really dont you think given what happened to us!?
I wonder where our vote went back in 1960 and whether karma exists?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I wonder where our vote went back in 1960 and whether karma exists?
They lost their place in the league in mid-season because they went bust through financial mismanagement. One story I heard was that the chairman bought the old grandstand from Cheltenham racecourse but then found it was too long to fit into Peel Park. Unbelievable!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
They lost their place in the league in mid-season because they went bust through financial mismanagement. One story I heard was that the chairman bought the old grandstand from Cheltenham racecourse but then found it was too long to fit into Peel Park. Unbelievable!
Thanks BBTC! Just googled it - March 1962.

Last edited:

drwhoman

You are correct BBTC And I do remember the grandstand fiasco! Normally, the bottom four had to apply for re-election and they usually got back in. Accrington were, of course, very much a back marker in those days, a time when the other Lancashire clubs were powers in the land. Blackburn, Burnley, Bolton and even Preston played in the Cup Final in the late 50s and early 60s. Only Bolton won, against a Munich air crash weakened Man Utd in 58 when Nat Lofthouse barged the Utd goalie into the net with the ball! Imagine that today!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King

I notice that Andy Holt is now calling for the season to be extended to ensure it is completed, as his club are in the play off mix. Interesting that he did not do the same last season when they were on the fringe of the relegation places and was happy to send us down on PPG.......

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I notice that Andy Holt is now calling for the season to be extended to ensure it is completed, as his club are in the play off mix. Interesting that he did not do the same last season when they were on the fringe of the relegation places and was happy to send us down on PPG.......
Says it all about the man.

Reactions: Boz

drwhoman

A pretty pathetic effort from Holt. Something similar from Sam Alladyce wanting the PL stopped for two weeks after WBA got belted by Leeds. One would think that he might want more time to work with his squad!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A pretty pathetic effort from Holt. Something similar from Sam Alladyce wanting the PL stopped for two weeks after WBA got belted by Leeds. One would think that he might want more time to work with his squad!
He wasn't calling for it to be suspended after they drew at liverpool.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It all very typical of the modern game where everyone is out for themselves and couldn't give a stuff about anyone else.

drwhoman

He wasn't calling for it to be suspended after they drew at liverpool.
True bigmart. But it was about the time of the 5-0 flogging by Leeds! Another 4-0 beating yesterday. Just shows how pathetic Liverpool were to draw 1-1 although if I am more charitable - Albion were so knackered after their back to the wall effort at Anfield they were easy meat afterwards! Sam might wish he had stayed retired!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Accrington were, of course, very much a back marker in those days, a time when the other Lancashire clubs were powers in the land. Blackburn, Burnley, Bolton and even Preston played in the Cup Final in the late 50s and early 60s. Only Bolton won, against a Munich air crash weakened Man Utd in 58 when Nat Lofthouse barged the Utd goalie into the net with the ball! Imagine that today!
And don't forget Blackpool - the Matthews final - although even I was too young to remember that one!

The maximum wage soon shifted footballing power from the towns to the big cities and then the Premier League virtually completed the job. Burnley are now the only one in the top flight (or close to it) but are not exactly a power in the land anymore.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Burnley are now the only one in the top flight (or close to it) but are not exactly a power in the land anymore.
I like Burnley purely for the fact that they’ve shown complete faith in their manager. Very rare these days. I think they have just secured more funding too from a majority takeover so SD may have money to spend.

drwhoman

And don't forget Blackpool - the Matthews final - although even I was too young to remember that one!

The maximum wage soon shifted footballing power from the towns to the big cities and then the Premier League virtually completed the job. Burnley are now the only one in the top flight (or close to it) but are not exactly a power in the land anymore.
The decline in the cotton and coal industries has also contributed encouraging younger people to move away to the bigger cities where they will often support the bigger clubs.