• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Accrington v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Another huge game for Rovers, as they look to bridge the gap to League One safety.

In the next month we play six successive matches against teams in the bottom half of the table, and I think we need to win at least three of those games to have a realistic chance of survival, given the difficulty of the run in.

Accrington have a decent home record, are well managed by John Coleman and have some dangerous individuals such as Colby Bishop and Sean McConville. However, this is definitely a game we should be looking to win. Accrington's experienced centre half, Mark Hughes, has been ruled out for the season, which is a loss for them.

I would start with the same eleven that played at Shrewsbury. Hopefully the ten day lay off will have benefitted the players returning from long term injury (Ellis, McCullough) and will not have resulted in a loss of momentum.

I think about 1,000 SWA will travel and hopefully our recent improvement will continue.

Last edited:

ADD

Player
Norwood
Yes sadly I would agree - a large squad available now but not really many kicking down the manager's door deserving to be picked. Woods maybe if fit enough after Tuesday and Banks on the bench.
ps anyone know where Nelson is? did not play on Tuesday and not injured according to MM - strange one...

Player
Manager
John King
Nelson clearly was not involved as he is closer to the starting eleven. The same is true of Jennings, Danns and Perkins.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Really?? He wasn't even on the bench against Shrewsbury yet he wasn't injured so I was surprised he didn't play Tuesday. The others I fully understand yes which is why I mentioned only Nelson.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Nelson clearly was not involved as he is closer to the starting eleven. The same is true of Jennings, Danns and Perkins.
Really?? He wasn't even on the bench against Shrewsbury yet he wasn't injured so I was surprised he didn't play Tuesday. The others I fully understand yes which is why I mentioned only Nelson.
Ray was picked ahead of Nelson around the time that Clarke got injured, so Sid wouldn’t appear to be in the same category as the other trio.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Haven’t got a ticket for this, but as tickets available on the day might yet go (unless anyone wants to bribe me to stay away ;))
I agree unchanged team from Shrewsbury makes sense.

Player
Manager
John King
Ray was picked ahead of Nelson around the time that Clarke got injured, so Sid wouldn’t appear to be in the same category as the other trio.
Ray is returning from injury and needed minutes on Tuesday (the same with Gumbs). For that reason he is currently behind Nelson in the pecking order, if not in the long term.

Player
Manager
John King
Manny would always be preferred to him on the bench when Clarke and Ellis start.

You were clearly insinuating something more sinister........

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
they are very good at home and will be too good for us

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I can’t predict the result, as like many games this season it depends which Rovers team turns up. If it’s the Watford or the Shrewsbury mentality, we have a great chance of winning. If it’s Chester, we’ll be dead and buried by halftime.

Seriously, we need to gather some momentum. This game is definitely winnable and is one of the “easier” away games we have left. A win or a fighting draw would be a boost. A defeat or a draw from a winning position would put us back to where we were before Shrewsbury.

Player
aldo
all i want is a well trained hard team that the other team hates playing . a good start and cookie finaly getting a goal think its going to be like buses he will get one then two and knowing the cookie 3 . despite what some think i think our best chances are going to be away from home . our pitch is shocking the lads will love being on good ones and don,t seem to have adapted to the mud bath that is pp

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A defeat or a draw from a winning position would put us back to where we were before Shrewsbury.
Completely agree. No point earning those three points if we don't follow it up with a similar performance. We need some consistency and a decent run of results to lift everyone. Need to keep believing while we still have a chance so I'm going for a 2-1 win with Cookie and CBT on the scoresheet.

Player
aldo
if i could like it 3 times i would lets get positive come on lads lets get the 3 points and sing from start to finish . come on cookie break your duckie

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Woke up feeling crap, the footballing gods obviously want to keep me from going today. It may be a good omen given my recent history of watching Rovers on their travels!

ADD

Player
Norwood
Manny would always be preferred to him on the bench when Clarke and Ellis start.

You were clearly insinuating something more sinister........
Well there have been rumours online that he has been told to find another club by MM... but no given he hasn't gone out on loan I would have expected him to play Tuesday and given he isn't injured I was asking if anyone knew why he didn't play... no more no less.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Today was the first date that went into my diary when the fixtures came out last Summer. A walk to the ground, a full house for the weekend and a family gathering this evening. It should be a blinder!

@Boz your absence may be counteracted by the first appearance this season of my sister who doesn't have a great record. I'm hoping it's a nice change for her being SWA rather than SWA Widow for the day. It's currently about 7 degrees and sunny, which is akin to a Summer's day in these parts, so hopefully it will stay dry for the match.

Regarding the match, I'm not overly optimistic about the result. Accrington are a good team and, on their day, are capable of beating anybody in this league - as they have done over the last couple of seasons. Our performance at Shrewsbury was great but we'll have a better indication today as to whether that sparks a change in momentum or whether is was just a good day. Personally I would be delighted with a win but would absolutely take a draw. If we are outplayed and well beaten I think that will signal the death knell for us, as the players will know that on paper this is one of our most winnable matches.

In hope, rather than conviction, I'm going for a 1-2 win and a continuation of the improved form shown last Tuesday. A big day today!

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
Well there have been rumours online that he has been told to find another club by MM... but no given he hasn't gone out on loan I would have expected him to play Tuesday and given he isn't injured I was asking if anyone knew why he didn't play... no more no less.
It is no secret that several players were made available for transfer in January, probably including Nelson.

However, that does not imply there has been any falling out with the manager, something you suggested a couple of posts ago in relation to both Ferrier and Payne.

Player
Manager
John King
Today was the first date that went into my diary when the fixtures came out last Summer. A walk to the ground, a full house for the weekend and a family gathering this evening. It should be a blinder!

@Boz your absence may be counteracted by the first appearance this season of my sister who doesn't have a great record. I'm hoping it's a nice change for her being SWA rather than SWA Widow for the day. It's currently about 7 degrees and sunny, which is akin to a Summer's day in these parts, so hopefully it will stay dry for the match.

Regarding the match, I'm not overly optimistic about the result. Accrington are a good team and, on their day, are capable of beating anybody in this league - as they have done over the last couple of seasons. Our performance at Shrewsbury was great but we'll have a better indication today as to whether that sparks a change in momentum or whether is was just a good day. Personally I would be delighted with a win but would absolutely take a draw. If we are outplayed and well beaten I think that will signal the death knell for us, as the players will know that on paper this is one of our most winnable matches.

In hope, rather than conviction, I'm going for a 1-2 win and a continuation of the improved form shown last Tuesday. A big day today!
I take it you grew up in Lancashire then ONIGP ?